Credit
comments

Free Experian PLUS Credit Score

For a limited time, American Express is offering a free look at your Experian PLUS credit score and Experian credit report. The Experian PLUS credit score is not the same as your FICO score but there’s no way for you to see your FICO score based on Experian data, so this is about as close as you’ll ever get. Experian PLUS uses a different range too, from 330 to 830, versus the FICO score range of 300 to 850.

Personally, I don’t really see the point in seeing a score that isn’t a FICO score even if it’s free. It’s nice to see that American Express is promoting their CreditSecure product in a responsible way though. Most places will ask you to sign up to a trial, American Express isn’t requiring a trial to get your Experian PLUS score.

If, however, you are still interested in this offer, you need to be an American Express cardmember (I am by way of the American Express Costco card) and you can visit this link. Or, simply log in and look in the “Card Options” section of your account. This is where I found it in my account:
Card Options Screenshot

If you want to forgo the score and just want your report, remember you can get it for free every year from Annualcreditreport.com.

17 Responses to “Free Experian PLUS Credit Score”

1. Ken says:

Pulled mine and it Says 780 on their system. A few years ago, i had a Wamu CC and it gave score, i was right around 800 then.

2. Imani says:

It is really bothersome when sites monetize. Slowly but surely, I am weeding out.
    Thanks.

3. eric says:

I got the reminder email last week since I did the free check last year too.

4. Posco Grubb says:

Thank you for the heads up! Will check it out tonight.

I’m really confused by the wording of the first paragraph: “there’s no way for you to see your FICO score based on Experian data.”

I thought you could “buy” your FICO score from any of the three big credit-reporting companies.

Of course there’s no way to determine your FICO score just from seeing your data or from seeing some other “fako” score.

So… Why is the Experian score “as close as you’ll ever get”??

5. jsbrendog says:

knew there was a catch. i am not an amex cardmember.

6. zapeta says:

I really miss my WaMu card which gave me my score for free every month. I’m not going to get an AmEx just for the free score though, I use Credit Karma and its probably close enough.

• Jim says:

I also use Credit Karma and find it to be perfectly adequate for my needs, the score itself isn’t as important as the change each month. It’s really my poor man’s ID theft protection… any big changes I didn’t anticipate are reasons I should investigate.

• jsbrendog says:

does yours change month to month? mine has remained static…i guess that’s because I don’t have any balance

7. Daniel says:

Does this enroll you into a credit monitoring service? I don’t want to inadvertently enroll in something I have to cancel after 30 days or get charged monthly.

8. Riverpickers says:

In past years I have accessed the
    FTC Free Credit Report Web site, from which I can select any of the 3 major reporting firms.
    By timing access to each site annually, I can get my report every 4 months – once from each site. In the past, each site has offered a Credit Score Report for a nominal charge (about $$) which I historically have agreed to.
    This year, when Experian asked if I wanted the Credit Score Report, I replied “Yes”, expecting to pay the ususal $5 charge.
    UNKNOWING TO ME, EXPERIAN HANDED ME OFF TO THE “FREE.CREDIT.REPORT.COM” SITE WHICH ENROLLED ME IN A MONTHLY CHARGE ACCOUNT.
    BE AWARE OF THIS FRAUDULENT SCAM IF YOU USE EXPERIAN AND REQUEST YOUR CREDIT SCORE REPORT.

9. R LEE LAMSON says:

SAME HAPPENED TO ME. ADVERTISED AS FREE. BS. EXPERIAN STINKS AND ARE A RIP OFF. I WENT TO THIS FROM MILITARY.COM AS FREE AND WOUND UP AT FREECREDITREPORT.COM MEMBERSHIP CRAP. EXPERIAN THEN CHARGED ME $29.95 FOR NOTHING. BEWARE OF EXPERIAN……..THEY ARE SCAMMERS AND FRAUDULENT.