Personal Finance
comments

Financial Companies on Twitter

TwitterTwitter is quickly becoming one of the hottest new communication mediums online (you can find me as @bargainr). The ability to quickly broadcast out your thoughts, questions, and comments (and get responses back just as quickly) is a powerful and useful tool. If you start using it (as I have @bargainr), it’s very important to include others in the conversation if you want them to respond. For example, if you want to complain or laud a recent customer experience, it’s important that you include the company or individual if you want them to respond.

To help facilitate this, I’m compiling a list of financial companies that are currently on and actively using Twitter for something other than broadcasting new offers. I hope this will become a valuable resource people can use so if you know of a company that isn’t on the list, please leave a comment and I’ll try to include it.

Warning: Never tweet sensitive account information across Twitter.

Banks & Credit Unions on Twitter

• @1stMarinerBank – A local Baltimore bank handles issues via Twitter and has nearly a thousand followers.
  • @Ask_WellsFargo – Six staffers manage the Wells Fargo twitter account from 8-5 PST Monday through Fridays.
  • @BofA_help – David Knapp of Bank of America is their Twitter rep and helps solve customers’ problems via Twitter.
  • @FirstTechCU – First Tech is a member-owned credit union serving Pac NW since 1952. Branches located in the Seattle area, Portland, Salem and Lane County.
  • @INGDirect – Active twitter account of one of the first online banks.
  • @MichiganFirstCU – Michigan First is a hi-tech, member-driven credit union serving SE Michigan since 1926 with the latest in online financial management tools and resources.
  • @siucreditunion – Twitter account of SIU Credit Union.
  • @usaa_news – News account for USAA, a diversified financial service company offering insurance, banking, investments, and financial advice for the military community and their families. You can also reach out to June Walbert (@AskJune_USAA), USAA spokesperson.
  • @Wachovia – This account is run by Jay (^JR) and Ian (^IM), they also manage the @Ask_WellsFargo account, with nearly a thousand tweets between them.

Credit Cards on Twitter

• @Discover – Twitter account for Discover, answered by “Suzanne.”

Tax Preparation on Twitter

• @HRBlock – This is the official account of tax preparation company H&R Block, currently being answered by Stacy Gratz, social media marketing manager.
  • @jacksonhewitt – Income Tax Preparation and Tax Help from Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
  • @TurboTax – Helping taxpayers get the biggest refund possible. The voice of Christine Morrison.

Investing on Twitter

• @LendingClub – Updates from peer to peer lending network, Lending Club, where we’re helping people get better rates. Also Rob Garcia (@robgarciasj), product and social media guy at Lending Club.

Personal Finance Software on Twitter

• @Intuit – This is the main Twitter account for Intuit, parent company of Quickbooks and Quicken. It’s run by Gretchen Hardin, who also tweets as 1practicalgal.
  • @Mint – Twitter account of Mint.com, recently acquired by Intuit.
  • @moneyStrands – Money management software moneyStrands is answered by Lucia, Community Mgr for moneyStrands.
  • @Pocketsmith – Twitter account for PocketSmith, a personal finance and budgeting web application, utilizing a calendar that forecasts users’ future cash positions.
  • @Quicken and @QuickenOnline – Account covers the desktop application Quicken and the online version, Quicken Online.
  • @Wesabe – Managed by Marc Hedlund, CEO of Wesabe.
  • @Yodlee – Twitter account for Yodlee, an “online banking solution provider delivering core banking solutions to leading banks and millions of consumers around the world.”

If you know of any financial companies on Twitter but not on this list, please let me know!

24 Responses to “Financial Companies on Twitter”

1. @Discover
    @American Express (not live yet)

Only 2 that I can think of at the moment

2. @moneyStrands is an online personal finance software product, similar to Wesabe or Mint. I interviewed them on my blog a few months ago.

3. Lucia says:

moneyStrands.com is on Twitter @moneyStrands

4. Matt SF says:

@LendingClub and @robgarciasj

5. moneymonk says:

Thanks for the list

6. Ryan says:

@FirstTechCU a Credit Union based in the Pacific NW

7. Rachel Elson says:

For personal finance content….

@CBSMoneyWatch is our official stream.

I’m the managing editor, and I also tweet – @MWRachel – but with a slightly different take on things.

8. PT says:

Nice list, Jim. Just RTd.

9. Carla says:

Great list. I love ING Direct! I just followed Mint…

10. @mymoneymanage Personal Finance Site at http://www.mymoneymanage.com

11. KC says:

@KNSFinancial is on Twitter. They give Personal Financial Advice along with Macroeconomic Commentary and Tax Preparation.

12. Keith Wilcox says:

I have my blog updating to my twitter account, but I’m still way behind on the functionality that twitter actually offers. I was resistant to the admission that twitter is becoming the information portal that it is. For instance, what can be transmitted by a tax preparation company in so few characters to make that information worthwhile to me? I am still just beginning to understand it’s true power. BTW I’m glad you included that disclaimer about giving account info on twitter. You’d think people would know that, but obviously there are some who are even more ass-backwards than myself! :-) HA

• Jim says:

A lot can happen in 140 characters and one of those things is you can end up giving your account information to a million people. :)

13. http://www.JustThrive.com is online at @Thrive – we tweet throughout the day, but also whenever we post a blog entry. A number of our followers are also from various financial companies: I’ll try to make sure one of us takes a look through and gets back to you with a list sometime this week.

14. Jeff Rose says:

My local credit union is also in twitter:
    @siucreditunion.

15. I had no idea that those type companies were on Twitter. Thank You!

16. Tonja says:

Another local credit union – @MichiganFirstCU

17. RobG says:

Great list, Jim!

Thanks for including Lending Club + I on it.

Cheers

18. Can someone ask the folks at Wells Fargo whether they are hosting more parties at multi-million dollar pads in Malibu?! Thnx Cheronda Guyton!

19. eric says:

I still haven’t jumped on Twitter (social networking overload for me these days) but this sounds very useful.

20. daemondust says:

I wonder what the first company was to start using twitter for fixing things like this. It seems like every company that’s at least a little tech. savvy has a twitter watcher and tries to take care of things better than ordinary tech. support does. It’s quite interesting to watch.

21. Cathy says:

GREAT list! We’d love for you to add us!
    @wisemanfinance