Personal Finance
2,679
comments

How To Win McDonald’s Monopoly Game

McDonalds Monopoly Game PieceThis post covers the 2011 edition of the McDonald’s Monopoly game. For 2012, click here.

The McDonald’s Monopoly game will be kicking off its 2011 edition early this year, starting on September 20th (last year the game started in October). This year they adjusted the prizes, keeping many of the dollar prizes but adding a few more contests and upping the number of giveaway cars. As there has been since the dawn of time, the million dollar prize remains the belle of the ball but she’ll some competition from several inclusive vacations to Beaches Resorts, the McDonald’s High School All-American game, and even a trip to London for the 2012 Olympic Games.

The game itself has remained the same. The goal of the game is to collect game pieces you can find on specially marked food products. Those game pieces will come in pairs where you’ll win either instantly or get a property that you need to match with others. Collect all the property from a colored monopoly and win that prize. In each set of properties, there will be a rare piece that basically wins you the prize. Get that rare piece and the prize is basically yours.

The online $10,000 CASHstakes will start on September 20th but the full game won’t begin until September 27th, 2011. Below, we’ll take a look at what you will need to learn in order to win the McDonald’s Monopoly game for 2011.

2011 Rare Game Pieces & Prizes

For 2011, there were some changes to the rarity, the number of prizes, and what the prizes were:

• Mediterranean Avenue ($50 prize, 10,000 prizes) – 1 in approx. 61,811
  • Vermont Avenue ($100 prize, 3000 prizes)- 1 in approx. 206,036
  • Virginia Avenue ($200 SpaWish® Gift Certificate, 250 prizes) – 1 in approx. 2,472,425
  • Tennessee Avenue (Beaches Resort Vacation, 300 prizes)- 1 in approx. 2,060,354
  • Kentucky Avenue ($50,000, 8 prizes) – 1 in approx. 77,263,275
  • Short Line Railroad (EA Sports Fan Trip, 8 prizes) – 1 in approx. 77,263,275
  • Ventnor Avenue ($100,000, 6 prizes) – 1 in approx. 103,017,700
  • Pennsylvania Avenue (SL MY 12 Nissan Leaf, 2 prizes) – 1 in approx. 309,053,100
  • Boardwalk ($1,000,000, 1 prize) – 1 in approx. 618,106,200

To give you a better of idea of relative rarity within a monopoly set, let’s take a look at the light blue pieces. Vermont is the rare piece with an approximate 1 in 206,036 chance of finding that tile. The other tiles, Oriental Avenue and Connecticut Avenue, are both 1 in 11. Winning that set will net you a hundred dollars.

In-Store Instant Win Prizes

What can you win by peeling off a label?

• Food prizes: Medium French Fries, Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Small Frappé or Smoothie, Regular McFlurry or Fruit ‘N Yogurt Parfait, any Breakfast sandwich (excluding McMuffin®)
  • Redbox 1 Night DVD Rental
  • Trip to the London 2012 Olympic Games for Four
  • $10,000 Cash
  • $25,000 Cash
  • EA SPORTS Lifetime of Games
  • MY 12 Nissan Z Coupe Touring Model

Online Instant Win Prizes

I really enjoy the online game, probably because it’s online and it’s a game. :) That said, there are plenty of prizes you can win just be putting your codes in at the right time. Whether you win a prize online depends on when you enter a valid code, not what the code says. According to the rules, these “winning times” are set ahead of time and the first user to throw the dice will win that prize. Here are the prizes:

• 30 My Coke Rewards Points – 3,500,000 prizes
  • EA SPORTS™ Video Game – 13,500
  • $1,000 Walmart Gift Card 40
  • Beaches Resorts Vacation – 36
  • $5,000 Cash – 7
  • $10,000 Cash – 1

How to Get McDonald’s Monopoly Game Pieces

To get pieces, you have two options – buy McDonald’s food or get them for free by sending in a self-addressed stamped envelope. Here are the food items that give you a game piece:

• Medium Fountain Drinks
  • Medium and Large Iced and Blended McCafé® beverages incl. Smoothies and Frappés (excludes large Iced Coffee and excludes McCafé® Shakes)
  • Hash Browns
  • Big Mac®
  • 10-piece Chicken McNuggets
  • Egg McMuffin (excludes Sausage McMuffin)
  • Oatmeal
  • Filet-O-Fish
  • 20-piece Chicken McNuggets – two game pieces
  • Large Fries – two game pieces

Cheapest game pieces: The Hash Browns remain the cheapest way to get game pieces if you’re going to buy them. In past years, people have been able to just buy the pieces without the food (so you aren’t compelled to eat or throw out a lot of hash browns).

How to Get Almost Free Game Pieces

Alternatively, you can get game pieces without purchase by sending a handwritten, self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
2011 MONOPOLY Game at McDonald’s Game Piece Request
P.O. Box 49180
Strongsville, OH 44149-0180

Not entirely free, it’ll cost you two envelopes and 88 cents worth of stamps… unless you live in Vermont. If you live in Vermont, you do not have to put return postage on the self-addressed envelope but it still needs to be handwritten (so 44 cents instead of 88).

If you don’t want to buy the food and don’t want to address a million envelopes, you can always “dumpster dive.” If you don’t want to hop into a dumpster, ask other people in the store if they want their game pieces. With so many people going to McDonald’s on a regular basis, it’s no surprise that plenty of pieces go unopened. Some people just don’t care and you can benefit from it.

Trading Game Pieces

Trading game pieces is expressly forbidden in the game rules with a few exceptions (usually for younger participants to transfer them to their parents) but vibrant property trading and selling communities, such as Fatwallet Forums, do exist. Every year the comments on this site and a post on Fatwallet become big deal making threads. Trade at your peril with the understanding that it’s against the rules.

Who Won Last Year?

The winner of the 2010 prize was Jonathan Kehoe from West Allis, Wisconsin, just west of Milwaukee. It’s a nice story of a man who’d been on unemployment and pulled the winning pieces off a medium soda. According to the story, he pulled Boardwalk and Park Place at the same time. The 2009 winner also pulled the game pieces off a drink (sweet tea). I wonder what food item this year’s winner will come from? (another drink?)

If you have a hankering for some legal mumbo jumbo, here are the full official rules. Good luck!

(Photo: sundazed)

{ 2,679 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

2,679 Responses to “How To Win McDonald’s Monopoly Game”

1. wow says:

Guys stop putting your numbers on here are you stupid??????????????? who would some one give you $1,000,000 dollars if they got the rare peice they are just messing with you.

2. Sam says:

Either you are all a bunch of trolls or you are just incredibly stupid. Do you seriously think people are going to “split” a prize with you when you are the one with the common pieces that literally you can get probably by spending $20 at McDonalds?

3. Lee says:

I NEED VENTNOR AVE (336)
    …KENTUCKY AVE(332)..

.. AND BOARDWALK(342)…
    IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO WE CAN DEAL.. TIME RUNNING OUT FOR THIS MONOPOLY… 9132065696 .. WEMFR816@YAHOO.COM

4. Morons says:

I have never seen a bigger group of idiots in my entire life. All you must have made mcdonalds a fortune with your obsession with fast cash. The people that think they can turn their park place into a half mil trip me out. Seriously? Do you think the non rare pieces are so hard to find. When you peeled off that park place, did your heart flutter? Did you feel half way home to being rich? LMAO. Morons! Oh btw, I have #s 321,324,328,330,332,346,336,340, and 342. I’m willing to partner up, who’s game?

5. max says:

trade with me i have park place

• RV ALL DAY says:

every one does lol

• TM says:

Check me out I HAVE: Two #325, Two #326, Two #327, Two #329, Two #334, Two #337, Two #338, Three #339, Two #344. IF YOU’D LIKE TO TRADE; Let me Know! (Email: kuppycake@ymail.com -770)334-7324) Willing to split! Lets win something I NEED: #323, 324, 328, 330, 331, 332, 333, 336, 340. IF its the CAR (NISSAN) to win- We can split it by selling the car -split the profit. SERIOUS inquiries ONLY.-CAKE

6. WEEE says:

i just so happen to need 324

7. OnTheRoadAgain says:

My family stopped at the McDonald’s in Burns Harbor, IN yesterday, the only ticket was attached to a small drink…I asked a manager about it and she said there are certain things you have to buy! So much for NO PURCHASE NECESSARY…

8. karim says:

i need 332 text me i have other 2 for 50k. ( 9144092872)

• person says:

lol i have 322… and 333 and 334… lol…. sry. thats lke in a hundred thousand. Its rare :P

• Monique C. says:

I have 334 and 333! Do u really have 332? I would give you a third. We would have to write up a legal contract of course!
        205-344-2525

9. JG says:

Good Afternoon,

I’m at Fort Riley, Kansas and I have 335 and 337. Let’s partner up for the $1000,000.00, SERIOUSLY CALL or TEXT me so we can meet up, at (785) 223-3700. The Monopoly offer expires 24 OCT 2011, I available all weekend CALL ME, I willing to SPLIT 50/50.

I also have 334 but I’m missing 332 and 333.

Text

10. Max says:

If any one has ventour avenue let me know I have Marvin and Atlantic avenues

11. drew says:

i have boardwalk who wants to trade

jk,jk the chances of winning that peice is 1 in 300 million
    hahahahahah

12. Tabitha says:

With yours and mine Blue Green Yellow and Pink are complete. Email me if you want to partner up.

13. alex says:

i have #341 338 339 337 335 334 333 329 331 326 327 323 325 344 343 345 322 if anyone has the missing pieces am willing to partner and my number is 609 330 6532

14. kyera says:

i have 329,331,325,333,339,338,327,326,343,337,325..text me if u wanna partner up..

15. RV ALL DAY says:

I have 336 and 342 but i dont have park place or Marvin Gardens :/

16. GIGI says:

I have two Park Places. Also, I’m also missing one Railroad Short line and Kentucky in the respect set. You can contant me at mmartin7956@yahoo.com. I dont have a problem with sharing. Half of something is better than nothing.

17. Mike says:

I need the following numbers and am willing to partner up and split 50/50….342,340,335,336,332,and 330. Contact me Mike 240-286-9803.

• The Giver says:

(3) #325

(4) #326
      (3) #327

(1) #322

(3) #335
      (1) #337

Are you still willing to share, if so e-mail me – pittmon_kl@yahoo.com

18. lilly says:

i need 332 and 333 i can trade 337 322 and 345 text me at 619 315 6955

19. Jimmybob says:

hi I have 343,344,345 i am willing to trade txt at 714-721-0542 all i really want is 336, 321,324,325 so let me know

20. Madie says:

I need “Reading Railroad” #346..if anyones willing to give it to me email me at nana_chaplin@yahoo.com thanks

21. Anonymous says:

I have ventor in the yellow set for the 100 grand. I have Illinois for the 50 grand. I have st charles place and states ave for the spa certificate. I wont win so I am willing to sell people what they want. If your interested post me an email address and we will talk.

22. teresa fitzwater says:

i need one on all propertys

23. Anonymous says:

Good Afternoon,

I also have 334 but I’m missing 332 and 333.

NEW UPDATE: I JUST GOT 333 off a Medium cup here in Junction City, KS. Call me ASAP if you have 332.

Text

24. JG says:

Good Afternoon,

I also have 334 but I’m missing 332 and 333.

NEW UPDATE: I JUST GOT 333 OFF A Medium sized cup, CONTACT ME ASAP IF YOU HAVE 332 AT 785-223-3700.

THANKS!!!
    Text

25. Vince says:

If you have any of the following #$ call me text me or email me 4843002200 ASAP!!

342, 336, 332, 340, 346, 330

I have all of the other pieces we just need these that i have listed above to win any of the mcdonalds prizes. We can make a bargain, i will fly out to you and i will give you a cash prize that we can discuss once we get in contact