Government
comments

Searching For Your Unclaimed Money & Property

Stack of moneyI originally published this post in July 2005 but recently updated all the links to the correct state Unclaimed Property division website.

If you’ve ever rented an apartment, you’ve left a deposit… but did you get that back before you left? They said they’d mail it… but did you actually get it? How about the utility company, did you get your deposit back from them? What about those six months you lived in another state, were you entitled to a state income tax refund? Did you actually get it? Unclaimed or abandoned property departments exist in every state and through free online searches you can find a ton of money you may have inadvertently left behind. I haven’t lived in enough places to have left behind any hard earned cash (I looked, no luck though) but you might have.

Below is a comprehensive list of every state’s (even D.C. and Puerto Rico) website that has a search for unclaimed property. Take a few minutes and see if you’ve discovered any cash and leave a comment if you do! I didn’t find any but perhaps you can find a nice fat check somewhere with your name on it. :)

Alabama
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Don’t pay for a service that finds unclaimed property, the information they use is publicly and freely available!

(Photo: amagill )

26 Responses to “Searching For Your Unclaimed Money & Property”

1. Cap says:

oh man, I highly recommend people search the list.

some people will be very surprised how much unclaimed money and properties there are out there. its ridiculous.

which reminds me i never got my deposit back from my roomate.. ack. oh well.

2. Khyron says:

I am still waiting to get my money back from MD. (Hi Jim!) 12 bloody weeks! Can you believe that? It can’t be about the float. I think its just beauracratic lunacy. But that $147 bucks is found money. I need to add it to my todo list to follow up on that Tuesday morning.

3. jim says:

Hey buddy, are you talking about the state income tax refund check? I got mine about a month or so ago, those guys must be lagging… or did you search one of these lists and actually find cash? That’d be pretty sweet. I looked for me, my parents, some of my friends but couldn’t find a dime.

Did you ever go to any other tax sales? I think I might start doing research on foreclosures… from what I’ve been reading on some other blogs, markets in Las Vegas, Boston, and Cali are cooling off (and everyone flooding Texas, which according to the FDIC has had no real appreciation in housing prices!).

4. jim says:

Ha, I just looked for money from my sister in Mass. and I think I might have found some… we’ll see.

5. nickel says:

I just found numerous occurrences of my name (including middle initial) in one of the states where I used to live. Unfortunately, none of them is really me.

6. nickel says:

The Georgia link is broken. Here’s a working link:

Georgia

7. Khyron says:

Jim,

No, my father and I have the same name (I’m Jr.) so he went searching for some reason and found some money that Maryland owed me. I sent them the information back in April (IIRC) and they said 12 weeks until it came through. This is definitely not the tax refund.

As for the RE stuff, I’m going to setup some meetings with an agent in PG county and a RE lawyer. Both are associates of a friend of mine who used to work for the agent. I’m taking a year to study the market and get familiar with the laws and gotchas.

I’ve been watching the info about cooling out west. Texas is definitely seeing that increased interest too. But I don’t think real action will start until next year anyway. And I’m not prepared (yet), both informationally and financially, to dive in. I’m putting away money monthly into my emergency account, and I plan to transfer my old 401(k) into a Roth IRA with an independent trustee in order to invest in RE and RE products (liens, foreclosures, etc.) within the IRA. So I want to fully fund that through 2007 along with the current 401(k) and emergency funds *before* I take on anything as capital intensive as RE. BUT I do work with a guy who knows a guy who can probably get me into some hard money lending, so once I get the 401(k) -> Roth conversion completed, and the funding thru the end of 2005, I’ll look at having my Roth make hard money loans. Also bought Cash Flow 101 with a co-worker and have been playing that on Wednesday nights (as suggested by Shaun over at shaunsre.blogspot.com). So things are coming together. I’ll probably have more tax lien info to share by summer’s end.

8. jim says:

I thought I might have found my sister some money but no dice. Massachusetts got back to her within a week so that’s pretty good turnaround time regardless.

9. I’ve found stuff for relatives before, but they never bothered to follow through with it. I wish I had some money that I could find! :)

10. Tom says:

My brother checked a few years back and found an old bank account of my mother’s (who died 20 years earlier). The paperwork was more complicated since her executor was no longer alive and all the heirs (4) had to complete the claim forms, but it worked out and we collected about $900.

11. zapeta says:

Well, didn’t find anything for myself or any relatives. Thanks for posting the links!

12. eric says:

I remember doing this back then….still no dice this time around. Maybe that’s a good thing? :)

13. daemondust says:

Do people ever find anything with these? I look every few years and there’s never anything for me, or any of my family. I guess that means I’m more careful about making sure I get what’s mine, but I have to wonder….

I know there has to be something in the database or the pages wouldn’t exist. Maybe the intersection of people who knows about these pages and those who are owed money isn’t very big?

14. Melissa says:

I haven’t looked in awhile and I found $20 for myself. See how it turns out. :)

15. Debra says:

Great idea to publish all these links! I find most of your emails very interesting and helpful. Enjoy the service. Thanks very much.

16. KimC says:

I found a bit of money for myself, my dad, and my uncle. Not bad!

17. KimC says:

Oh – and $100 that belonged to my late grandmother. I’m sending the link to my parents so they can claim the money as Grandma’s legal heirs.

18. Chris says:

A quick check of the Florida site uncovered one for myself and my wife, @$200. It’s not much, but that sounds like a new XBox to me.

19. Michele says:

I work in Payroll, so I am the one who has to turn in unclaimed salaries.

I then decided, to run my name at the State Website. I not only found money for myself (about $200, health insurance) I found money for about 25 relatives and co-workers. I should have charged a finders fee!

The biggest problem I had with my relatives was they thought it was a fraudulant website. It took a quite a bit convince them it was a State website and that I use it (for my job) to turn in money.

You would also be surpised at a few friends that I found and their (now deceased) relatives popped up. ALL decided NOT to persue it. It was too much to have the paper notarized and get money. I try to tell them, I don’t care if its $5, it’s YOURS! If it is wages, you have already paid taxes on it!

Claim your money! Also if you have lived in other states, check their websites as well.

• Jim says:

Yes! My thoughts exactly, it is your money so why not get it? I got a document notarized at a UPS store for $2 and two minutes. Unless it’s $2.44 (notarization fee plus a stamp), I still win and get my cash.

• daemondust says:

At least here, my credit union will notarize documents for free for members, so it’s even cheaper to get your money.

20. fairy dust says:

Way cool! Nothing for me, but two hits for my late in-laws. DH and I will be digging out their death certificates this weekend so he can file. Thanks for posting these links!!!

21. Hannalee says:

Nothing for myself, but I found entries for my mom, my mother-in-law and my pastor! Thanks for the links!

22. DoubleD says:

I got a hit from a state I lived in 6 years ago. The property detail stated it was an account payable from my old place of employment. Here’s my question, if this is an old check from my previous employer, won’t it have expired (be void) by now?

23. Shirley says:

I found two for my brother equaling about $150 but I don’t think he will follow up on them.

Would it be illegal for me to do it for him?

24. James says:

If I have unclaimed money do you know if I have an IRS tax lien, will they take the money if I try to claim it?