Insurance
comments

GEICO Good Student Discount

My girlfriend gave me a great idea the other day about how I should see if I still qualify for the Good Student Discount from Geico now that I’m back part-time at Johns Hopkins. Unfortunately, I’m not. These are the rules for the Geico Good Student Discount (from the Geico Rate Class Explanation sheet):

GOOD STUDENT DISCOUNT: Owners or operators who are age 16-24 and full-time students (including those in an academic home study program) may be eligible for this discount. The individual must be classified as a single or married male or a single female operator. Scholastic records for the immediately preceding school semester or quarter (or comparable segment) must show that each such operator was a full-time student and:

1. ranked scholastically among the upper 20% of the class, or
  2. had a grade average of B or its equivalent, or
  3. had an average of at least three points for all subjects combined, or its equivalent, or
  4. was included in the “Dean’s List,” “Honor Roll,” or comparable listing for scholastic achievement, or
  5. ranked in the upper 20% of one of the following national standardized tests administered within the past 12 months: PSAT, PACT, SAT-I, ACT, Iowa Test of Basic skills, California Achievement test, or TAP.

I don’t fit in the 16-24 age group so I’m disqualified on that account plus I’m not full-time, I’m only part time. Oh well, it was worth shot!

14 Responses to “GEICO Good Student Discount”

1. FMF says:

Yeah. And #1 and #2 slow you down a bit too, huh? ;-)

2. Lisa says:

I am not sure if I understand. If you are full time and a married female you don’t qualify? Why is it okay to have a discount for married men and not married women?

3. Martha says:

I’m pretty sure that once you are a married woman you are in the lowest bracket of car insurance whereas men still have age barriers, ie reaching 25.

4. jim says:

According to the rules as written, it appears that a full-time married female student, who otherwise qualifies, isn’t eligible. I bet most likely it is because you can get a much bigger discount by going with the same insurer as the husband, I highly doubt it’s because they’re discriminating against female full-time married students (which is quite possibly the safest driver on the road, second only to perhaps female full-time married students with children).

5. Lauren says:

I believe women have age barriers as well, although I was denied a discount for being in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars because I’m already in Geico’s “super-premium” something or other class. I do think it may go down when I get married in April, and then again when I turn 25, but that may only apply to men. Who knows.

6. jim says:

Geico has a single overarching “affiliation discount” for anyone who is a member of another organization that pushes Geico. I was a member of two organizations and the CSR told me that if you’re in one, you get the same discount (7% I think for me). Once you join and show proof of membership once, you’re never asked again.

7. Jon says:

Is the 3.0 GPA based on cumulative GPA or previous semester GPA?

8. Med says:

What if your gpa is only 3.0 weighted, and that is the only gpa shown on the report card? Do i still qualify?

9. GPA=GOOD DRIVING? says:

I heard from other insurance companies that this does not really help with the price because they also add additional fees to your payment once you do this, they told me most you’ll get out is like a 10-40 dollars or more but not up to much. I also know this because I know of someone who worked there and told me himself as well. Which makes sense considering a good gpa has nothing to do with if your a good driver or not at all so yeah, keep in mind, if your insurance costs too much, look into mercury or all state or some other insurance companies. This could be just from my point of view though considering insurance differs from every individual depending on their car and etc. Good luck :)

10. diamondkris says:

Does a summer school session count as a semester?

11. gale says:

Why would a cumulative GPA of over 3.0 not be a qualifier?