Taxes
comments

Getting Your Tax Stimulus Check

If you’re wondering where your stimulus check is, try this IRS tool.

Update: The bill has passed, the checks will be mailed out based on this stimulus tax rebate check schedule, so file your returns (even if you didn’t need to) to get your check.

I wanted to make an addendum to the article I wrote about the 2008 Tax Rebate Stimulus package that was recently passed in the House of Representatives. There have been a lot of questions as to how much someone would get, what tax year the rules are applied to, what counts as a “child,” etc.

Over $1200 in credit card promotional offers, take advantage of it!

First off, I think we are still too early in the game to be discussing those things because the Senate still needs to pass a similarly worded bill, the two bills have to be married, and then the President needs to sign it. Then the number crunchers have to do the math and then finally checks will be mailed out in May or June or July. The biggest of the hurdles will come in the Senate but ultimately there still are many hurdles. This “economic stimulus package” (I put it in quotes because there is fierce debate as to the effectiveness of the package) is still far from a certainty. Preparing as if it will appear in a few months would be a mistake.

Secondly, since you won’t have to do anything (you don’t file a form, you don’t call anyone), there isn’t really much you should do. If it goes through, a check will arrive in the mail one day in May or June or July and you’ll find yourself a few hundred dollars richer. If you’re just treading water, maybe that gets you some breathing room. If you’re more financially stable, maybe you put that towards some debt or pad your emergency fund. If you’re looking to make a purchase that’s contingent on getting that check, I’d wait until after it clears before swiping your card.

lastly, don’t believe the mainstream media when they say that a deal has been struck and that you will definitely be getting money. A deal was made in the House, the other chamber has yet to pass something, and Congress’ idea of breakneck speed leaves much to be desired. Do not count on this money!

121 Responses to “Getting Your Tax Stimulus Check”

1. LD says:

I have physically lost my stimulus check (had it, but cannot locate it anymore)
    Anyone have an idea as to what my next step should be?

2. Jason says:

We have the same problem. My wife lost our check on a windy day. It flew out the car window and we could not find it. We do not know what to do!!!

3. Beverly Cordone says:

The check eligibility requirements really screwed me over. I only worked half of the year last year because I left for college, and in total I only made $1700.00 for the time I worked. I made minimum wage ($5.15) and only had 15 hours a week at my job (due to being high school). I didn’t make enough money to qualify. I paid my taxes, I worked, and now I have tuition and college costs to pay. Why isn’t that a good enough reason to get a stimulus check??? Sorry for ranting, but it’s just frustrating.

4. Ellen says:

5. Ellen says:

It is the same old thing. The ones that make the most money get the biggest refund. It is never for the low income or the middle income. The limit on that package whould have been $50,000.00 not $175,000.00. If they are making that kind of money they don’t need help unless they are over spending. It is July 12th we still haven’t got ours and it was suppoed tobe direct deposit.

6. jo says:

i have ss retirement/over 3000.00 and cd interest/do i qualify for stiminous check?

7. Mary bentley says:

I too misplaced my check saw it and bingo couldn’t find it.
    can I have it deleted and print another one or if you have a better solution would welcome another one ?
    please let me know?
    Mary

8. glenn says:

what happens if the post office sends ur rebate check bqck to the irs? i had no mail box at the time and now i have no idea where or how to get my check?

9. Audrey Strain says:

I’m an 86 year old widow, living on Social; Security,and have not received the stimulus check that I should be entitled to. I filed Form 1040A, mailed it on April 1/08. I called IRS today and they told that my 1040A had never been received, although I have my dated copy. He told me to get Form 1040X, fill it in, send it by U.S. mail. He said not to file another 1040A as it would cause a delay.

When I found 1040X it was for people who had debts. I have no debts. What do I do now?

10. dennis olexa says:

my 88 year old mom never worked outside the home. She was married to my father for 35 years before he died in 1974. She receives his Soc. Sec. benefits.Does she qualify for a federal rebate incentive check?

11. tammie says:

the same happened to me my check went out the back window in my truck i didnt find mine either ! i did call the irs to reort it lost and was told that i had to wait 6 weeks to make a claim . after waiting six weeks i made my claim was told i should be mailed another check in about two weeks . its now been 3 and a 1/2 weeks and still no check and the hold time to call and ask someone is unreal so now what happens ?

12. Audrey Strain says:

I’m an 86 year old widow, living on Social security and have some mutual funds and dividends. I had TurboTax do my taxes over the internet. They sent it electronically. When I called the IRS in August, they told me I wasn’t eligable, but didn’t tell me why. They sent me form 1040X which I returned to them, as directed. My income barely meets my expenses. I know a coupl;e of widows who got $600 who are in the same situation as me. Why don’t I get a check too?

• I finally received a check for $300.00 in October, 2008. No explanation why $300.00 instead of the $300.00 instead of
      $600.00 like my friends received. I’d would like an answer.

4600 l

13. gryphon says:

OK it comes down to this. We should have never blailed out AIG in the first place if we have that kind of money give it to the people. 300 million people in the U.S. give them 1 million each and call it good see what happens from there. A check for $600 is a joke and slap in the face. 300 million is a far cry from 750 billion let the people save themselves and those who don’t have a housing problem which I would would be most would spend or invest with the money. Easy fix but could never pass it……sad

14. Sharon says:

Never got a stimulus package…Husband got 600.00, is that it….>?????

15. cyndi campbell says:

i have never recived a stemulus check . am intitled to one?

• PETER J. says:

I filed my tax return for 2008 late, in November of 2008. I received a refund for over-payment of taxes, but want to know if I still qualify for the stimulus check. Does anybody know how I would go about getting it, if I am in fact still qualified? Thank You.

16. douglas kenney says:

Will we get a $1200.00 stimulus check in Jan. 09? All ready passed by the senate and I believe George Bush.

17. Anonymous says:

where is my stimuls check
    I ask the postoffice about it they are not sure what a letter is no help at all
    who might have an answer?

18. WILLIE says:

We received $600.00 total for myself and my wife. I sent off a letter because we have three children under the age of 17 and within one month or maybe less a check for $900.00 came in the mail. I was happy because I thought they would ignor my letter, but they actually take the time to read whatever is submitted to them. We ended up with $1500.00 and where is it? It was well spent and maybe we will get another check in 2009.

19. JAC says:

If I owe back taxes, will I get a stimulus check.

20. JAC says:

Will I get a stimulus check if I owe back taxes.

• saladdin says:

Q. I’m eligible for a payment but I still owe federal income tax from a prior year. Will my payment be reduced?

A. Yes. For this purpose, the stimulus payment is treated like any other tax refund. This means that part or all of your payment can be used to pay past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support. If this occurs, you will receive a letter explaining how the stimulus payment was applied.

21. Markus says:

I dont want any money from the government. This country is turning into a COMMUNIST country. Anyone who can read, and relate back to history, can clearly see we are headed for a downfall.
    This stimulus check is more or less “a kid in a candy store” this meaning that it will not help the economy, due to so many people trying to pay their bills.

• saladdin says:

What are you talking about? Do you even know what communism is?

So you don’t want firemen, policemen, libraries, parks, teachers, high school sports… I would keep going but you wouldn’t get it.

saladdin

22. Markus says:

What are you talking about? Do you know what Communism is? Communism is a socioeconomic structure and political ideology that promotes the establishment of an egalitarian, classless, stateless society based on common ownership and control of the means of production and property in general. Have you reviewed the NEW AMERO that the government has been minting in Denver and is stockpiling it in Japan for the last 4 years. Meaning that the US, Mexico, Canada, and Europe will be a one world nation under this new type of monies. Read into revelations in which it speaks about one world countries.
    Research Karl Marx before you speak with me about socialism (in which we are already in) or communism……… If all you know about communism is parks, police, and sports (Iraq was a communist country and has sports, olimpian sports, as well as North Korea.
    Soo good for your I SURE HOPE WE CAN LIVE WITHOUT LIBRARIES AND TEACHERS!!!!!!!!! Research Dude

23. Markus says:

saladdin

You got no words yet bro, for a recourse on my comment. I guess you are still thinking about gardens, sports, ken dolls, etc. GOTCH YA

• saladdin says:

Actually I had better things to do.

You said you didn’t want “want any money from the government.” I was asking for all the money back that was spent on you on things you use and enjoy every day but take for granted.

I see you know how to use Google to look up definitions. But you lost me with the god talk. Enjoy the cult.

saladdin

24. ana says:

I’am also a single parent, but I thank God that I got a very good job working with State and Goverment projects. I think I also qualify if there going on base on my 2007 tax return.I hope everyone can receive one. I’am also very bless.

25. Donna Coker says:

My husband got his stimulus check to day, it was for only $102.00 why so low?