General
comments

I Can’t Solve A Rubik’s Cube

Rubiks Cubes, Balls, etc.When I was younger, I remember fiddling around with Rubik’s Cubes and was reminded of that when Jason Kottke blogged about speedcubing with the Fridrich Method. I could never solve the Rubik’s Cube and my friends who knew one of the algorithms, of which there are more than fifty, used to brag about how they could solve it in such and such a time.

Well, none of them came close to the world record holder. Yu Makajima can solve a Rubik’s cube in 8.72 seconds when he has two hands:

The dude can solve it in 14.56 seconds when he has to do it one-handed:

The most amazing part is that there’s no rushing, no sense of panic as time elapses, just calm and collected twisting of the edges.

(Photo: farnea)

12 Responses to “I Can’t Solve A Rubik’s Cube”

1. I’m in the same boat as you.

All my friends can solve it but I can’t. They all got the answers from Google though.

2. Eric N. says:

A friend taught me how a few years ago and it was fun being able to memorize the steps and solve it. Of course I promptly forgot it in a week…

Yu Makijima is insane! Are there enough contests to make a living doing that? lol.

3. AJ Kumar says:

Wow…that’s amazing. I had a friend who was teaching it to me piece by piece. Its actually quite systematical. The pieces can be arranged in any order and almost the same movements would apply. He was able to do it in about 3 minutes. I however only completed it once…the highlight of my life..jK

4. Patrick says:

I never could figure it out either. ;)

5. Glenn Lasher says:

Well, it’s just a puzzle. I never could solve it either (unless you count “thinking outside the box” by disassembling and reassembling the thing). I don’t worry about it, though, because I can solve other kinds of problems.

6. philip says:

I had alot of free time during a semester of school. I actually started drawing out what each turn would do and tracking how it changed everything else to solve it. Basically I designed my own algorithm to solve it, most likely the same as what is available somewhere else.

It is fun to take one occaisionaly and solve it, lots of people are impressed by pure nerdiness! I usually finish in about 8 minutes if I have not done it in a while, but that is fast enough for me :)

7. LOL! I solved one once. Once. Never could figure it out again. Guess that’s what comes of being an English major. :-D

8. Leyan says:

Actually, the current world record is 7.08 seconds, set by Erik Akkersdijk on July 12th of this year at the Czech Open.

• jim says:

Wow you’re right… just over 7 seconds. I wish the video didn’t go sideways all the time, but good little interview at the end, very cute. :)

9. Oh man! I got a Rubik’s cube for Christmas from my boyfriend. Actually, I got a $1 fake one from target last month, so he bought me a “real” one because they move better. I can do it (with notes), now I’m just working on memorizing the algorithms. I love doing it!