Personal Finance 

How To Replaced Damaged or Mutilated Money

Email  Print Print  

What do you do when a dog has eaten your money? Well, you wait until it comes out, then you soak it, wash it, rinse it, and repeat a lot. Ewww…

But what if it’s been damaged or mutilated to the point where you can no longer use it? That’s when you call in the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to get a replacement.

If you have more than 50% of the bill, just mail it “Registered Mail, Return Receipt Requested” (or personally deliver it) to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing along with a letter explaining the estimated value of the bill and how it got that way. If you have less than 50%, do the same but you better do a much better job with the letter as they have to believe that the rest of the bill has been destroyed.

If the damaged money are bills, send it to:

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Office of Currency Standards
P. O. Box 37048
Washington, D. C. 20013

If they are coins, send it to:

U. S. Mint
Post Office Box 400
Philadelphia, PA. 19105

If they aren’t damaged or mutilated and they’re just dirty, defaced, worn out, or a little torn, then bring them back to your bank for a replacement. This only applies if you can definitely tell what the value of it is and it’s clearly more than 50%, though the site doesn’t really tell you what “clearly more” really is. If it’s a little corner tear, that’s probably clearly more.

{ 8 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

8 Responses to “How To Replaced Damaged or Mutilated Money”

  1. Jason P. says:

    I used to work at a bank and would do this for our customers. They could just bring in the >/=50% currency and we would exchange it. Then we would take care of sending the mutilated currency in and getting new ones back. Check to see if your bank will do that for you, makes it much more convenient.

  2. mbhunter says:

    I had heard that if you have more than 60% of the bill, you can exchange it for a new bill. If you have between 40% and 60% of the bill, you can exchange it for half its value.

    Will they give you a break if you have 59% of the bill? Probably. They’re printing them so fast they have a few to spare. 😉

  3. CK says:

    Do they mail you the bill back?

  4. baruch says:

    I have a friend whose kinfolks had buried some paper money, not a lot, probably in the range of $600.00 to $900.00. It had been bundled together with a rubber band around it so that it was compressed fairly tightly. It looked as though it had been in a plastic bag of some sort and by the looks of it, it had gotten very wet and muddy at one point. It is now dried out and stiff but not all to pieces. Can my friend and I put the dirty dried bills in a wire basket or strainer and place it above a slow column of steam and very gently with much patience separate the bills one at a time let them dry again individually? If you have a better idea or another method please let me know. Thanking you in advance.

  5. viviana says:

    when i send the money to the department of the tresury bureau of engraving & printing office of currency standards will they send my new money or a check?

  6. John Hall says:

    All of the questions on here are answered by this official government site which includes VIDEO of the process from MSNBC!
    This page has a video… its more direct but the same site as linked in the article!

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.