Your Take
comments

Your Take: Holiday Travel Plans This Year

Traffic JamI was reading that 40% of residents in the Washington D.C. area plan on traveling for the holidays, not surprising given the presence of the federal government, and 90% of the 2.3 million people in the area plan on leaving by car. AAA’s annual survey reported these results earlier this week and given how many cars are in the area (the D.C. beltway is always a mess), It’s guaranteed to be some massive gridlock as people bolt.

We’re going to be staying put with family visiting us. We swap out travel time with cooking time but I think that’s a fair trade. I enjoy cooking more than I enjoy sitting in traffic or taking my shoes off at the airport so it’s all good here.

How do you plan on traveling? By car, train, boat, or airplane? And far will you be traveling? I’m curious who will be traveling the farthest or the most this year!

(Photo: Andreas)

14 Responses to “Your Take: Holiday Travel Plans This Year”

1. lostAnnfound says:

Traveling by car for 20 minutes to my sister’s house for dinner, but on Sunday this year, not on Christmas Day; we’ll be staying home that day!

2. My travels won’t be too difficult. I’ll fly from Boston to Minneapolis (~6 hour round trip). Though there was one year I drove from Minneapolis to Chicago, flew in to Rome, flew to Pisa, and drove to a town just outside, all in one day!

3. Jim M says:

Traveling to NYC from the DC suburbs with my 5 children in the car. Pray for me.

4. Barb says:

Help me get out of Chicago to warmer weather. Everything is just so expensive this year and I have to return by January 2nd.

5. I’m not going anywhere. I will visit a few friends around here…maybe. :)

6. Christian L. says:

I’ll go by car, but round trip it’s only about 230 miles. My car’s gas mileage on the highway is pretty solid, so I should only have to fill up once.

Everybody travel safe!

-Christian L. @ Smart Military Money

7. Dolores O says:

Traveling by car as I write. Heading to NJ to spend Christmas with family. A 400+ mile drive that should take about 7 hours.

8. admiral58 says:

I’ll be traveling down to DC for New Years, but hosting family for Christmas

9. daenyll says:

drove ~1000mi to spend a week or so with family, then headed home just after Christmas. This is where the major part of my mileage for the year comes from, I tend to walk/bike most of the time living in FL. I can make the trip in about 14-15hr straight, alone and not too bad on gas.

10. Shirley says:

A grandson and his family left Denver, CO on Wednesday and are expected here in CA (1,100 miles)on Sunday. This has got to be the worst time of year to be traveling and my heart is in my throat waiting for them. They won’t be going back.

11. jim says:

correction: There are over 5 million people in the Washington, DC area.

12. Ray says:

I am lucky enough to live nearby most of my relatives. We never really worry about traveling during the holidays.

13. Shirley says:

They made it here safely, albeit with no longer seeing any magic in snow. :-)

14. Jim M says:

Made it back – Traffic was a bear on the way south from NYC today but it was worth it to spend the holidays with the family.