Bank Deals
comments

Free iPod Nano from Key Bank

This promotion has ended.

Key Bank is giving away a free iPod Nano if you open up one of their checking accounts between now and Sept. 9th 2006 and either having a direct deposit or open up a Keybank credit card by Oct. 31st, 2006. You will need to keep the account open for at least 180 days or you’ll be charged a $25 account closure fee but otherwise the Key Express Free Checking has no minimum balance requirement and no maintenance charge. Sounds like a good offer to me… don’t sleep on it! (The only catch is that you need to live in an area Key Bank serves)

There are only ramifications of this offer: 1) You’ll likely get a hit on your credit when you apply to the credit card, otherwise it seems pretty benign to me; 2) You’ll get a 1099-INT and the retail price of an iPod Nano is $149.99 so you’ll have to pay taxes on that.

Details of the Offer: You must open a Key Express Free Checking (this is the basic banking account in NY), Key Advantage Checking or a Key Privilege Checking account between July 23, 2006, and September 9, 2006, and have a direct deposit transaction or obtain a KeyBank credit card by October 31, 2006, and you will receive your iPod within 60 days of meeting the requirements. Offer available to individuals without an existing checking account at KeyBank. Employees of KeyBank, its affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible for this offer. Limit one free iPod nano per individual. Free iPod nano offer valid until September 9, 2006, or while supplies last. The value of the iPod nano will be reported on Form 1099-INT. iPod® nano is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple is not a participant of this promotion.

Signup Link, or go to key.com and it’s splattered on its homepage.

Tip of the hat to Jonathan for finding this one.

14 Responses to “Free iPod Nano from Key Bank”

1. Kira says:

Sweet! And Key’s online interface is really great. I wish there was a branch closer to me, but I’m going to open one anyway.

2. My question is how much would one of these free ipods cost (as in future money outlays for songs)? I know if I would ever get one, I’d start spending hundreds on songs so I’ve been resisting. I suppose I could sell it…

3. King Asa says:

The retail price of a 1GB nano is $149.99, not $249.99.

4. Sean says:

The Ipod is only $149.99. It will come to your home in about 60 days and yes it is an awseome bank.

5. juan mendoza says:

hi ,
    well i never recieved my ipod nano and im pretty disappointed. i did open my checking account before the sept 9 2006 too.

6. Gina says:

Opened account at Key Bank August 29th 06. Still haven’t received my ipod. Any help out there?

7. jim says:

Unfortunately I am not in an area with a Key Bank and so I never participated in this offer, I would contact Key Bank and ask them what was going on.

8. john says:

I did not receive my ipod either at first, but I called the branch that I applied at, and “reminded” them that I had met all the requirements. The account manager called and said that it would be shipped in a couple days. It’s to bad it takes harrassment to get a “free” gift.

9. PradeepV says:

I did get the ipod nano from KeyBank

10. Amazed says:

I opened my account before July 23rd and got an iPod anyway. I didn’t even want one, never asked for it, haven’t used it and now I get to pay taxes on it. The 1099-INT form is for $140. I’m also pretty surprised they paid that much for a gazillion of them.

11. JulieDC says:

DON’T BE FOOLED – A FREE IPOD IS WORTHLESS WHEN KEYBANK REFUSES TO EVEN PROTECT YOUR MONEY

Hi, I don’t even know where to start…

Ok, how about this… they let some guy pass checks on my business account – the checks don’t even look like our checks. I had to be the one to jump through hoops (police report, meeting at the bank, affidavit, etc.) EVEN THOUGH it is clear that this con-artist is not a signer on my account. The people at the bank said, basically, tough shit, we don’t have time to check signatures or do anything to ensure that any Tom, Dick or Harry can’t just print up checks and go shopping with your money. They could not care less.

What else… oh, my friend’s family business (a restaurant) used to bank there and she went in to get change for the cash register and they wouldn’t give her any change even though they know who she is. They said it had to be her husband since he was the signer on the account. So, let’s see, guess he has to drop the running of the business (don’t burn that pizza) to drive to the bank for change rather than sending his wife or an employee, even though the bank employees know the wife and most of the employees. Does this make sense?

Oh, then there’s the payroll fiasco. Let me just summarize that there is no one at KeyBank who knows how to process payroll. There have been some very nice people who have actually returened my calls so they could pass my information on to someone who won’t return calls.

Oh, and I’ve been asking for 3 years how to get my statements and checks by mail. I’ve never been able to get an answer on this one. I guess they just have online statements with the information expiring within 60 days. I can’t say since no one is interested in answering the question.

Oh, oh! This one is priceless! They are now promoting investment services but when you call, the sales staff has no idea what percentages the investments yield. Ha!

These people are idiots and no one should trust them with money.

Get the free IPod then get out!

12. Dorian says:

This is a GREAT scam Key Bank has cooked up. On August 31, I opened a student checking account online (and that was anything but easy). My initial deposit was a $50 transfer from my Bank of America account. It took until September 15 before the funds posted to my Key Bank account! Then the non-stop hoop jumping began. I did not receive ANY correspondence in the mail to inform me of my account number. Without an account number it is impossible to talk to customer service! To make a long story short, I signed up for online statements and applied for and was approved for a student credit card. The final requirement was to get a debit card. I e-mailed them to ask when my debit and credit cards would be arriving. They replied back that the credit card can take up to 14 days. They did not mention ANYTHING about the debit card so I just assumed it too would be coming in the mail. Today I called Key Bank to ask if everything has been fulfilled for my free ipod. The lady says no because I DID NOT OBTAIN A DEBIT CARD!!! Don’t banks usually GIVE those to you when you open an account with them? Then she tells me I needed to have obtained the debit card before October 5, 2007 and since it is now October 11, I do not qualify! So basically these a-holes wasted my time AND they get to keep my $50 for six months interest free or I have to pay a $25 penalty to close the account early.

13. Brittney says:

I got my iPod nano and I am so excited! I wasn’t sure that I would really get it. I also thought it would take longer, but only a couple months. I thought it would take longer because of the 180 day cancellation policy.

14. Cal says:

So you have to pay a few bucks n tax’s1 BIG DEAL.You could have had to pay full price.
    I am Happy with the deal.