Your Take
comments

Your Take: Would You Use Google Wallet?

Google WalletLast week, Google unveiled Google Wallet, a payment system that’s linked with your cell phone (at the moment, only one model of the Android phones). It would let you wave your card next to a reader to pay, rather than handing over cash or swiping a card. It’s supposed to launch over the summer with trials in San Francisco and New York City, with expansions to other areas and devices. The first retailers to begin accepting them will be Macy’s, Subway, Walgreens, Roys “R” Us, Bloomingdale’s and Guess.

I’m personally not concerned about the security implications because you can always fall back on the $0 liability guarantee that it will undoubtedly be offered (it’s connected to a card, which itself has that guarantee). As for convenience, I like the idea of contactless payments but I don’t know if my phone is going to be what I prefer to use. Since I’m going to be carrying my credit card anyway, I might as well use it rather than my phone. That said, while I won’t rush out to get a device that offers it, I would probably use it if it came with a phone I was otherwise going to get anyway.

The part that would concern me, but doesn’t, is Google’s continued expansion into other business areas. While they state they don’t have “access to users’ financial information or purchase history,” they will record the time and location of the purchase (and any coupons they use). They want to be at the POS so they can tie this into their local deals service, Google Offers. I’m fine with them going into different business areas but I’m always a little concerned what they do with all the data they’re collecting.

How do you feel about Google Wallet?

14 Responses to “Your Take: Would You Use Google Wallet?”

1. cubiclegeoff says:

I see the convenience factor, and the less you have to carry the better. Also, the possible security benefit, if the numbers require a personal pin or something before you can swipe, which would make it harder to get the card information than if someone just stole your wallet with your credit cards in it.

However, I agree with your concern about Google collecting information and having no idea how it’s used or where it is stored. But it’s getting to the point that no matter what, your information is out there.

2. Caitlin says:

I think it’s a step in the right direction. It’s fairly useless unless if it’s stuck on proprietary systems for a while (certain phones only, certain stores only) but I figure eventually the technology will spread and it’ll become more useful. Come on, sc-fi technology! We’re waiting for you!

3. mannymacho says:

I think even with a $0 liability guarantee there is a lot of stress and hassle involved in erasing fraudulent payments. There is enough credit card fraud in this country already (which, frankly, is made way too easy by the system that is in place) and I don’t think this will help.

4. Anthony says:

They should implant Google Wallet chips into people’s wrists and use our fingerprints as a security measure. That way, no credit cards, and no phone, if you’re not interested in using it that way.

LOL.

Seriously though, lower fees from Google Wallet will hopefully push MasterCard and Visa to lower their fees. I didn’t read all of the details about Google Wallet and definitely didn’t read about their fee structure.

5. Katrin says:

I’m excited for it. I use my iPhone to buy stuff at Starbucks all the time. My Starbucks app has my card info and every Starbucks has a mobile barcode reader. I don’t understand why more companies don’t do it. I prob spend more money at Starbucks because of it. :)

6. Jennifer says:

Nah.

Convenience usually means more spending for me. Besides, the only thing that I’d use it for would be things that I’d normally pay for with cash. Given the awareness that comes with cash disbursements rather than a flick of a card or electronic payment, I’ll stick with the cash as long as possible.

7. Bailey says:

I’m with Jennifer on this 100% The further removed I get from cash the easier it is to spend more than I have. And because that’s true of many people, merchants work hard at making it more “convenient” and “painless” to spend impulsively.

8. noWhere says:

Yes,I would use it for the convenience of having a slimmer wallet. I am not an impulse buyer and never carry a balance on my cards. Makes sense to me…bring it on!

9. Rosa Rugosa says:

I don’t have a cellphone, so it’s strictly a theoretical question for me, but I’m totally with Jennifer. I see way too many people in dire financial straits every day. The idea of them being able to spend more by just waving something makes my blood run cold.

10. Scott says:

I’m all for getting rid of my wallet and using my cell phone to pay for everything. I have a Nexus S phone which has the NFC chip. It will still be awhile before all the pieces are in place to use it at most places I shop, but it is exciting technology.
    Everyone freaks out about security, but if the digital card on your cell phone is protected by a password, it should be more secure than a Chase visa card in your wallet that uses the blink technology.

11. govenar says:

I don’t see much benefit to it.

12. skylog says:

i mean, eventually, yes. this is the future, even if it is the present in parts of asia. it will take a while for it to get going here, but in time it will just as ubiquitous as a debit card.

if it is offered in my area, and i have the right technology i will gladly be on board.

13. As I have gotten older, I have been more of a “later” adopter of new technology. That being said, I believe that once Google brings on more retailers, I will definitely jump on the band wagon. I guess that it would be one of those – that is so cool, I just have to have it items, but hey – it is cool!

Taking away the cool factor, you are dead on with the concerns with Google and personal information. I recently reflected on how much information that Google has already collected on me. I use a bunch of their products – gMail, Picassa, Google Voice, Google Documents and on and on.

They really do know a whole lot about me and my preferences and web activity, but I guess that is the price that we pay for the conveniences and high-quality applications and services that Google has made available to us – mostly for free.