Retirement
comments

How Big Is Your 401K Balance?

It’s not really bragging when you talk about the value of your 401K because no one really truly cares how much money you’ve saved away and can tap into forty years down the road. While it does say something about the person saving, it’s not really all that bad if you’ve only put the minimum matching amount into your 401K because anything more is merely gravy. In fact, some would say that having too big of a 401K balance would be bad because you’re emphasizing the future and not the present. Anyway, if you’re a blogger and recently wrote a 401K balance related post (include how long you’ve been contributing), let me know (email is best) and I’ll post you with the crew I’ve found below (link in name is to the post I found the information on):

• Mapgirl: $20k+, 2 years
  • Nick: $20k, 1.5 years
  • Mike: $6k, ~1.5 years
  • Tired of working: $1.1M, 25 years
  • andyaluba: $9.3K, 9 months
  • Tim: $26k, 1 year
  • Shadox: $38k, 2 years

(I’m not going to update this anymore, it’s getting to be a bit of a bear, but feel free to leave your values in the comments… sorry folks!)

51 Responses to “How Big Is Your 401K Balance?”

1. mapgirl says:

oh oh. you should include English Major. She just broke the $10K mark. She said so in her comment on my post.

2. broknowrchlatr says:

$31,191.22 over 3.5 years at current employer. I rolled over previous emplores to IRS totalling $59k

3. burn says:

I’m not a blogger, but mine is ate $8k in 1 year (my first year out of college). I also set up a Roth IRA this year and put in the maximum contribution of $4k without cutting down on my monthly 401k contribution.

4. dong says:

210k over 7 years. Company match and a good stock market can do wonders. The 1st 2 years at my 1st 401k employer, I actually contributed closes to 12k and ended up with 6k at the end of it. But it’s been a nice climb over the last 5.

5. Punny Money says:

$20k in 18 months contributing only up to the company match, thanks mostly to the company stock soaring about 50% in one year.

• Chris says:

Punny, you should be careful not to include too much of your 401k in your company’s stock – it’s like putting all your eggs in one basket. If you lose your job & your company goes downill – you lose twice.

6. anon e. mouse says:

Over the last 9 years:
    my contributions have grown to $130K
    employer contributions have grown to $70K

my wife’s contributions have grown to $136K
    employer contributions for her have grown to $90K

7. Mike says:

$6k, 16 months, lol.

8. Mike says:

I should add though, both wife and I just out of college with a kid and only 1 income!

9. Tired of working says:

$1.1M, over 25 years.

10. shaz says:

im so small at only $1.4

11. andyaluba says:

9 months, 9.3K (just out of school)

12. Tim says:

$26k 1yr me
    $26k 1yr spouse

13. Shadox says:

$38K – 24 months.

14. Weekly Roundup – 06/01/07

Another week, another weekly roundup… But before we jump into the links, I just wanted to let you a heads up about something… In case you haven’t noticed, FiveCentNickel has been loading somewhat slowly recently. This is primarily due…

15. MrSmith says:

NetworthIQ.com has probably hundreds of people submitting their 401K info within the “retirement” category of assets. While they do not split out 401k (as opposed to 403b, Roth IRA, IRA, Roth 401K, other pension) they do provide the age range of the users of NetworthIQ.com

…and what I think may be the coolest part:There’s also people who enter their data from other countries. (so I suppose one day someone can do the research and determine which country saves the most towards their retirement)

$289k 8y (others in other forms of retirement assets)

16. Scott says:

Mike, you should be proud. You obviously have some good discipline. Most people I know in a similar personal situation (and even a couple years more removed from college) haven’t saved a dime (they don’t even take the company match – gasp!).

17. Marc says:

I love my 401k and do everything possible to max out…. I’m at
    $258K in 10years, age 38y.

18. I’m at 71K with about 8 years in the working world – 2 of which I was unemployed for.

19. I’ve never revealed any numbers before but this sure is interesting! Here are mine:

$50K in 3 years.

20. zen says:

Okay I see numbers and years – what about ages and salaries?

Someone having 30k in two years when they are 24 and making 30k a year is much more impressive than a 40 year old making half a mill.

21. db says:

Rebuilding my 401(k) from $0 after the layoff:

$26K in 4 years. Building slow, my money’s been going to debt repayment.

22. savvy says:

link

106k, just celebrated 6 years last week.

Unfortunately, my employer puts a limit on what we can contribute that is way less than the federal max.

23. Itwillcome says:

49200 approx 5 1/2 yrs

24. J.D. says:

I don’t have a 401k. My family owns a small family business and our retirement program is a profit-sharing plan (that I don’t wholly understand). Employees make no contributions. Instead, we decide as officers to contribute between 0% and 15% of each employee’s salary every year (all percentages must be the same for every employee each year). Usually, we choose 10%, though I always lobby for 15%.

Last year we considered moving to a 401k so that employees could make contributions, but I was the only one in favor of it. My brother didn’t want it because he wants the cash *now*. My cousin didn’t want it because he doesn’t expect to live long enough to take advantage of it. They argued that the employees wouldn’t want it either. So: no 401k.

In the 11-1/2 years since we started our non-401k retirement plan, my balance has grown to $79,623.26. That’s not very much.

25. pronto says:

I have $223k after 12 years with current employer, wife has $170k after 11 years with current employer. Also have another $30k in IRA.