Editor’s Note: I met one of the guys behind GymJunkies.com out at a conference earlier this year. I thought it would be great if they were able to put together a guest post where they explained how you could get a good workout without spending much, or any, money at all. Here’s a guest post on how you can get in shape without the help, or membership costs, of a gym.
I’m fond of saying “getting in shape is simple, but simple doesn’t always mean easy”…
While most trainers and diet pill companies are promising you an overnight fix or a magic bullet, I prescribe a different medication – short, but intense workouts coupled with a straightforward nutrition plan (none of that calorie counting bullshit). You’ll start to see results in seven days. By the end of 31 days, family members might not even recognize you
How to Get in Shape Without a Gym
Globo-gyms across the world have lulled us into believing we need their fancy machines and treadmills to get in shape. Most of us end up spending the $49 per month membership fee only to never step foot in the gym. So I’m proposing an easier home and outdoor solution anyone can use to get a great workout.
These workouts are all designed to jack your heart rate through the roof. This accomplishes two things – it increases the amount of calories you burn while you’re working out and your body continues to burn calories the next 18-48 hours after your workout. This is something long slow runs on the treadmill and elliptical machines just don’t do.
How to Workout Outdoors
If you love the outdoors, or just need to get out of the office more often, outdoor workouts will really amp you up.
Here’s an intense workout you can do in the park:
- Bodyweight Squat – Do as many squats as possible in 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat this cycle for 2 minutes.
- Find a tree or pull up bar and do a pull up ladder. This means you do 1 pull up in the first minute, 2 pullups in the 2nd minute, 3 pullups in the 3rd minute and so on. See how many minutes you can go on for. If you can get in the 8-9 minute range you’re in pretty good shape.
- Picnic Table Jumps – Find a picnic table at your park and jump onto it as many times as you can in 20 seconds – take a 10 second rest after each 20 seconds and repeat this for 2 minutes. If you can’t jump onto the picnic table, try making it easier by jumping on to the seat part. Or just find a wooden stump or bench that you can jump on to.
- Push Ups / Plank Superset – Crank out as many pushups as you can in 30 seconds and then follow that by doing a regular plank for as long as you can. Do 3 sets of these.
- Do 100 burpees for time. Bring your stopwatch or your cellphone and time how long it takes you to complete 100 burpees. If you are out of shape, start with 30 burpees. Return 2-3 weeks later and try the workout again, you’ll see that your time will have improved (if you have been keeping up with your workouts).
- You can probably complete the 100 burpees in under 20 minutes. It’ll make you wonder why you thought your 20 minute treadmill run was hard
How to Make Your Own Equipment
Remember in Rocky IV when Rocky trains for a fight against Ivan Drago by running in the snow, pulling a sled, sawing a log, moving rocks, and doing pullups in the barn? (if you forget, here’s a video montage to remind you of American ingenuity) Well, you can use that same creativity to supplement your workout.
If you want to throw some equipment into the mix, I highly recommend making your own. You can make a sandbag for under $20, and you’ll be able to do every worthwhile exercise known to man.
Plus this “underground” style training is a lot of fun and just flat out makes you feel manly.
Here’s a workout I did with some home equipment. This will give you some ideas…
What You Need To Do Now
Whether you have open space to workout in, or you are cramped up in your tiny one bedrooom apartment, there’s NO EXCUSE for not getting in shape. I just gave you three workouts that can be done in under twenty minutes at your park.
Getting in shape doesn’t have to be fifty minutes of boring cardio. Try something new, and keep your budget inline while doing it!please add your thoughts now! }