Personal Finance
2,679
comments

How To Win McDonald’s Monopoly Game

McDonalds Monopoly Game PieceThis post covers the 2011 edition of the McDonald’s Monopoly game. For 2012, click here.

The McDonald’s Monopoly game will be kicking off its 2011 edition early this year, starting on September 20th (last year the game started in October). This year they adjusted the prizes, keeping many of the dollar prizes but adding a few more contests and upping the number of giveaway cars. As there has been since the dawn of time, the million dollar prize remains the belle of the ball but she’ll some competition from several inclusive vacations to Beaches Resorts, the McDonald’s High School All-American game, and even a trip to London for the 2012 Olympic Games.

The game itself has remained the same. The goal of the game is to collect game pieces you can find on specially marked food products. Those game pieces will come in pairs where you’ll win either instantly or get a property that you need to match with others. Collect all the property from a colored monopoly and win that prize. In each set of properties, there will be a rare piece that basically wins you the prize. Get that rare piece and the prize is basically yours.

The online $10,000 CASHstakes will start on September 20th but the full game won’t begin until September 27th, 2011. Below, we’ll take a look at what you will need to learn in order to win the McDonald’s Monopoly game for 2011.

2011 Rare Game Pieces & Prizes

For 2011, there were some changes to the rarity, the number of prizes, and what the prizes were:

• Mediterranean Avenue ($50 prize, 10,000 prizes) – 1 in approx. 61,811
  • Vermont Avenue ($100 prize, 3000 prizes)- 1 in approx. 206,036
  • Virginia Avenue ($200 SpaWish® Gift Certificate, 250 prizes) – 1 in approx. 2,472,425
  • Tennessee Avenue (Beaches Resort Vacation, 300 prizes)- 1 in approx. 2,060,354
  • Kentucky Avenue ($50,000, 8 prizes) – 1 in approx. 77,263,275
  • Short Line Railroad (EA Sports Fan Trip, 8 prizes) – 1 in approx. 77,263,275
  • Ventnor Avenue ($100,000, 6 prizes) – 1 in approx. 103,017,700
  • Pennsylvania Avenue (SL MY 12 Nissan Leaf, 2 prizes) – 1 in approx. 309,053,100
  • Boardwalk ($1,000,000, 1 prize) – 1 in approx. 618,106,200

To give you a better of idea of relative rarity within a monopoly set, let’s take a look at the light blue pieces. Vermont is the rare piece with an approximate 1 in 206,036 chance of finding that tile. The other tiles, Oriental Avenue and Connecticut Avenue, are both 1 in 11. Winning that set will net you a hundred dollars.

In-Store Instant Win Prizes

What can you win by peeling off a label?

• Food prizes: Medium French Fries, Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Small Frappé or Smoothie, Regular McFlurry or Fruit ‘N Yogurt Parfait, any Breakfast sandwich (excluding McMuffin®)
  • Redbox 1 Night DVD Rental
  • Trip to the London 2012 Olympic Games for Four
  • $10,000 Cash
  • $25,000 Cash
  • EA SPORTS Lifetime of Games
  • MY 12 Nissan Z Coupe Touring Model

Online Instant Win Prizes

I really enjoy the online game, probably because it’s online and it’s a game. :) That said, there are plenty of prizes you can win just be putting your codes in at the right time. Whether you win a prize online depends on when you enter a valid code, not what the code says. According to the rules, these “winning times” are set ahead of time and the first user to throw the dice will win that prize. Here are the prizes:

• 30 My Coke Rewards Points – 3,500,000 prizes
  • EA SPORTS™ Video Game – 13,500
  • $1,000 Walmart Gift Card 40
  • Beaches Resorts Vacation – 36
  • $5,000 Cash – 7
  • $10,000 Cash – 1

How to Get McDonald’s Monopoly Game Pieces

To get pieces, you have two options – buy McDonald’s food or get them for free by sending in a self-addressed stamped envelope. Here are the food items that give you a game piece:

• Medium Fountain Drinks
  • Medium and Large Iced and Blended McCafé® beverages incl. Smoothies and Frappés (excludes large Iced Coffee and excludes McCafé® Shakes)
  • Hash Browns
  • Big Mac®
  • 10-piece Chicken McNuggets
  • Egg McMuffin (excludes Sausage McMuffin)
  • Oatmeal
  • Filet-O-Fish
  • 20-piece Chicken McNuggets – two game pieces
  • Large Fries – two game pieces

Cheapest game pieces: The Hash Browns remain the cheapest way to get game pieces if you’re going to buy them. In past years, people have been able to just buy the pieces without the food (so you aren’t compelled to eat or throw out a lot of hash browns).

How to Get Almost Free Game Pieces

Alternatively, you can get game pieces without purchase by sending a handwritten, self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
2011 MONOPOLY Game at McDonald’s Game Piece Request
P.O. Box 49180
Strongsville, OH 44149-0180

Not entirely free, it’ll cost you two envelopes and 88 cents worth of stamps… unless you live in Vermont. If you live in Vermont, you do not have to put return postage on the self-addressed envelope but it still needs to be handwritten (so 44 cents instead of 88).

If you don’t want to buy the food and don’t want to address a million envelopes, you can always “dumpster dive.” If you don’t want to hop into a dumpster, ask other people in the store if they want their game pieces. With so many people going to McDonald’s on a regular basis, it’s no surprise that plenty of pieces go unopened. Some people just don’t care and you can benefit from it.

Trading Game Pieces

Trading game pieces is expressly forbidden in the game rules with a few exceptions (usually for younger participants to transfer them to their parents) but vibrant property trading and selling communities, such as Fatwallet Forums, do exist. Every year the comments on this site and a post on Fatwallet become big deal making threads. Trade at your peril with the understanding that it’s against the rules.

Who Won Last Year?

The winner of the 2010 prize was Jonathan Kehoe from West Allis, Wisconsin, just west of Milwaukee. It’s a nice story of a man who’d been on unemployment and pulled the winning pieces off a medium soda. According to the story, he pulled Boardwalk and Park Place at the same time. The 2009 winner also pulled the game pieces off a drink (sweet tea). I wonder what food item this year’s winner will come from? (another drink?)

If you have a hankering for some legal mumbo jumbo, here are the full official rules. Good luck!

(Photo: sundazed)

{ 2,679 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

2,679 Responses to “How To Win McDonald’s Monopoly Game”

1. j.romero says:

It’s incredible how many people have boardwalk,I really would like to see one.if you have send me a picture to my e-mail at juanrom1@live.com

2. Jim says:

Seriously, did any of you read the “2011 Rare Game Pieces & Prizes” above? Boardwalk is a rare piece (meaning it’s HARD TO FIND). There’s only ONE Boardwalk piece (it’s the big prize, and they aren’t about to give out more than one). Park Place is an easy piece to find. If you DO have Boardwalk, go back to McDonald’s, buy a few more items, and get your Park Place so you can claim your million dollars. Sheesh. Stop being suckers, people.

• Jim says:

Note also that all of the other pieces not listed in Rare Game Pieces above are ALSO easy to get.

3. YOMcDs says:

Also, there are different rules for US and Canada… So, if you live in Canada you can’t play with US pieces…

4. Hannah says:

I have 2 park places, anyone with Boardwalk want to deal?
    Also I need Pennsylvania Ave. PLEASE EMAIL ME.
    I have many more pieces. Anyone want to trade? I live in California.
    bananaz1130@yahoo.com

• The Giver says:

I’ve the following numbers:

(1) #322 – Mediterranean Ave.

(3) #323 – Oriental Ave.
      (3) #325 – Conn. Ave.

(4) #326 – St. Charles Place
      (3) #327 – States Ave.

(8) #329 – St. James Place
      (1) #331 – New York Ave.

(3) #333 – Indiana Ave.
      (5) #334 – Illinois Ave.

(3) #335 – Atlantic Ave.
      (1) #337 – Marvin Gardens

(4) #338 – Pacific Ave.
      (2) #339 – North Carolina Ave.

(4) #341 – Park Place

(4) #343 –Reading Railroad
      (1) #344 – Pennsylvania Railroad
      (2) #345 – Short Line Railroad
      Let’s make a deal, send me an e-mail if you are serious: pittmon_kl@yahoo.com

5. Wil says:

Mark: I have 2 Park Place. I will send them to you for the price of a stamp.

6. Aldo says:

Ok so I have every piece on the whole map even lots of doubles and extras, except the rare 9 piece that are always hard to find, so if you have any of these rare ones listed below, email me ASAP and I’ll give you all you need. I’m not asking for much im very reasonable, and will work with what’s works with you. You can even get the better end of the deal, after all u got the rare piece. Let’s talk and work something out. AR11Rojas@Gmail.com or text or call 571-332-1558

Mediterranean Avenue (#321)
    Vermont Avenue (#324)
    Virginia Avenue (#328)
    Tennessee Avenue (#330)
    Kentucky Avenue (#332)
    Short Line (#346)
    Ventnor Avenue (#336)
    Pennsylvania Avenue (#340)
    Boardwalk (#342)

7. joselyn says:

Missing pieces 340 and 329. Does anyone have any of these two? If so email me.

8. headache says:

I have a headache from reading all these posts by fools. No one who has Boardwalk or any other rare piece is going to come on to this board and post so they can split $1M with some random person who has a Park Place piece.

I guess P T Barnum was right.

9. Ooppsss says:

I had a Nizzan Touring game piece I think I threw it away

10. steve says:

I need 332 willing to split it 50/50 emails steven10566@gmail.com

11. amy says:

i agree no one would split if they had the rare piece its so easy to get the others

12. g says:

pm  ·  Like MrsJosie Pavon I have 339,338 Nissan eaf Park place 341 Beach resort 329 St.Charles 326 Connecticut ave 325 Ea sprts 343, 345 Baltic ave – 322 All i need s 332,333 thank-you

13. Justin says:

I have a duplicate of every piece except the winning pieces. Seriously give a boardwalk already McDonalds lol

14. Justin says:

I just want to win 1,000,000 so I can buy out the rest of my Wife’s military contract so she can come home :( she has been gone about 8 months now and still has 4-6 months. Won’t give up though :)

15. SweetEnding says:

I need kentucky!!! who wants to deal?

16. Amanda says:

I need the last red player piece called kentucky to win the money.
    anyone have that?
    email me please!
    i am having a hard time with college and i need the money :(
    any trades?

17. Dhemz says:

I am willing to trade or split the prize. I have extra pieces:
    #345
    #329

I need:
    #342
    #340
    #332
    #330
    #328
    #346

email me @ gregdemcy@gmail.com

thanks…:)

18. Anonymous says:

i have park place and i live in canada. if you have boardwalk email me at mosh951@yahoo.com.

19. Mosh says:

I have park place, if you have board walk and would like to split. email me at mosh951@yahoo.com

20. j.romero says:

I have 329 do you need it

21. Latoya says:

Does anyone have broadwalk or Kentucky Ave?????

22. newbslayer says:

Guy’s everyone has Park Place it is the easiest to get! iF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE RARE ONES YOU AUTOMATTICALLY WIN ! beacuse it so easy to get the other two in any set.

23. Chantal says:

Hi guys! I have a ton of these pieces but do not understand how to play. Anyone nice enough to explain to me how? Thanks :)

• Jromero says:

you just have to match the pieces on what it says on the monopoly paper game.like the yellow has three pieces with different names.Good luck.

24. Penguin777 says:

Hello if anyone can give me Ventor AVE or Kentucky! I am willing to give you the rest of my pieces and some of the money as well. If any one can help email me at kol_3050@hotmail.com please… The money would help alot.

25. g says:

I have 339,338 Nissan leaf Park place 341 Beach resort 329 St.Charles 326 Connecticut ave 325 Ea sprts 343, 345 Baltic ave – 322 All i need is 332,333 thank-you.