Personal Finance
comments

Homemade Dumpling Wrapper Skins

Homemade DumplingsLast weekend, my lovely wife had a few of her classmates over for dinner and a movie. For dinner, we made homemade dumplings from “scratch,” except for the skins which were store bought. We must have made close to two hundred dumplings, evenly split between a shrimp and pork filling and a pork and cabbage filling. After a quick 12 minute steaming, a little crisp frying in some sesame oil, we enjoyed the dumplings with some wine.

We made as many dumplings as we had store-bought dumpling wrappers (or are they called skins?) and we still had filling left over, about a cup and a half worth of each. Since raw shrimp and raw pork don’t last very long in the fridge, we needed to make up the rest of the dumplings quickly and pop them in the freezer.

So last night, after an afternoon of football games, I found myself at home with no skins… so I thought I’d try to make skins from scratch.

Easiest Dumpling Wrapper Skin Recipe Ever

OK, it’s just really simple dough.

• 2 cups of flour
  • 1/2 cup of water

Combine in a bowl and knead until it has a “smooth elastic texture.” If you aren’t familiar with how to knead dough, here’s an Epicurious video that explains the process in two minutes (they talk about bread dough but it’s the same idea).

Once you’re done, roll the dough until it takes on a cylindrical shape. Then you want to cut off a quarter to a half inch piece that you will then roll into a circular shape. I recommend only cutting off one at a time in the beginning until you get proficient enough in the rolling/flattening process to know how much dough you need to create wrappers thin enough for your tastes. Remember to use flour to prevent the skins from sticking to the table/board and to the roller.

Is Homemade Better Than Store-Bought?

When I revealed in my homemade dumpling post that we bought skins from the store, a few readers commented and emailed me that I should try to make homemade skins because they were better. After doing it and sampling my own creation, I have to agree that homemade is tastier because the skins aren’t dry.

The store-bought skins have a bit of toughness, even after steaming, that the homemade dumplings skins didn’t. The edges of the store-bought skins were also drier, which is inescapable. Another benefit of homemade is that you can add spices to the skin dough, which I didn’t do but will probably try next time. A little salt and pepper will add some depth to the skin’s flavor.

The trade-off is that making homemade dough, kneading it, and flattening out skins adds quite a bit of time to the dumpling making process. However, if you have the time and the inclination to try something new, give this a whirl because it’s a lot of fun to add to your cooking repertoire. :)

(Photo: joygant)

18 Responses to “Homemade Dumpling Wrapper Skins”

1. Anonymous says:

My grandma puts a little paprika, dried red peppers and sea salt in to the skins. It gives it a little kick. She says it complements the pork.

Speaking of which, those look good right about now…

2. hoht says:

My grandma puts a little paprika, sea salt, and dried grounded red peppers in the skins. She says it complements the pork filling.

Speaking of which, those look good right about now…

3. Steven says:

The more you practice, the better it becomes. My mom’s been working on her steamed bun bread mix for many years, and in the last few months, it’s getting exponentially better with all the experience she’s gained. Granted, she still refuses to write down the recipe, so I can’t capitalize. *sigh*

• Jim says:

Exactly, that’s the secret with cooking. I don’t write down any recipes either and my wife jokes that every time I make “something,” it’s different (and exciting!). :)

4. That’s a great idea. My wife loves to make dumplings, but when she buys a pack of the wrappers, we never use the whole thing. We toss them in the freezer, and then end up leaving them in there for too long until they goes bad. If we make them from scratch, we can make just the amount we need, for a fraction of the cost.

5. beautiful! makes me hungry!!

Definitely I’m going to try this.

6. P.S. For some reason the “Don’t Write Checks” post is not allowing FaM to post a comment: error message says you need Javascript (got it) and to enable cookies (yup). No problem posting here, so…a bug???

7. CreditShout says:

I’m always buying these things from the store (the actual pre-made dumplings, not just the skins) but I’ve always wanted to try to make them so now I guess I have an excuses.

8. eric says:

Forget turkey dinner…let’s have dumplings. :)

9. Those look AMAZING! I don’t know if I would have the patience to make all those little dumplings.

10. daenyll says:

totally craving dumplings and crab rangoons now…

11. Wilma says:

Home made is ALWAYS better. =)

12. My wife and I make wontons that taste so much better than anything you find at restaurants. I’ll have to suggest the recipe for the wrapper and see how it turns out.

13. Laura says:

Are you using regular flour or non glutinous flour? And, when you buy the skins are you buying wonton wrappers or rice wrappers? Thank you.

14. steve says:

thx for the recipe. It may be simple, but it took me a while to find it on the web. Now I’m gonna go make some, The filling possibilities, endless.