Your Take
comments

Your Take: Favorite Frugal Weekend Idea?

Sunset at Outer Banks, NCA while back I ran a short little series outlining a few fun frugal weekend ideas and with Labor Day around the corner, I thought it’d be fun if we all shared some fun ideas we had planned for the weekend. It doesn’t have to be a frugal weekend idea but it does have to be fun!

For us, we’ll be taking our annual trip down to North Carolina to the Outer Banks for a week. We rent one of those enormous vacation homes with a dozen of our friends (actually closer to twenty than ten) at a steal because it’s now past the peak season. These homes go for more than five grand in the peak seasons and drop a long way once the weather gets a little cooler. We each pick a night to cook dinner for the group, we play games, have a few adult beverages, and basically have a great end of the summer vacation where we get to rest and relax. We look forward to this trip each year and this time a bunch of us will be packing in a few rounds of golf… which pretty much throws frugal out the window. :)

What are you favorite frugal weekend ideas?

(Photo: savannahgrandfather)

20 Responses to “Your Take: Favorite Frugal Weekend Idea?”

1. Sandy L says:

One of my best investments for fun, is my kid’s membership to the YMCA. I think it was about $40/year. Anytime there’s a rainy weekend, we can always default to the pool at the Y. It’s 5 minutes away and my kids will never say no to time at the pool.

The other that is 100% free is to go to the local lake/park.

2. christine says:

LET’S HOPE THE HURRICANE PASSED AND MINIMAL DAMAGE TO THE HOUSE YOU ALL WIL BE RENTING

3. Martha says:

I’m always a fan of finding free museums on weekends. Sometimes even if they are not a “free” museum they will have a weekends/days that are reduced admission or free. Many museums in an area do this on the same day so if you plan your time right you can check out a few museums, zoos and aquariums!

• echidnina says:

I was about to say the same thing. It depends on what the museums are like in your city, but some or many are free admission, or by donation. All the museums in London are free, for instance, and it makes for a lot of interesting cheap sightseeing.

4. Scott says:

Say hi to Earl for us!

5. Shirley says:

Our whole family, kids, inlaws and outlaws, will rent a house at the beach for the weekend. Lots of good food, visiting, beach play and pinochle will make for laughs and memories that will last a lifetime.

6. billsnider says:

We like to visit as much things around us as possible. It also helps to support our community.

Bill Snider

• Martha says:

That’s a nice idea Bill! We’ll have to keep that in mind next time we’re looking to do something for the weekend.

7. Jessica says:

Our entire family rents a cabin at Jellystone Campground in Lawrence, KS. It’s super cheap and they have an abundace of activities to keep our kiddos busy for the entire weekend!

8. lostAnnfound says:

Going to our friends’ camp in CT for the weekend. Kids, dogs, food, wine, cards, campfire, etc. We all have a great time relaxing and enjoying each other’s company.

9. Sarah in Alaska says:

I’m climbing a mountain and hiking a ridgeline. Hiking’s about as expensive as you want to make it.

We’ve got friends coming over for dinner (including fresh peach cobbler, yum) and games.

10. My favorite frugal weekend activity is wandering around Pike Place Market in Seattle and eating all the free samples. Smoked salmon, fresh peaches, donuts, sausage, and gelato…mmmmmm. Hours of free fun, and plenty of crazy people to watch too!

11. KP says:

I like to spend time with the family and go to festivals/events. Living in Chicagoland there are a lot of events and places to go (Lincoln Park zoo). Some of them for free too.

12. zapeta says:

Our frugal weekend involves staying indoors and keeping the lights off.

13. shiftomnimega says:

My frugal weekend started by spending my day off of work (due to Earl) driving up to Dover Downs. Frugal because I used a fee free cash advance via the US Mint $1 coins and fee free casino credit. And yes I paid off my marker before I left, and yes, my CC will be paid off at the end of the month.

14. Nick says:

We’re just completing a frugal weekend. On Saturday we went to a free children’s museum on the Bank of America museum promotion. Yesterday we went apple picking. We may add some hiking today, but not sure. Total spent Friday and Saturday $50 on food, gas, etc. And it was a GREAT time.

15. daenyll says:

I like a weekend every once in a while to just cook/bake and fill the freezer with good food so I can just pull something out on the weekdays I don’t feel like cooking or when I’ve hit a slump between grocery runs and don’t know what to make. I enjoy playing with new recipes, and it’s entertainment with alterior uses.

16. jsbrendog says:

porch sunday. friends, some cold beers, and sitting on the shaded porch all day hanging out. nothing better. and all it costs is a couple 12 packs.