Personal Finance
comments

How Do You Count Cash?

Grab a few dollars out of your wallet and start counting them. Pay close attention to how you counted them because it may be a good indication of where you are from! People from different areas of the world count money differently. Many of the “methods” are similar but each has its own distinct style.

I definitely count money the way they say Americans and my parents and relatives, who are from Taiwan, count money the way they say. Check out this video:

I thought it would’ve been funny to end the video with a clip of how Americans really count money… with a stack of credit cards.

15 Responses to “How Do You Count Cash?”

1. cubiclegeoff says:

I wonder if some of this has to do with the characteristics of the bills (stiff or flimsy), and maybe security concerns.

2. Kathy says:

oh the money counting was soooo true… thanks for the info…

3. Kevin says:

Funny, I totally fit the bill for an American…What are those folks from Poland doing? Crazy.

4. Travis says:

This is something I never really gave much thought to but it is pretty interesting. Like cubiclegeoff said, I wonder if these methods develop based on the the characteristics of currency used in the given regions.

5. Anonymous says:

That’s really random!

6. I definitely follow the American way; which, I think is the best way to avoid passing 2 bills at one time.

7. eric says:

I’ve seen a similar video to this and I was fascinated with it all the same. Something you definitely don’t think about. I’ve been to a few different Asian countries and I had a blast looking at them count my money. :P

8. It’s been such a long time since I counted money since I tend to only use debit and credit cards. That is pretty slick how fast the person is counting the cash.

9. aua868s says:

i am sure thats not the way most count in India

10. Safeway_Sage says:

I can’t believe that the ‘Stans’ count money like that. It looks like a four year-old counting monopoly money.

My mother was a banker for many years and when I would watch her count money she looked the the East Asian manner of counting, but 20 times faster. It always blew me away watching her count money. So fast! :)

11. cdiver says:

Very interesting. I guess I count as I should.

12. billsnider says:

I checked with several friends and coworkers who are different nationalites and they said this is true. One operson showed me another way.

Neat.

Bill Snider

13. Shahid says:

Pakistan is very similar to India, so the clip showing Pakistan is not accurate at all.

Another reason for the variance of counting style is due to the fact that some countries have a different size of bill for the different denominations in their circulation.

14. zapeta says:

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

15. That’s funny…it never even dawned on me that there would be so many different techniques. I too use the correct style apparently.