Taxes
comments

Getting Your Tax Stimulus Check

If you’re wondering where your stimulus check is, try this IRS tool.

Update: The bill has passed, the checks will be mailed out based on this stimulus tax rebate check schedule, so file your returns (even if you didn’t need to) to get your check.

I wanted to make an addendum to the article I wrote about the 2008 Tax Rebate Stimulus package that was recently passed in the House of Representatives. There have been a lot of questions as to how much someone would get, what tax year the rules are applied to, what counts as a “child,” etc.

Over $1200 in credit card promotional offers, take advantage of it!

First off, I think we are still too early in the game to be discussing those things because the Senate still needs to pass a similarly worded bill, the two bills have to be married, and then the President needs to sign it. Then the number crunchers have to do the math and then finally checks will be mailed out in May or June or July. The biggest of the hurdles will come in the Senate but ultimately there still are many hurdles. This “economic stimulus package” (I put it in quotes because there is fierce debate as to the effectiveness of the package) is still far from a certainty. Preparing as if it will appear in a few months would be a mistake.

Secondly, since you won’t have to do anything (you don’t file a form, you don’t call anyone), there isn’t really much you should do. If it goes through, a check will arrive in the mail one day in May or June or July and you’ll find yourself a few hundred dollars richer. If you’re just treading water, maybe that gets you some breathing room. If you’re more financially stable, maybe you put that towards some debt or pad your emergency fund. If you’re looking to make a purchase that’s contingent on getting that check, I’d wait until after it clears before swiping your card.

lastly, don’t believe the mainstream media when they say that a deal has been struck and that you will definitely be getting money. A deal was made in the House, the other chamber has yet to pass something, and Congress’ idea of breakneck speed leaves much to be desired. Do not count on this money!

121 Responses to “Getting Your Tax Stimulus Check”

1. Anonymous says:

i worked all of last year and part of this year but know i am unemployed will i still get my check if so how

2. Julie says:

I am the POA for my mother who lives in an assisted living facility. She is currently on Medicaid and Medicare. The facility does not collect her SS or retirement, they simply bill me and I submit payment to them once a month.
    I take care of my mother’s checking account. Her SS and retirement are deposited directly into this account. She has not received the $250 stimulus money promised to the elderly.
    How do I help her?
    Thank you for your reply.

3. Betty says:

My nephew never received his 2008 stimulus check. who can he contact to find out why or if it was returned. Please let me know. He does not have internet access, so that is why I am asking for him

4. zonnie says:

will we get a rebate be this year if so when will we be getting it

5. tuaoi paga says:

My name is Tuaoi Paga..my last two digits are 13and my wife is 19, it supposed to received on the 30th of May..but we never receive any check, so please, can you check it out for me or if I have a stimulus check or we qualify for the kids credit.

6. nancy sanders says:

I receive social security checks and I also worked some last year and filed an income tax report. i have received the social security ” recovery ” check, will I also receive a stimmulus check from the IRS ?

7. dennis says:

How do yu find out weather you are elgible for the stimulis check and when yu should have recieved it , and where to go if you are elgible for it and havent recieved it ?

8. des says:

To qualify for the 2009 stimulus check you had to have already been on social security by the end of 2008 to receive your 2009 stimulus check in May 2009. If you started your social security income January 1, 2009 or later you do not qualify for this years stimulus check.

9. Claire says:

Hi
    I recieved a notice as I am on SSD that I would be recieving a 250.00 stimulus check…If your SS is direct deposited so would stimilus check..
    Nothing was ever recieved…
    Was this a joke??

10. Thomas says:

my familey has been wondering whene we get our stimules checks we been waiting a year almost we would like too know whene will we gat our checks?

11. LaQuanna Young says:

I never received my stimulus check for 2009 or 2010. Its like they forgot about me. How long do it take to receive it? I haven’t received nothing from the IRS….How do I go bout trying to find out about getting my stimulus check…

Thanks a very concerned taxpayer