Personal Finance
comments

BVC #1 – Filter Personal Finance Experts [VIDEO]

I spent the last week out in San Francisco and couldn’t sleep the other night so I thought I would, in my sleepy yet unable to sleep haze, put up a video blog post to kick off the Bargaineering VideoCast (BVC) series. This one will talk about how you should always take what personal finance experts say with a grain of salt. Whether it’s an advisor or some talking head, the adage still holds true. If you don’t follow it, then you deserve everything you get.

Word of warning, the camera does have a little bit of shake (I’m holding it) and I’m new at this so I hope to improve it. Please don’t get sick! :)

Here’s the Wikipedia page for Suze Orman, ranked number 1 by Google (through some fine SEO I’m sure!) for personal finance expert. I have nothing against Suze Orman (unlike James Scurlock), I merely pointed her out because she’s one of the hot names in personal finance right now. At times I think her abrasive attitude is a bit over the top (but for some, it’s absolutely necessary) but that’s hardly a fault.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this little experiment, on what I have to say, on pretty much everything!

28 Responses to “BVC #1 – Filter Personal Finance Experts [VIDEO]”

1. Sheila says:

I liked the video and would like to see more, especially if you keep it around the same length of time.

One suggestion for improvement – have a photo of Hawaii on the wall behind you. ;-)

• Jim says:

Hahaha good idea, I’ll probably stay in the 3-5 minute range… I can only talk for so long before I bore myself. :)

2. As to the message of this particular video, I absolutely agree: “General rule of thumb advice may not apply to us.”

As to the idea of videos in general: Go for it! It’s a great way to mix up the content a little bit.

Only tip/advice: It looks like the camera is a bit unsteady. Not sure what you’re using to film it, but perhaps something could be done to work on this.

• Jim says:

Yeah, I’m working on that. It’s a little Flip Mino and I was holding it up… bad idea. The next one is a little better. I need a tripod or to just tape it to something. :)

3. PT Money says:

Great job, Jim. Definitely agree with the points you made. At the end of the day, YOU can only count on YOU to manage your money. It’s sad what happended to those that put too much trust in Madoff. I heard Kevin Bacon had most of his portfolio with Madoff. How could have thought this was a good idea?

Anyway, great job on the vid. Love it. Keep em coming.

• Jim says:

A lot of people had money with Madoff, but remember that they put their trust in Madoff AND the SEC because it’s the SEC that failed. Madoff succeeded! He was a crook!

4. Jim,
    Chris from StumbleForward.com here. I liked the video. I would like to see more of that.

Also as far as the ponzi scam Madoff was a crook but what happened to the internal regulation from FINRA (formly known as the NASD). When I was in financial services they made us jump through hoops of all sorts like quarterly interviews,and surprise inspections.
    Not to mention all of the other people within the firm that had fudiciary responciablities. I feel FINRA failed on this level and as a resoponce they will tighten the belt a bit.

5. Alex says:

Please keep your camera steady. This vibration gave me a headache.
    Great idea otherwise!

6. Diane says:

Jim – nice job on the video. I’d keep it going as part of your blog.

As for the content, I totally agree. I believe it’s best to read ideas from many people and make your own decisions on what will work for you personally.

In some ways I consider myself to be a financial expert – not for the masses perhaps – but definitely for myself!

I’ve made my share of mistakes – some whoppers – & learned from them. I was married in a community property state (LA), stuck with my ex-husband’s business debt (over $700K) & forced to file bankruptcy; survived an IRS lien on my house, went from being a stay-at-home mom of 2 young boys to working 2 jobs to support them; surviving on credit cards even after the bankruptcy.

I’ve learned a lot about personal finance along the way. 10 years along I’m past the bankruptcy, my house is clear from the IRS, my car is paid for, I have a good credit rating, several credit cards which I use & pay off monthly & no debt except a $45K mortgage.

I have no education in the personal finance field other than life experience, but I’m an expert on what works for me. I still read as much as I can to learn from the experience of others, but I take what works for me and leave the rest.

7. Jim, you’re a natural on camera. Great job! Now go get a tripod. =P

8. Kathryn says:

Ummm …. where’s the video?

9. Kittyluv says:

Jim, I agree with everyone. Having the video puts a very personal touch to your blog and if the content can be kept at 3-5min, I think your ideas are well worth listening to (and seeing!)
    I have been reading your blog for several months and have gained quite a bit of knowledge on personal finance. I am fortunate that my situation is not quite as dire as some others, but it is always a help to tweak things for the better now and again.
    Keep up the good work!

• Jim says:

Thank you for the encouragement, honestly, I’m scared of seeing myself on camera but I figured this would be a lot more fun and everyone has been very supportive. I’m very thankful you guys are so kind!

10. Bur.gr says:

Hey Jim,

Great video! The shaking camera action didn’t bother me much, but the occasional hesitations in your speaking did. I’m sure as you crank out more of these that will disappear.

For tripods, check out:

Or go DIY with:

Again, great video, keep it up!

-Bur.gr

• Jim says:

Thanks for the tips Bur.gr, I found myself swallowing to buy time to think because it’s really off the cuff rather than a prepared speech. I hope it’ll get better as I go, thanks for the encouragement!

• Jim says:

I just ordered the Gorillapod, shipping March 2nd. :)

11. nickel says:

Nice work. As long as you keep them short (to match my attention span!), I think it’s a great format.

12. Shahid says:

I think you did a good job. The duration was just right and once you have the Gorillapod in place, the next one will be even better.

I wish I was as money savvy when I was in my 20′s. I have always been a frugal spender, but thanks to blogs like yours, I continually monitor my finances and try to cover all the bases.

Thanks for your continued effort.

Shahid.

13. Eric N. says:

Here’s another positive comment. Brings a different flavor definitely. Keep it up…I’m sure it’ll only improve.

14. Moneymonk says:

Wow Jim is a human! LOL

I wrote an article about personal finance gurus awhile back, Im glad to see someone look at these people as “human” and not much more.

Everyone is diiferent, no one size fits all advice

15. MoneyNing says:

Just saw this Jim. I like it and thought it was well done (especially since it’s the first time).

I totally agree with the “standard advice may not apply to you” part of the video.

Btw, you aren’t doing it at some other blogger’s house are you? Is she going to ask for royalties? :)

16. TP says:

Jim I like it. Shaking camera was not a problem. Keep it going with more and differnt topics.