Twitter is quickly becoming one of the hottest new communication mediums online (you can find me as @bargainr ). The ability to quickly broadcast out your thoughts, questions, and comments (and get responses back just as quickly) is a powerful and useful tool. If you start using it (as I have @bargainr), it’s very important to include others in the conversation if you want them to respond. For example, if you want to complain or laud a recent customer experience, it’s important that you include the company or individual if you want them to respond.
To help facilitate this, I’m compiling a list of financial companies that are currently on and actively using Twitter for something other than broadcasting new offers. I hope this will become a valuable resource people can use so if you know of a company that isn’t on the list, please leave a comment and I’ll try to include it.
Warning: Never tweet sensitive account information across Twitter.
Banks & Credit Unions on Twitter
- @1stMarinerBank  – A local Baltimore bank handles issues via Twitter and has nearly a thousand followers.
- @Ask_WellsFargo  – Six staffers manage the Wells Fargo twitter account from 8-5 PST Monday through Fridays.
- @BofA_help  – David Knapp of Bank of America is their Twitter rep and helps solve customers’ problems via Twitter.
- @FirstTechCU  – First Tech is a member-owned credit union serving Pac NW since 1952. Branches located in the Seattle area, Portland, Salem and Lane County.
- @INGDirect  – Active twitter account of one of the first online banks.
- @MichiganFirstCU  – Michigan First is a hi-tech, member-driven credit union serving SE Michigan since 1926 with the latest in online financial management tools and resources.
- @siucreditunion  – Twitter account of SIU Credit Union.
- @usaa_news  – News account for USAA, a diversified financial service company offering insurance, banking, investments, and financial advice for the military community and their families. You can also reach out to June Walbert (@AskJune_USAA ), USAA spokesperson.
- @Wachovia  – This account is run by Jay (^JR) and Ian (^IM), they also manage the @Ask_WellsFargo account, with nearly a thousand tweets between them.
Credit Cards on Twitter
- @Discover  – Twitter account for Discover, answered by “Suzanne.”
Tax Preparation on Twitter
- @HRBlock  – This is the official account of tax preparation company H&R Block, currently being answered by Stacy Gratz, social media marketing manager.
- @jacksonhewitt  – Income Tax Preparation and Tax Help from Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
- @TurboTax  – Helping taxpayers get the biggest refund possible. The voice of Christine Morrison.
Investing on Twitter
- @LendingClub  – Updates from peer to peer lending network, Lending Club, where we’re helping people get better rates. Also Rob Garcia (@robgarciasj ), product and social media guy at Lending Club.
Personal Finance Software on Twitter
- @Intuit  – This is the main Twitter account for Intuit, parent company of Quickbooks and Quicken. It’s run by Gretchen Hardin, who also tweets as 1practicalgal .
- @Mint  – Twitter account of Mint.com, recently acquired by Intuit.
- @moneyStrands  – Money management software moneyStrands is answered by Lucia, Community Mgr for moneyStrands.
- @Pocketsmith  – Twitter account for PocketSmith, a personal finance and budgeting web application, utilizing a calendar that forecasts users’ future cash positions.
- @Quicken  and @QuickenOnline  – Account covers the desktop application Quicken and the online version, Quicken Online.
- @Wesabe  – Managed by Marc Hedlund, CEO of Wesabe.
- @Yodlee  – Twitter account for Yodlee, an “online banking solution provider delivering core banking solutions to leading banks and millions of consumers around the world.”
If you know of any financial companies on Twitter but not on this list, please let me know!