Cars
comments

How Long Is Your Commute?

Mine is about 15 minutes and it’s great, enough on ramps and lane changes to make it interesting, but not too long that I start getting bored or dread the drive to work or home. But this guy commutes 186 miles, about three and a half hours each way, between his home in Mariposa, CA to his job at Cisco in San Jose. Unbelievable. (I bet you at least one person brags that their commute is 5 seconds, the walk from the bedroom to their home office!)

And with gas tipping the scales at over $3, here are some tips for conserving a little extra gas.

36 Responses to “How Long Is Your Commute?”

1. Weekly Roundup – 04/17/06

Here are this week’s highlights from the MoneyBlogNetwork and beyond…

JLP of AllFinancialMatters hates the way that credit card companies charge interest. It seems that one last interest charge posted to his account, delaying (ever so sli…

2. Dave says:

I travel about 40 mins in a morning and about 35 on way back (traffic is less). I have been considering setting off earlier and arriving at work earlier so my journey is quicker and I save on petrol.

I hope that guy who drives 186 miles gets paid a lot! :o /

3. Kev says:

Ha! I do over 700 miles each way (Louisville, KY to Salisbury, MD). Usually takes about 5 hours by air. I’m a pilot so luckily I fly for free and I only have to do the commute 1 to 2 times a week. It still really sucks.

4. Barry says:

I live in rural Arkansas and I have to commute 35 miles to Ft. Smith every day for school and work. Takes me 45-60 minutes one way. I dont have a choice now, but as soon as I do, I’m moving into town and I will never have a long commute again in my life.

5. Josh says:

I do ~85 each way (170mi round trip) from the east bay to Cupertino, where I work at Apple. I leave at 4:30am get there by 5:45am. work until 2:30 or so and get back home by 4:15pm. Its not bad and the pay is good. My car gets a beating ( but hey its an excuse to get a new car ever 300k miles…i…i mean 3-5 years…)

6. Taro says:

Hi all, I’m japanese and I’m living in japan. Sorry I’m not English well. My commuter time is about each 3 hours between my home town’s train station and working company’s bus station. thus I’m always using about 6 hours rounds trip everyday.
    my home town is Odawara-city, Kanagawa-pref. and my company town is
    Kodaira-city, at Tokyo. First of all, I always ride on a train of Odakyu-line from Odawara station(5:38am). and I transfer to Nanbu-line at Noborito station at Kawasaki-city(7:16am). next, I transfer to Musashino-line at Fuchu-honmachi station(7:39am). Finally, I ride on a bus between Shin-kodaira station(7:50am) and near the company’s bus station(8:30am). Actually, I’m really hard both physical and mental. ‘Cause very tired everyday. Recently, I get a reservation business hotel near the compnay every now and then. But I’d like to go back home after work.
    Is there the american person who is long commuter time rather then me?

7. Christine says:

my commute to- to my high school (bronx science)
    is an hour and 20 minutes from manhattan to the northwest bronx! but my friends in queens travel over two hours on three different trains!

8. Anonymous says:

I am deciding whether or not an hour or 48 miles a day each way is to much to drive to my job. what do you guys think

9. Anonymous says:

I have about a 5 minute commute, which is actually too short; need a little more time to unwind from work before getting home. (I used to have a 75 minute commute, which wasn’t that bad, once it becomes routine – of, corse, I never was stuck in traffic)

10. Andrew says:

I am considering going from a 35 min. (one way) commute to a 90 min. (one way) commute. The trade off is $10k more for the 90 min. When I factor in tolls, gas and parking, however the decision doesn’t seem so clear cut. I guess I’ll have to see what other benefits there are to making the change.

11. ymika says:

My commute is 50 miles (around 1 hour) each-way. I get paid around 150k per year. I sometimes think of giving up the money, but, I’m not ready yet. So, got to deal with this commute until I find, or better yet, something better falls onto my lap.