Frugal Living
comments

How To Get 5% Cash Back At Home Depot

Waiting in the checkout line of my local Giant, I saw that they were heavily pushing gift cards including Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, and some local restaurants like a Bennigan’s. For those of you wanting to get the most cash back for your buck, get a 5% cashback at supermarkets credit card, buy a giftcard to a place you were already going to spend money, and use that instead of usual 1% cashback card. Instant 5% cashback.

I wouldn’t go to the grocery store specifically to get a Home Depot $50 gift card but if I happened to go there before a trip to HD, you’ll make a lot of those when you buy a house, then I might pick it up. (not worth the effort to make an extra trip…)

Any think of a reason why this wouldn’t work?

7 Responses to “How To Get 5% Cash Back At Home Depot”

1. Kim says:

I bought several Christmas gifts at my local Safeway at 5% cashback, including Home Depot and also Bass Pro Shops.

Citibank apparently has no way to distinguish what you buy. I get 5% cashback on my ski passes and bus passes because the supermarkets sell them at the customer service counter.

I also love using the Citi Dividend card at Super Target, because I can purchase anything there, including liquor (my Super Target has a liquor license!), and Citi recognizes it as a “supermarket.”

2. jim says:

Oooh I bet Safeway would have a lot more gift card merchants and other services too… the one of the things I miss about living in NY was being able to pick up beer from the local supermarket.

3. Mandy says:

On the last day of work before my Christmas holiday, I was in a pinch to get some presents for coworkers, so I went to the local Vons store to buy some giftcards for them, and when I brought out my Chase Rewards Visa to pay for them, was told I could only pay by cash or ATM card…

4. FMF says:

Why don’t you try it and let us know if it works? ;-)

5. BC says:

Don’t forget picking up stamps as well. You can do that in CT anyway.

6. Jonathan says:

I do this all the time. It works great. Safeway offers a great variety of gift certificates, from Starbucks to Blockbuster to Cell-phone recharge cards.

7. Jonathan says:

I would literally jump for joy if a SuperTarget opened up near my house. They could build condos on top and I’d buy one. ;)