Your Take
comments

Your Take: Favorite Frugal Weekend Ideas

LoungingThe weather this week was amazing here in Maryland, with temperatures reaching into the 60′s, but unfortunately those numbers are set to drop to around 30 degrees over the weekend. But that little taste of warm weather has sparked my interest in wandering the various hikes in the area and how it’s one of my favorite frugal weekend experiences. A short little hike through the wilderness, dodging other hikers and mountain bikers, followed by some nice rest and relaxation sitting around doing nothing. :)

What’s your favorite frugal weekend idea? (doesn’t have to be frugal, but it does have to be fun)

(Photo: meaganjean)

20 Responses to “Your Take: Favorite Frugal Weekend Ideas”

1. Frugal says:

Need to file my tax returns to get the refund. Is that a frugal idea? :)

2. daenyll says:

free wine tasting at the local bakery then an afternoon walking/reading in the park

3. Jeremy says:

Mine used to be doing stuff outdoors like hiking and camping. I’ve been so busy with work lately though. I really should take some time to enjoy nature soon.

4. cvargo says:

Here is Utah we are finally getting spring weather. Going to be high 60s all weekend. My NONFRUGAL plans: Going to golf for the first time this year, and continue looking at houses

5. Jessi says:

We’ve got plans to go to the zoo this weekend! The zoo in our area is free, so it’s both frugal and fun :-)

6. Bok Choy says:

I like attending my kids sporting events. Basketball in particular. Usually 3 to 5 games a weekend. Cheering, socializing, fun and frugal.

7. Martha says:

I love bringing a deck of cards outside to play while the weather is nice! :) That and hiking is always a awesome combination!

8. Huskerolleyball2 says:

If you are in the Washington DC area–try to check out the wilderness space owned by WSSC. The lake area at Brighton Dam is awesome and free.

I love walking my dog in a nearby park–healthy and free.

9. cubiclegeoff says:

I also go to the zoo or museums and things, and I use passes from the library so I get in free or at a discount.

10. I like visiting friends. I work alot during the week and sometimes on Saturdays. Weekends are the only time I get to see family and friends.

11. eric says:

60s is cold for me! ;)

12. Shirley says:

Spring has definitely sprung in the Sacramento Valley! Yesterday and today we planted part of our veggie garden… tomatos, red, yellow and green bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini and lettuce. Cukes and other types of squash will go in this weekend. I’m feeling quite frugal and having lots of fun… even more so when we pick these fresh veggies.

13. Kenny says:

Got 5 movies from Redbox yesterday since it was a Free Movie day yesterday. Will be watching 2 out of the 5 movies this weekend on the big screen.

Will go hunting for Real estate since the weather is good and the shoppers are still not out there.

Finally, for more fun, will go to a nice restaurant for a late lunch to serve as a single big meal between lunch time and dinner time. This serves the body well since we burn most of it off, and it is right smack between a light breakfast and a light dinner. This is the best of the frugal ideas for health-minded-folks since lunches are less priced than dinner, and body should get a workout after a good size meal. So, don’t spend 40% more for a dinner plate, when the same chef is going to make the same meal, with the same recipe!

Finally, go out to Panera with your favorite person and sip coffee, read a book, reply to a few blogs, and enjoy the evening (since it is free with zero wait time involved at a restaurant). 2-3 cups of decaf with skim milk serves the body good!

I’m at at mode in life where ‘been there, done that and seen it’ is a common answer, and I’m only 50.

Kenny

14. Kurt says:

I like to thumb through recipe books and find one I’ve never made (with no costly ingredients!). Walk to the market (exercise, fresh air, and saves gas!) to get the groceries needed, take my time making the meal, open a bottle of (nice but inexpensive) wine, and enjoy with my wife. A relaxing day and evening!

15. rlaw100 says:

Exercising at the school gym, despite the large discount I get, its pointless if I don’t use it.

16. My family’s favorite frugal weekend ideas — flying kite at the park, biking, potluck picnic with friends and relatives, watching DVD at home, and more…

17. ziglet19 says:

Working on my vegetable garden once it’s warm enough.