Taxes
comments

How to Get Old W-2 and 1040 Tax Forms

If you ever need a copy of old 1040 tax forms, there are a few options for you to pursue.

Transcript or Full Return?

Depending on what you need the return for, you can sometimes get away with providing only a transcript. A transcript is just a listing of all the line items from your tax return and won’t include copies of your W-2, 1099s, or other documents filed. These usually satisfy the needs of most requests, such as a bank, and are provided free of charge from the IRS via Form 4506-T: Request for Transcript of Tax Return or by calling 1-800-829-1040 to place your order.

If you need the whole thing, there are two options.

Tax Preparer

If you used a tax preparer, such as H&R Block, you should call them first. They usually will keep copies of your tax returns on record for a few years and can provide a copy for you. They may or may not charge a fee but it’s often the quickest way you get a copy of your return.

IRS

If the preparer doesn’t have a copy or you didn’t use one, you can submit a request directly to the IRS on Form 4506: Request for Copy of Tax Return for $39 a piece, paid with the form, and up to 60 days.

10 Responses to “How to Get Old W-2 and 1040 Tax Forms”

1. Tori says:

Thanks! I saw some dip$h*t lawyer’s site where he was trying to chargefor this information.

2. TONIE L BAILEY says:

I NEED A COPY OF MY RETURNS 1040A 2008. I DID NOT MAKE A COPY. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET A COPY FOR MY DAUGHTER SHE IS ENROLLING IN COLLEGE AND NEEDS A COPY

3. TONIE L BAILEY says:

MY DAUGHTER IS TRYING TO ENROLL IN COLLEGE AND SHE HAS NOT LIVED WITH ME IN 3 YEARS BUT SHE SAID SHE NEEDS MY TAX RETURNS WHY? SHE HAS BEEN TAKING CARE OF HERSELF FOR 3 YEARS

• KA says:

Whether or not she’s lived with you, the school uses your tax information to determine how much financial aid she can get. Even if you will not be helping her at all financially, the school is going to determine an EFC (estimated family contribution) based on your income, which is then deducted from the overall cost of tuition. The difference is what she will likely be eligible for in financial aid (i.e. student loans).

4. erica says:

I need to get a 1040 form from 2007. I did not file taxes that year because I only worked a little bit. I have no idea how to get it. Do I fill out the form from the IRS to just get that one 1040? Does my employer have it or would they be able to get it? Please any info would really help.

5. Ken says:

Just go to the IRS website and look for Forms. It may take a bit of probing, but you’ll probably find it. If not, there’s a place to ask them.

6. Audrey Simmonds says:

Some discrepancy has been found by the social security office on my 2004 income tax return. I need a copy of my 2004 filing as I find I do not have one at home. Where do I go to get this and how much time does it take? I am due back at the SS office in a week.

7. Steve Modifer says:

What is the difference between a transcript of the tax return and a copy of the return?

8. kozmo says:

subcontractor, have a couple of years didn’t file, how can i find out what was claimed against my ss#, some of the contractors never did send a 1099 but i am pretty sure they hit me