Family
comments

Homemade Apple Pie Recipe

Homemade Apple PieMy wife told me that when she was a child, her mom would make her homemade apple pie on the first day of school. Now I, being the awesomest husband in the world, remembered this and decided I’d surprise her after her first day of grad school. I thought it was going to be harder but it turns out making homemade apple pie is remarkably simple. From start to finish, it took this pie novice less than an hour to make (minus the crust, which I cheated on).

(that photo is of the actual homemade apple pie I made, you can tell it’s homemade because of the smile! :) )

Pie Crust

I wanted to make a homemade crust but I was short on time. She told me she would be home at around 1PM and, at around eleven, she told me she was an hour ahead of schedule and would be back at noon! Since I was running short on time, I chose to buy pre-made pie crust from the store. Crust, in general, is not very difficult to make but is probably difficult to make well.

There’s something about the really flaky, crunch stuff that you simply can’t get from a crust you unroll out of a plastic bag. I recognize that store-bought crust is vastly inferior but I didn’t want to try to make a good crust in a hurry (for the first time no less!). If I were to make a crust, I would’ve used this recipe from SimplyRecipes. With two sticks of butter, I can’t see how it could be a bad crust. :)

Filling

The recipe for the filling is simple:

• 5 Granny Smith (tart) apples
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 T flour
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 T Apple Cider vinegar

The most time consuming part of the process is peeling and slicing the apples. First, peel and slice the apples, putting the pieces in a water bath mixed with a tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent browning. When you’re done, take all the other ingredients and mix them together in a bowl.

Use a fork to mix because it’ll help break up clumps as the dry ingredients mix with the cider vinegar. Drain the bowl of apples and mix in the filling mixture. When you’re done, it won’t look like much but you have yourself some apples slices covered in cinnamon and sugar. :)

Baking

Put down the pie crust and add the filling. I cooked mine at around 400 degrees F for 60 minutes with the edges covered in tin foil. Then, finish off with another ten minutes with the foil removed so it can turn a little brown. Just keep an eye on it so you don’t burn it and add time if the browning isn’t to your liking.

For easy cleanup, slip a pan underneath the pie. As the filling boils and cooks the apple, liquid will leak out and drip.

Enjoying!

Now for the best part, serve it up with some vanilla ice cream!
Homemade Apple Pie Slice with Vanilla Ice Cream

31 Responses to “Homemade Apple Pie Recipe”

1. Matt Jabs says:

Nothing better than a little homemade apple pie, made with love!

Nice work Jim. I’m sure you filled her love tank… for at least a few days anyway. ;-)

2. lostAnnfound says:

That was very sweet! your wife is a lucky woman.

I wonder how many people know how much a gesture like this can mean to their spouse. Like when my husband is up before me in the morning and puts on the teakettle (he himself is a coffee drinker), I know he’s thinking of me.

Recipe looks yummy. we’re going out apple picking with some friends in a couple of weeks. I might give this one a try, although the one I usually make, Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie, is to die for!

• Jim says:

I’ve been telling my wife she’s very lucky for the longest time, finally someone agrees. :)

With both you and centsandthecity talking about tea, I’m thinking I need to do that too… :)

3. That is so sweet! I doubt my husband would be able to pull off baking a pie, but he always makes my tea for me on the weekends so I have it right away when I wake up.
    I’ve never tried making an apple pie, because I was intimidated. Maybe I will give it a shot soon when we go apple picking! :)

• Jim says:

It was very sweet, thank you for noticing. :)

Apple pie has to be the easiest pie in the world to make, it’s not like baking a cake where it’s crucial you follow each ingredient step by step, with an apple pie you just stick the filling in and heat it up.

4. Next time you bake an apple pie, use at least two different apples–it makes a huge difference!!!

One should be sweet, the other tart. I don’t know why this should make it taste better, but it really does. Might have something to do with the blending.

Oh, also–it won’t make cutting the apples any easier, but it also makes a difference to cut the apples in thin slices. They cook better, and the mix seems to blend more thoroughly too.

• Jim says:

I’ll give the two-apple filling a try next time. As for thin slices, I had them pretty thin, it lets you pack in more apple in the space you get because you don’t have lots of air. Both are solid tips.

• ggirl says:

Tips on cutting time-use apple corer slicer from bed bath and beyond $20 and well worth the time it saves. My apples were cut up for 3 pies in 5 minutes!

5. Deby says:

Mmmmm, apple pie, my favorite. I like to use half brown sugar when I make it.

BTW, if you plan on making many more apple pies, I suggest you invest in an apple corer/peeler. Most. Awesome. Kitchen. Gadget. EVER!!!

~Deby

6. Elyssa says:

This device cuts the time of making an apple pie (minus the crust down to 15 minutes) http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku820373/index.cfm
    It’s also really great for a quick snack!

7. Susan says:

You are an awesome husband! I think gestures that require heartfelt energy and time mean much more than expensive jewellry.

8. Jon says:

Toss a few pats of butter on top of the filling before putting the top of the crust on. I’ve also put in caramel pieces. Both are good. :)

9. zapeta says:

Yum, looks good!

10. it look amazing. I’m secure your wife had a grate first day.

11. eric says:

Now make me one :)

12. Nice post, pics, and recipe. I can almost smell it!

13. Taking a cue from bakeries, I started making apple pies thicker, by using more apples. If the recipe calls for six apples, I’ll use nine or ten, so the filling is really deep. The other ingredients are adjusted accordingly, and the pie top needs to be a little bit bigger.

The extra filling seems to work well with ice cream–maybe it’s the cinnamon? But the depth of the pie, or of the filling, helps to make a really great pie.

14. Tim says:

that damn movie put me off to apple pie…i simply can’t look at one in the same way anymore

15. Patrick says:

Really great recipe. I love apple pie, but the crust tends to be high in fat because of all the butter. I would still rather have it with butter instead of a trans fat like shortening.

16. Sandra says:

We went out yesterday and picked a bunch of apples at Moscow Mountain. So, I decided to make a pie, and we’ll see how it turns out. It’s in the oven, and we can’t wait. I’ll let you know how it turns out. ;)

17. olivia says:

this recipe is great it is the one i always use! when my daughter came home from her first year of college, this is what we made for her

18. Kat says:

Like everyone’s already said — what a thoughtful thing to do! But I was wondering, what does it mean to cover the edges in foil??

• Jim says:

It’ll stop them from drying out as quickly and burning, so while the inside cooks a little the outside is kept cooler by deflecting the heat. Near the end, you remove the foil so it can get nice and crusty without burning. :)

19. Jenn M. says:

awww…what a good guy! Great job. :D I have some apples we picked that are getting a bit less crisp. Time to bake them up!