Your Take
comments

Your Take: Your Favorite Credit Card?

JD PowerEvery year, JD Power & Associates puts out a credit card customer satisfaction survey in which all the major credit card companies are listed along with their scores. It’s a 1,000 point scale and this year the “winner” was American Express with 769 out of the possible thousand. The silver medal goes to Discover Card with a 757.

I wanted to do an informal Bargaineering comment survey to see who you guys rated as the best credit card issuer. Is your favorite American Express? Discover? Citi? Chase?

I don’t call my credit card very often and I’ve never had an issue with any of my cards, so the basis of my satisfaction really just boils down to cash back rewards. In that regard I’m close to JD’s results as my favorite card is the American Express Costco TrueEarnings card followed by the Citi mtvU card.

What’s your favorite and why?

36 Responses to “Your Take: Your Favorite Credit Card?”

1. Shirley says:

I would rank my Discover Card as number one. For us, the cashback reward is the top feature.
    $600 per year back is ever so nice.

2. Britton says:

As someone with no running debt: American Express Blue Cash, hands-down. The rewards percentages are competitive — 5% on groceries (my family spends a *lot* on groceries), gas, and drugstore purchases, and 1.25% on everything else — and there’s no limit to what you can earn, unlike some of the other 5% categories other cards have. And I don’t have to worry about “points” — the money is just credited to my statement once a year.

3. Scott says:

1. SPG AmEx

BIG GAP

2. Discover Miles
    3. Citi Driver’s Edge

HUGE GAP

4. Chase Freedom
    5. Bank of America
    6. Any worthless airline FF card I have

• live green says:

This is exactly how I rank my cards. I love my Costco AMEX the most. My Discover is pretty good, but not quite as good. I also have the Chase Freedom which used to be much better but has since gotten much worse.

4. cubiclegeoff says:

Like you, I rarely deal with customer service, so it’s based on rewards. And right now, my Schwab Visa 2% cash back on everything is my key card. Although last time I called to activate my new card, I just went through a phone system without getting interrupted to be sold a bunch of crap like other cards, so I was happy about that. My Chase Freedom is next since I still have the old program that everyone else seems to have been kicked out of (3% for gas, groceries and fast food, plus 25% bonus if you wait to $200 in rewards). I like thew idea of American Express and they have interesting programs, like the specials they offer on limited items each week, but the rewards just aren’t as good for me.

5. BrianC says:

For customer service it’s hard to beat American Express. However, my favorite individual card for general use is the Schwab Invest First. It’s 2% cash back–no rotating categories, no spending tiers, no nonsense.

6. Matt says:

Switched to the Schwab 2% cashback on everything Visa earlier this year (application now closed). I really like the fact that I can use a Visa for everything (including fee-free automatic payment of my energy bill) and 2% is better than I ever squeezed out of my Amex Blue Cash card, even though some years we charged $20,000+ on it. I’ve been very impressed with the customer service on the Schwab card, and I love that pending transaction details (merchant and charge amount, not just a decrease in available credit) show up immediately online.

Second favorite is the Citi Forward, for the 5 ThankYou points per dollar on purchases from Amazon.com (bookstore) and restaurants. I also like that Citi will mail a check from a balance transfer (useful back when no-fee 0% balance transfers were available).

7. zapeta says:

I have to agree with the others, the Schwab card is my favorite. Its tough to beat 2% overall, though I will still use Chase Freedom if I’m buying something that is in their rotating 5% categories.

8. We’re pretty happy with our Chase Visa.

We really liked the rewards of our HSBC weekender, but the awful and often bizarre customer “service” sent us fleeing. Some things are more important than money. Worst experience with a credit card ever (there are 3 articles on my blog detailing the problems) – trumping the problems we had when Bank of America absorbed MBNA.

9. tom says:

Schwab Visa!

2nd choice is Costco Business AmEx.

10. daenyll says:

I’m happy with my chase freedom for the time being. Chase is the only rewards card I’ve had much experience with, previously used their flexible rewards but saw the freedom was slightly more straight forward with the reward earnings. I only ever get the statement credit/cash back anyway so I don’t much care what the other stuff is offered.

11. Chris says:

1st: American Express TrueEarnings (Costco)
    –> 3% gas (4% Business)
    –> 3% restauarts
    –> 2% travel
    –> 1% everywhere else

2nd: PenFed Visa Platinum
    –> 5% gas
    –> 2% groceries
    –> 1% everywhere else

Schwab Visa would definitely be in my top 3 if I had it (and a Schwab Brokerage account). Right now using TradeKing (Scottrade with IRAs).

Told a friend about the card. He had a brokerage account already and now he loves the card. Have they opened signups again for that card?

12. John says:

GM Mastercard. Any purchase I make, I earn 5% back towards the purchase of a new GM car. The earnings you can use vary from car to car. But most GM vehicles you can use at least up to $1,000 of your earnings. If you happen to be one of the charter members who opened an account years ago, they didn’t have earning limits then, and they still allow you to use as much of your earnings on any vehicle.

13. John D. says:

Im still young, 19, and have not had too much experience with credit cards. However, I find it a good sign that Mr. Wang over here has both of my credit cards as his favourites. :)

14. Rockbell says:

Fidelity American Express 2% straight to ROTH IRA!

15. Greg says:

American Express Blue Cash – primary card

Penfed Visa Platinum Cashback – backup card for places that don’t take AmEx.

Citi Cashreturns Mastercard – In Store Sam’s club purchases.

• Chris says:

Definitely agree! The backup card is exactly why we got that card too. Now I end up using that more than I realize on my commute to work.

16. Janette says:

Love my bank of America MC for the airline miles. Any suggestions on getting a 5% cash back card? Would rather have that than the miles… Janette

17. Janette says:

I prev had a GM MasterCard with unlimited earnings. Bought my son a new GM cavalier in 1999 totally pd for with GM card but the
    18 year old totalled it three weeks later, hit an attorney I knew at church…

18. debbie says:

AMEX Fidelity Retirement Rewards…without a doubt the best card around…2% cash back on ALL purchases and no annual fee.

19. AMEX Costco TrueEarnings followed by Citi Premier Pass.

20. Demonstrable says:

I like the $250 for $200 reward that I get with my Chase Freedom card. Although I’m sure there are superior cards for people with longer credit histories and higher average spending.

21. Eli says:

I use AMEX Blue Cash as my primary and Chase Freedom as a backup and when the category is getting 5% back. Will have to check out some of the others listed in the comments.

22. NORMAN SPECTOR says:

AMEX IS NOT ACCEPTED EVERYWHERE, LIKE MY PUBLIC GOLF COURSE. I USE IT WHEN I CAN. CHASE HAS MULTI-STANDARDS AND OFTEN I CANNOT USE IT OUT OF TOWN. IF I EXCEED THE LIMIT, I GET CALLS TO PAY IT OFF EVEN WHEN NOT DUE. NEVER MISSED A FULL PAYMENT. CITI IS THE BEST. NO GRIEF. NO HASSLE. IS VERY RESPOSIVE. I PAY MY BILLS FULLY EVERY MONTH.

23. Nick says:

The 2% cards are tough to beat. If you don’t overspend or carry balances w/ cards, having a 2% as the “old reliable” and rotate a couple 5% promo cards is a great way to go.

24. FlyFisher says:

Thanks everyone for the scoop on the different card rewards. I’m currently getting no rewards with my credit card… going to have to change that!

25. Lanie says:

I love my BOFA Signature Visa. I pay for everything with it and get 1 point for each dollar. I have for a year now and pay it off every month. I just redeemed 30000 points for $250 Best buy gift card. Sweet! Now am gonna use it to buy my 11 year old game for his birthday. Love it!