Personal Finance
comments

How to Cut Your Gasoline Bill by 20%!

I have a fantastically cheap and proven technique for you to cut your gasoline consumption and bill by 20%. That’s right folks, step right up and hear about how you can cut that bill one one-fifth! It sounds unbelievable but it doesn’t involve buying any gadget that you attach to your car or an additive that you’ll need to put into the fuel, it’s a time tested technique that I can guarantee will cut your gasoline bill by nearly 20%. You won’t even have to buy anything from some late night infomercial… do you know what I’m talking about? I’m talking about carpooling.

Before you run for the door or click to another site, consider this – if you carpool to work just one day a week, you can cut your gasoline consumption by one-fifth. On the day that you’re driving, you’ll probably use up a little more gasoline than your normal commute because you’ll need to pick someone up and the amount of weight your car is carrying has increased, but that’s in the noise… you’re saving tangible money here!

The point is that you don’t need to carpool every. single. day. Just one single solitary day of minor inconvenience. For me, I have class on Monday and Thursday night which means either my prospective carpool compatriots will need to conform to my schedule or I drive myself those days. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are wide open. I could easily carpool on those days as my schedule is more flexible. What about people who need to pick up kids after school around 2 or 3 pm? They just need to find other people at their office that can leave around 2 or 3 pm, or they work out their schedules in other ways. Ultimately, it’s about how much hassle are you willing to take on in order to save money on gas (you can calculate your savings if you know how much each mile costs to drive).

If you find several people at work who are willing to carpool, you leverage your one drive into multiple trips. You pick up two other people and now you’re talking about cutting your bill by 40%. Pick up three, now maybe you’re talking 60% of your gas bill erased in one fell swoop. But for now, try it just one day. One day a week or one day every other week, see how it integrates with your schedule and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Carpool just one day. Just one.

9 Responses to “How to Cut Your Gasoline Bill by 20%!”

1. Frugal Dad says:

Great idea! Many times people are scared away from conservation tactics because they think it requires truckloads of effort, when in fact something like this is extremely simple.

2. Darin H says:

Last year my wife got a new boss at work (manufacturing mill about 25 miles from where we live) and she moved to the same town as us (about 3 towns to choose from surrounding the mill area). Her boss needed foot surgery and couldn’t drive for 3 weeks and my wife was happy to help out. After that, her boss offered to drive for 3 weeks to pay her back for the time and money. They liked it so much they decided to continue it. So my wife and her started carpooling, and every other week no driving! It saves us about 70-80 dollars a month in gas. We noticed quite a difference in our budget.

3. savingadvice says:

I think rotating weeks like that is a really great idea because then there is even less confusion on trying to remember who drives what day of the week etc. Great article just one day a week would make a difference.

4. Carpooling doesn’t work for my job (delivering pizzas on the weekend) but I can add a couple more suggestions:

1. Drive the speed limit or under.
    2. “Coast” to red lights instead of keeping your foot on the accelerator up to the point you start braking. Also, coast downhill.
    3. Keep up on maintenance like regular oil changes, regular changing of the fuel and air filters, keeping tires at proper inflation, and regular tune-ups.

My eight year old car still gets the same gas mileage as it did when I first bought it :)

5. Good idea. Do you want even better saving? Ride a bike instead of driving a car. You’ll save more than 50% and will help for cleaner air

6. Stephen Meyers says:

Actually since everyone drive on the weekends by carpooling you will save 15 %. 1 day out of 7.

7. Robin says:

Unfortunately this is a great idea but is almost impossible in a large city where everyone (nearly) has a big commute like Dallas. I drive 30 miles one way to work.. and work a different shift than the people that live near me.

8. Brian says:

One of the best carpool sites on the internet is RideSearch. Basically you go to RideSearch.com, sign up and put in your profile information. Then it searches for people who live near where you live and work near where you work. This helps people carpool who wouldn’t normally do it. With the price of gas the way it is everyone should go to RideSearch.com.

9. Pat says:

Ignoring the effects of weekend driving, you save 10% of gas by carpooling 1 day a week, not 20%. In two week period: drive alone 8 days, drive carpool 1 day, ride 1day. So save 1 day’s gas out of 10, or 10% on gas.

Only save 20% if you can get “other person” to do all the carpool driving.