Taxes
comments

File Your Taxes Now or Pay More Later

1040 Tax FormsI’ve been blogging about personal finance for four years now and I have a little tip for anyone out there who hasn’t filed their taxes yet (which may not be that many, because I went through half a dozen “winners” for the TurboTax Deluxe free filing card before I found someone who hadn’t filed their taxes yet, go pro-active Bargaineering readers!). At the end of March, most of the tax preparation companies will increase their prices.

I know for a fact that TurboTax will be doing this and chances are TaxCut, TaxAct, and all the other major players will do it too. If you go to a storefront to prepare your taxes, chances are they will bump up prices too because we’re getting to crunch time. Crunch time means it’s more expensive.

It’s only March 18th, if you act quickly you can prepare your taxes before they raise the prices. TurboTax will officially increase their prices on March 28th (with the others probably doing the same) so you’ll want to file before then. Of course, if you qualify for free tax filing, you can wait until the 15th if you want. :)

(Photo: techne)

8 Responses to “File Your Taxes Now or Pay More Later”

1. TurboTax Colleen says:

Hi Jim,
    We appreciate you giving people a heads up. In fact, we do the same. On 3/19-3/20, we will email customers who have already started a return so they receive a reminder to complete and file their taxes before prices change on 3/28. It’s also noted on our website.
    Thanks,
    Colleen from TurboTax

2. Jim says:

I don’t think it’s a secret that every company does this (because it happens every single year) and, to be honest, I think it’s perfectly fair.

3. I so pro-active that I actually use a CPA to do my personal and business taxes and (gasp!) they’re done, filed and refund received. Now onto 2009.

4. Bob says:

I file my taxes couple of weeks before the deadline. However, I buy turbotax software as soon as it hits the market around December timeframe. Most of the times there will be deals in Dec/Jan.

5. Ray Sanchez says:

They are clearly taking advantage of the situation. :(

6. Patrick says:

It makes sense that companies do this, with so many people filing taxes. I don’t blame them for doing this as people have several months to do taxes and there is no excuse for not filing your taxes up to this point.

7. Mr. GoTo says:

I am in no hurry, as I have to send the government a check. If you need tax prep software, buy it a local retailer. They won’t be raising prices.

8. thomas says:

I’m still going through a few items with my tax preparer. I’m banking on finding coupons and discounts online if I don’t meet the deadline.