Cars, Government, Personal Finance
comments

Fighting Red Light Camera Violation Tickets

I was caught running a red light by a red light camera in downtown Baltimore three weeks ago (the notice came in the mail last week) and did a little searching online to see whether I had much of a chance contesting it. The reality is that I ran it because I didn’t want to slam on the breaks to stop myself and because I thought I could make it, in actuality I didn’t make it and am entirely guilty. Even though I was guilty, I still wanted to see what my options were since the ticket was going to cost me $75 (no points, so no insurance ramifications) and I figured that warranted at least a little bit of digging with Google for potential solutions.

(In the end, I paid the $75.)

The best traffic ticket information website out there has to be Ticket Assassin, their red light ticket section has all sorts of good information worth reading and where I did most of my research. The only downside is that the site is focused on California residents and residents of other states can only use this as a frame of reference. For information about the red light camera program in Baltimore, check out the City of Baltimore red light camear page. I think Ticket Assassin gives you a good idea of the sort of red tape you’ll have to go through, in any state, before you’ll be let off the hook.

The reason I didn’t contest the red light ticket was because I felt my time was worth more than the $75 fine. I didn’t want to contest the ticket and then have to spend all the time (a few hours) and gas (I’d have to drive downtown, likely in the middle of the day) it would take to go to the courthouse and try to conjure up some excuse as to why I shouldn’t get the ticket. And, if I failed, then the ticket would be $100 + court fees, adding insult to perceived injury. In the end, it’s wasn’t worth it to me.

For those of you who think I should’ve contested it out of principle… sorry, I just don’t feel that the use of red light cameras is such an injustice. Plus, I didn’t want to pay an extra $25+ considering I was absolutely guilty.

49 Responses to “Fighting Red Light Camera Violation Tickets”

1. Maggie says:

I received a “Courtesy warning notice” 18 days after the camera red light violation. There is no photos included with this letter. No website link for me to see any video. It does not provide me information on how to contest the ticket by mail. Can you guys give me advise what to do? I do not want to pay for the $466. Occured in San Francisco, CA. Thanks

2. Melissa says:

I also received a red light camera ticket for not stopping before turning right. The video shows that I did a rolling stop. I attempted to do a Trial by Declaration but was found guilty. Next step is a Trial de Novo where I have to appear in person to fight my case. Anyone have ideas/advice/experience with this?

I was about to pay Ticket Assassin to help me but it sounds like a bad idea?!?

Thanks!

3. Cyndy says:

In Escondido CA the fines for running a red light are 387.00. So you got off easy. However
    I dont know if anyone else has noticed this but the time frame from green to red is ALOT shorter of a transition period at the camera lights than the regular ones. So my question is
    How do they determine the time frame of the camera lights. I believe that would be a good defense. I personally think they are dangerous because people want to plow through them when they get stuck in them. I think someday they will hopefully be eliminated.

4. Rebecca says:

did you know that goverment employees and their families are exempt from red light violations, toll charges, etc? what this tells me is that the red light cameras are not a safety feature but rather money making scheme for the government.

5. Moe says:

Hey Folks. I had two red light camera tickets and both were dismissed a few days ago by a judge. I got the tickets like 4 days apart from each other and I never gotten a red light ticket in the 13 years I had been driving.

I looked up the time for the yellow light intervals in California and found a site that lists a Department of Transportation document about them. I received both tickets in a 35mph zone. After recording the videos from a camera and timing the footage frame by frame, the time was 3.0 seconds for the yellow light. In Ca, in a 35mph zone, the yellow light must be 3.6 seconds or more. I told the judge that I would have been past the line and would not have gotten tickets if I had 0.6 seconds more. The judge said he liked the argument and dismissed both tickets. I was thanking Allah all the way to the car.

6. Marcos says:

This fucking traffic cameras should be eliminated. I have to be driving with extremely stress because the cameras are in every single place. I’m a driver not a criminal. I got two tickets without a warning. I was turning right and they change the light in a fraction of a second. 158.00 dollars for each one, this country is getting worst every day. And I lose my job 1 year ago; how I am suppose to pay the tickets.

7. Brad says:

You notice anything you do wrong translates into how much money do you owe them . Rater than fine people maybe they should have them spend some hours on a trash pickup crew . Have you seen how much trash is laying around the streets of Baltimore .

8. becca says:

why was this article even written? it offers almost no advice, yet it comes up 1st on my google search. waste of time.

9. John G. says:

Wow. I was going to complain about the $75 ticket I got in Baltimore, but $400-$500??? It’s completely obvious that municipalities are much more interested in red light cameras as revenue generators than safety devices. You know what? I’m still going to complain because it’s just another example of our government stealing our money so that they can blow it. I am going to fight it because my ticket is for running a redlight at an intersection that allows turns on red. I will have to get the details from the sign, but I don’t run red lights. I will keep you posted.

• DAVID says:

thats the same thing i did .(turned on red) there is a sign that says no turn on red 7am till 7pm it was855 pm when i turned . but they know peolpe won;t fight it .it may cost me more $$ & time than i care to lose, THATS WHY MANY FEEL GOVT. SUCKS UITS ALL ABOUT $$$ IF YOU OR I ARE A GOOD DRIVER W/ NO WARNINGS WE SHOULD GET A WARNING FIRST.EV.1 CAN MAKE A MISTAKE …NOT EV.1 JUST HAS $$$75.00

10. Micheale C. says:

How do they know who is driving the car? I got 2 tickets within a months time but in the pictures, the driver isn’t shown.

11. kyle says:

HAHA NICE YOU JUST GAVE $75 TO SCAMMERS

12. Steve says:

The problem is may cities shorten the yellow light timing to get a pic of the car in a red light. As a result, you will see an increase in rear end accidents because I would rather risk a rear ender then get another 156 dollar fine for “supposedly” running a red light

13. DAVID says:

JUST GOT A 75.00 RED LIGHT TICKET , I MADE A RIGHT HAND TURN & THE LT. MUST HAVE TURNED REED . I THOUGHT RT. HAND TURNS WERE ALLOWED ON RED?? I HAVE TO HAVE HEART SURG. NEXT WEEK,CAN;T AFFORD 75.00, JUST BROUGHT A HOME.I MISTAKENLY PAID A 25.00 SEAT BELT TX.TWICE AND IT TAKES 6IX WEEKS TO GET A REFUND ,BUT THEY WANT 75.00 BY 03-13-12 ??? ITS NOT FAIR.THEY DON’T CARE . LOOK FOR ME .I’LL SOON BE HOLDING A SIGN ON A GIVEN M.D. CORNER.

14. anges says:

I need some advice how to say to court about my camera red light turn. how to get the ticket dismiss, any luck for anyone

15. jared says:

http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html good website for any ticket violation. I recently ran got caught in Culver City on Jefferson blvd and Duquesne. They are privately owned companies now not city. So best just ignore them and nothing will happen. If u get a letter from the superior court u cant ignore that one just watch out. $500 fine but after using the website i put a link to the best thing to do is a written declaration.