Frugal Living
comments

Frugal and Convenient Breakfast Recipes

Breakfast can be a very frugal meal, if you have time to prepare it. Unfortunately, time is a big problem when it comes to breakfast. My kids get up at 6:15 every morning, so they can catch the school bus at 7:15. If I were to get up to make them breakfast every day, I’d have to get up at 5:45. And that idea doesn’t appeal to me at all.

When I found myself turning to expensive breakfast cereals day after day, I started looking for a better solution. I began making my own convenience breakfast foods. They’re much more nutritious, and frugal, than their store bought counterparts. I’ll start you off with a couple of ideas, but the possibilities are endless.

Pancakes and Waffles

Breakfast Waffles!My children love pancakes and waffles for breakfast. Fortunately both freeze well, and they’re easy to reheat in the mornings.

To make ahead, whip up your favorite pancake or waffle recipe. I like the Whole Wheat Pancake recipe from Nutrition Fitness Life. Triple (or more!) the recipe, so you can make several meals at once.

Place your cooked pancakes or waffles in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze. When they’re frozen, move them to a freezer bag. For a quick breakfast, pull out the amount of pancakes or waffles that you need, and heat them up in the microwave or toaster.

Breakfast Burritos

Breakfast Burritos!I like breakfast burritos, because they’re so versatile, and they freeze really well. They’re easy to make, too.

To start, you’ll need tortillas, eggs, cheese, and any other fillers you like. You can use bacon, salsa, ham, green chilies, veggies, or anything else that appeals to you. You can easily make more than one kind of breakfast wrap in a single cooking session too. Figure on two eggs per burrito.

Set up an assembly line on your kitchen counter. Lay out the tortillas, cheese, and all your other fillers in a line. End your assembly line with a box of plastic wrap and some freezer bags.

Scramble your eggs. Place some in the center of a tortilla, like you would if you were making a burrito. Add some cheese and other fillers. Then turn in the top and bottom of the tortilla and roll it up, totally encasing the eggs and toppings in the tortilla.

Wrap the breakfast burritos in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag in the freezer. When you need a quick breakfast, pull out as many burritos as you need, remove the plastic wrap, and heat in the microwave 1-2 minutes per burrito.

By making breakfast ahead of time, I get to catch a few more minutes of sleep in the mornings, and I know my family is eating a healthy, yet inexpensive, breakfast each morning to start the day off right.

Do you have any quick, yet frugal breakfast ideas? I’d love to hear them!

(Photo: Waffles by dasqfamily, Burrito by edkohler)

18 Responses to “Frugal and Convenient Breakfast Recipes”

1. devianM says:

Wow, while looking at the pictures, I’m starving and wanna quit my work and have some snacks.. Looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing this.

2. john says:

For the easiest best tasting breakfast with almost zero cleanup find yourself a toaster with egg cooker from the company “back to basics.” it will make you egg mcmuffin style sandwiches in 5 minutes with almost zero effort. I’ve totally fallen in love with mine and bragged about it to all my friends who then bought one and loved it. You can get them at many grocery stores or on amazon for about 40 bucks. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Seriously.

3. For 10 years I’ve made the same breakfast at least 3 or 4 times a week.

1/2 cup 1 minute oats
    small handful of golden raisins
    three dried apricots
    two prunes
    cinnamon
    honey to taste

It’s simple, healthy, and ready in in less than 5 minutes. It is also VERY cheap. The cost is less than 50 cents per serving.

4. Patrick says:

I love waffles and pancakes for breakfast and especially how inexpensive they are to make. Oatmeal is also a great convenient and inexpensive breakfast item.

5. DebtGoal says:

Eggs are the ultimate budget-conscious breakfast food, since they are so nutritious, inexpensive, and usable in a wide range of dishes.

6. Jaye says:

I make egg muffins for a fast and easy breakfast. On Saturdays, I gather up the veggies that did not get eat during the week and sauté them in a pan for about 5 minutes until they are soft but still crunchy.

Then I spray a muffin pan with Pam and dump in the veggies filling the muffin cups about half way full and if I have it add a little cheese. Next because I am watching my waist line as well as my bottom line I pour egg beaters to fill the muffin cups up. Cook for about 20 minutes at 350. Or until the egg no longer looks runny.

Later I freeze them in separate baggies and grab one in the mornings on the way to work. Sometimes put the egg muffins on toast for an egg sandwich. Other times I just use them as filler for egg burritos and add salsa.

They are really versatile and I like that I mainly use leftovers to make them with. All I need to buy is egg beaters, but you can use regular eggs.

7. Dustin says:

I go with,

Allow a small skillet to heat up under medium heat, apply a little olive oil to the skillet, pour in some Costco/Kirkland egg beaters (nice and convenient), right after add some precooked crumbled Costco bacon, allow it to cook until it starts to solidify on the top, flip the eggs to cook on the other side for about 15-30 seconds. Remove from skillet, then fold eggs with your favorite deli cheese (my favorite is hot pepper) in between. Easy clean up, easy to make multiple servings since the skillet is already warm, and total time to prepare, cook, and clean up is about 5-10 minutes. I’ve never calculated the cost, but I’m pretty sure it is between .25-.50 a serving assuming you have a Costco nearby.

8. Paige says:

Thanks for these great ideas! My daughter isn’t in school yet, but my hubby has to be at work at 6 most mornings. I think he would really appreciate it if I made him some breakfast burritos. He doesn’t usually allow himself enough time for breakfast and this is something he can eat on the way in.

9. Lou says:

Ok, this requires setup & organization, but once you’ve done it, it’s easy & kids love, esp in the hot weather:

YOGURT BREAKFAST SUNDAE
    1 pkg frozen strawberries, thawed,
    1 qt Stoneyfield banilla yogurt (the banana flavor matters)
    Crunchy cereal (I use Kashi 7 Whole grain nuggets)
    raisins
    chopped walnuts

Assemble each serving in this order:
    1-3 TBSP cereal
    2-5 heaping TBSP yogurt
    1-2 TBSP berries with some juice
    6-10 raisins
    1 TBSP walnuts

this makes a small portion, good for a 4 year old.
    Vary subsequent servings (size and proportions) to suit your kids’ preferences

Substitutions:
    I used to use Ancient Grains cereal, but can’t find it any more. I’ve used the super crunchy Cheerios in a pinch. You want any cereal that doesn’t get soggy.
    Trader Joe makes a good banana yogurt in individual 4 oz cups, just as good, but more expensive. Ditto the baby ones.
    Usually the berry pieces in the pkg are too big, It’s worth the tine to stick your kitchen shears into the package & chop them a bit. Other berries are ok, esp raspberries. No added sugar is best, but I get the Acme brand.

Kids really think of these as sundaes, but all the sweetness comes from the berries & raisins.

YUMMY!!

10. Charity says:

Since my husband and I are trying to lose weight, we do the oatmeal thing. However, I cook a week’s amount of oatmeal on the first day of the week. That is, Old fashioned oats, with milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Since we are working on portion sizes, we use the ice-cream scoop to serve up 1/3 cup of oatmeal, with 2 tsp with pureed prunes and we have that with a banana. So, all we need to do is to scoop and heat the oatmeal, then add prune and grab a banana. Also, feel free to add some flaxseed meal. No sugar needed, as both the banana and the prunes provide the sweetness

11. Emilie says:

I have what I call the “World-Famous 90 Second Breakfast” which is delish and truly takes 90 seconds.

**Great for the car!**

Pick up the Arnold’s Select Sandwich Thins. They are a round sandwich bread, 100 calories apiece, and yummy. (Find them with the other sandwich bread.)

Find a microwave-safe container (ideally glass) that is approximately the same size as the bread. I use an Anchor Hocking clear glass container that came with a dark blue lid (from Target). Approx. 2 cup size.

Here’s the recipe:
    Break an egg into the glass container. Scramble with fork, add small handful of grated cheese or a thin slice or cheese. (Other additions are veggies or whatever you like in eggs.) Stir well.

Microwave until egg is cooked, 45-60 seconds.

Slide egg out onto open bread. (A yummy addition is horseradish sauce!). Slide into a ziploc bag and go out the door!

That’s it! I like to leave it a minute in the sealed bag because the bread warms up, but it’s great either way.

12. Shaina says:

Great tip with the waffles! Have you tried Van’s Organic Frozen Waffles. Made from all natural ingredients, these waffles are free of dairy, eggs, trans fat and preservatives. They also have wheat free varieties, mini sized waffles rich in calcium for kids, or a great 97% fat free option.

Or, if you’re looking for other healthy breakfast options on the run, you might be interested in Eggology’s new organic Hardboiled Eggs or their On-the-Go Egg Whites -organic scrambled egg whites ready in 95 seconds in the microwave.

In addition, Barbara’s Bakery has a range of all-natural and organic cereals and bars that might be of interest, such as their Puffins, Weetabix, Ultima or Shredded cereals. More info at BarbarasBakery.com, VansFoods.com & Eggology.com.

Here’s to a healthy & happy breakfast.
    -Shaina with the team at Barbara’s Bakery, Van’s Intl. Foods & Eggology

13. LTWM says:

Over the years I learned that breakfast is the BEST way to kick off a good day-however, eating unhealthy breakfast would be counterproductive towards starting off sharp. That’s why I fell in love with Eggology and especially their On-the-Go snacks. (www.eggology.com)

Not only do I feel healthy by eating this instead of my bagel with Nutella, I also find that my body functions a lot better when it’s been fed 100% organic/natural products. Try it and I hope you become as big of a fan as I have become! – LTWM

14. sue says:

I am very new to this “frugal” website as of today. now i am hooked on the information provided..the recipes are GREAT.. thanks so much for sharing. especially the muffin pan one.Sue

15. marta says:

My husband bought me a toaster that is also an egg poacher! I love it! in a couple of minutes I can toast a muffin or bagle poach the egg [they can both cook at the same time] and warm up a piece of pre-cooked meat and bam I have a breakfast sandwich that is better than anyting you buy at a fast food restaurant! Everyone should own one of these.

16. jen says:

i also loe to make breakfast but i leave before my kids wake up. on the weekends we make huge batches of french toast, waffles and pancakes, they heat them in the toaster. they also make omlets in a ziplock baggie floating in boiling water for about 12 min while they are getting ready and they are great we make them the night before keep in the fridge.

17. renae says:

My cheap eats are:

My Mom’s one eyed sandwiches were the best and my kids love them.
    melt a little butter in the skillet
    one piece of bread with a 1/2 dollar size piece of the bread cut out
    crack an egg and drop it into the hole and fry until bread is golden brown. Flip the bread/egg over and brown slightly. We like the egg “drippy”. Don’t forget to fry up the 1/2 dollar size piece of bread in butter too.

Strata is another low cost favorite.
    6 eggs mixed in a bowl with 2-3 cups milk
    1 cup cheese
    4 pieces of any kind of leftover bread, torn in several 2 inch sized pieces
    any left over bacon/sausage/hamburger/chicken
    any leftover veggies
    seasonings
    put all of it in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 40 min or so.
    ANY leftovers that you need to use up can be used.

18. I like making muffins and breads to keep in the freezer for quick meals.