Shopping
comments

I Got A Treo 755p with a Sprint SERO Plan

Sorry Cingular/AT&T/AT&T Wireless/whatever your name is now, but I’ve finally cut the cord with you guys after several years of service as my phone was finally dying and you all refused to give me a new phone (or even a discount off a phone). In fact, when I called, I was told that any change to my account would require me to 1) pay more because I was on a cheap legacy rate, and, 2) sign up for a new contract (in return for nothing). So instead of doing something stupid and unreasonable like that, I signed up for a Sprint SERO (Sprint Employee Referral Offer) plan thanks to some advice from my good friend and yours, Nickel.

What did I get? The fancy Treo 755p PDA smartphone through the SERO website, which set me back $249.99. Now, you can get it through Amazon for $69.99 after rebate but there’s a reason why I didn’t go that route.

Through the SERO plan, I was able to get 500 anytime minutes with unlimited text messaging and data for $30/mo. I also stacked on a coupon code URANG for a $50 statement credit. The base plan of 450 minutes a month through Amazon costs $39.99 a month plus you are required to get Power Vision Access Pack (at a minimum) for $15/mo. Over the course of a two year contract, the difference in monthly costs far exceeds the equipment cost. Oh yeah, that doesn’t include the activation fee through Amazon of $36.

Oh, to make things sweeter, Sprint wanted me to give them a call about my order and they were going to compensate me $25 in statement credits just for my time. The call was for me to verify some credit information and took about ten minutes.

If you’re looking to get a new phone, seriously check out the Sprint SERO site because it’s is crazy cheap. You can use savings@sprintemi.com to get access. Now we just await the new phone.

12 Responses to “I Got A Treo 755p with a Sprint SERO Plan”

1. Tony Marrone says:

This only works if you are a new customer or an existing SERO customer; existing Sprint customers cannot migrate their plan over to a SERO plan, unfortunately. I know this because my younger brother tried to move his family plan over to a SERO plan (net savings would have been about $1900/yr) and Sprint said, “absolutely not”. Still, it is a great deal if you can get it.

2. CK says:

If you are willing to jump through a few hoops you can drop Sprint and port your number to a prepaid with no contract for a month or 2 and then rejoin under the SERO program. Wahlah you are a new customer.

3. Lazy Man says:

I’ve been saying for nearly 3 years now that Sprint SERO is the best deal in cell phones. Unless you are traveling overseas often or use a cell phone very, very rarely, there’s nothing that comes close.

Just don’t get addicted to TreoCentral like I was from 2001-2005.

4. Frugal Dad says:

What a timely post…my two-year deal with Verizon is up in February and I’ll be in the market for a new phone (and possible a new carrier). Keep us posted on how you like the Treo 755p

5. Acero says:

I was fairly interested in this idea for a moment but when looking through the fine print I saw that the free, unlimited text messaging only ran though 12/31/2007. I’ll have to keep an eye out to see if they continue to offer it.

Is the data plan also unlimited? The fine print seems to point to 25 cents a message/image.

6. skadoo323 says:

I have had Sprint for over 6 years, but have had the SERO plan since last May and wow is the plan an amazing deal! Another tip that has worked for some is check to see if your employer gets a corporate discount through Sprint. Some companies have deals were employees get up to a certain percent off of their monthly bill. Usually you can call Sprint up, tell them your employer, they will verify some info(over the phone or may need to fax something), your account number my change and after a billing cycle or 2 everything is set. Not a bad deal at all.

7. MoneyNing says:

Wow $30 is a good deal. My fiancee and I have a family plan and our plan is $100!!

8. Patrick says:

I just got the same plan last week. I chose the Moto 9QC because I liked the slimmer profile. I can check Gmail anywhere I go now, and the best part is – the plan costs less than my previous plan and I have a lot more features. You can’t beat it anywhere! (I used Nickel’s guide as well. It’s full of great info!).

I didn’t have any luck getting the Sprint referral discounts #REF ($25 to you and the Sprint customer who referred you), but at $30/mo I’m really not concerned! Enjoy your new phone! :)

9. Miller says:

Acero, thats a good catch! However, if you go a couple more pages in, it mentions that free texting is included for new plans up to mid Feb. My reading of it is that all plans signed up for by then get free texting in the plan (as opposed to, you only get free texting until mid Feb.).

So no worries for you guys out there! Free texting appears to still be there!

10. Jimbolbgna says:

I signed up with SERO Tuesday 1/8/08. All looked well ordering online and I received the phone the next day. When I went online to verify the account I was displeased to see that I was not on the SERO plan, rather I wes bumped to the Sprint Basic 200. I have bounced around several groups for the past 4 hours, and finally I got to someone telling me that the email address I used was not valid. Apparently the commonly used email address savings@sprintemi.com is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this or know of another available account to use?

11. jim says:

Jimbolbgna: I used that email only a few days before you did and I got the SERO plan without a problem.

12. Ron Pogatchnik says:

Geez,

All of you do yourselves a favor and buy yourselves an unlocked phone on E-bay for pennies. When it poops out get another. NO COMITTMENT to the arrogant wireles phone companies. You can change anytime because you have no contract and they will be nicer to you!!!!!!!!!!!