Credit, Free, Personal Finance
comments

Free Money from Credit Card Companies

Update 11/1: All these offers are no longer available but you can find the latest promotions here.

Before I bought a house I was very very concerned about my credit score so I didn’t take advantage of free money offers from credit cards. Every time you apply for a card the issuing bank pulls your credit and a lot of inquiries negatively impact your score. Now that I own a home, don’t anticipate any other large purchases, I’m going to get back into the free money game.

First offer: $100 Visa Gift Card from Schwab/MBNA Visa card, it used to be $150 but as savvy saver says, $100 is $100 (and more than $0). I’ll consider it a housewarming gift from Schwab to me. :)

Second offer: $100 card credit from Sony Card, unfortunately I already have a Sony Card so I can’t cash in on this. Shucks.

Third offer: 2 free nights at a Choice Privileges award night hotel from Choice Privileges Visa Platinum Card, I’m tempted but I don’t know if I’ll be needing two nights… at least not yet.

So of the three I could find, I’ve only applied to the first. $100 is a nice chunk of change to get for nothing right?

9 Responses to “Free Money from Credit Card Companies”

1. Cap says:

darn, you shoulda jump in on the $150 when it was available. It was supper popular. Unfortunately I applied for enough during that time, (was waiting for some 0% BT offers), so I couldnt’ cash in on it. Eh, I have enough accounts open as it is.

2. Mel says:

The sony website is shut down right now…but I did apply for the Schwab one…thanks!

3. jim says:

Looks like scheduled downtime, it’ll be back, I don’t know any credit cards turning away customers. :)

4. Mel says:

How long did it take for you to get the Schwab card? I applied and was told they’d send me a letter. The website, however, said it would be an instant decision. I have excellent credit.

5. jim says:

I haven’t received the card yet, the site does say some people would get an instant decision… I however wasn’t one of them. I just bought a house so I know I have very good credit. I’ll let you all know when the card actually arrives.

6. Mel says:

I finally got on the Sony site. Can’t wait to see what happens!

Thanks!
    Melissa :)

7. Mel says:

Got my Schwab card today!

8. jim says:

Cool, don’t spend the $100 all in one place. :)

I still haven’t heard a peep, maybe it’ll be in my mailbox…

9. ASAP Credit Card says:

Credit card companies love to offer incentives for you to sign up for the offers. But be aware: these types of offers generally have higher interest rates, and often include annual fees.

If you don’t plan on using this type of card often, or you know you can pay off purchases quickly… the REWARDS could outweigh the higher rates and fees. But if you carry a balance too long, the extra bonus you earn might not be worth it. You would be better off with a low rate credit card (without the extra rewards) if you aren’t able to pay off the purchases quickly. But if you don’t plan on carrying a balance very long… go for the rewards!

[links edited - if you'd like to advertise on this site, there are additional details here]