Investing
comments

Five Free Sharebuilder Trades Promotion Code HVC09NY

A few years ago I took advantage of a Sharebuilder promotion code that offered $50 to new accounts after your first trade. I opened an account, deposited $50, and purchased $50 worth of IYT, which is the iShares Dow Jones Transport. Average ETF. When I received the $50, I withdrew it, netting me $50 for a little bit of work. A few people did this several times but I only did it twice.

The downside of the strategy was that while scheduled trades cost only $4 at Sharebuilder, real time trades cost $9.95 (all sell orders are real time trades). My plan was to keep the shares for decades, to let it appreciate, and then sell it whenever I needed it. Today I learned about a promotion code, sent out on flyers, for five free trades at Sharebuilder with the promotion code HVC09NY.

The promotion code is for market trades only, limit trades still cost $9.95. I run a small risk of being hosed by the market but it does let me close things out cleanly. The code appears to give five trades on one account and only one per person, so I’m stuck with one Sharebuilder account.

If you’ve been waiting to exit a position and balked at the $9.95 commission, now is your opportunity to exit it for free. One step closer to simplifying our finances!

27 Responses to “Five Free Sharebuilder Trades Promotion Code HVC09NY”

1. echidnina says:

Nice! I’ve gotten a few free trades from referrals, but can’t hurt to have some more. Thanks for the tip.

2. cubiclegeoff says:

Reminder, these free trades have an expiration date (at least mine do).

This was useful since I use Sharebuilder for play money and had some shares of 2 stocks with little investment that I wanted to get out of, but wasn’t worth the trade price to bail on them. Finally I did and invested them elsewhere with the other trades.

3. eric says:

Already jumped on this yesterday. Worked like a charm :)

4. govenar says:

For account opening bonus offers like the Costco $100 that require a stock trade to trigger the bonus, will these free trades work to trigger it?

5. javi says:

Thanks for the tip! :)

6. Thanks for sharing the promo code about market trades. Its always useful to find ways to save on trading so that it does not eat into my profits.

Glad to hear from Echidnina and Eric that the code worked from them!

7. zapeta says:

Code worked for me, thanks!

8. Nathan Dufault says:

To use the promo, log into your Sharebuilder account and click the Accounts tab then under Account Overview, click on the Promotions tab.

Had to dig a bit for this since I never use my account so thought I’d post the details.

9. I use Sharebuilder and will try it too. I usually do not do a lot of market trades however, but you never know.

I like Sharebuilder from the standpoint that I can link it to my ING savings. I have thought about moving to Tradeking but have not done so yet.

10. Lulu says:

I just tried this out and I am waiting on a share that I really wanted to get rid of to be traded.

I have seen people post these free trade codes before but never tried them out and now I am mad because I could have saved myself a lot of money.

11. savvy says:

Thanks. I’ve been waiting to close out a stock that was only a partial share (forgot to stop the dividend reinvestment).

12. HuBu says:

just added the code and the expiration date is 8/1/2010

13. ebekele says:

coul – Thanks Jim!

14. Craig/FFB says:

Seemed to work for me (it was accepted). Where can I see the free trades?

15. Chris W says:

@Craig/FFB After logging in, click the “Trade” tab then choose “Real-time Trades”. Your credits should show up towards the upper left side of the page “Market Order Trade Credits 5″.

Thanks for the code, Jim!

16. wanna b rich says:

nice. worked for me on 4/9/2010 at 8:30pm eastern. thanks.

17. Miller says:

Thank you for the code! I was able to dump and under-performing stock and replace it with a better long-term investment.

18. Dan says:

Worked for me on april 16 2010. You saved me $50. You are awesome Jim, thank you!!! Im always looking for for new bank promos that are easy to do, I subscribed to your email updates so when you post new ones I’ll be sure to sign up and get you the referral bonus!

19. Ben says:

Still works. I just tried it and got 5 free trades. As stated before, trades still expire 8/1/2010.

20. thunderthighs says:

I saw that code on retailmenot.com, worked for me!

21. Julio says:

Hey nice code If you add the code a lot of times it will give you alot of 5 free trades keep doing it.

22. WM says:

excellent lead; thanks.

23. Anonymous says:

It appears that the code is now expired: if it works for someone else just drop a note here.

24. Grant says:

I tried this today (11/10/10) on both my regular taxable and non-taxable (roth) account and it no longer works. Sorry, I missed it!