Reviews, The Home
comments

I Hate U-Haul Truck Rental (And So Does Everyone Else)

U-Haul is, in my personal opinion, quite possibly one of the most poorly managed businesses still in business and the only way they get away with it is because they’re almost the only game in town. The U stands for Unreliable. Ask anyone if they’ve ever had or heard of someone having a bad experience with U-Haul and prepare yourself for an intricate story about how U-Haul screwed them This is exactly what happened to me this weekend. (I added to the title because everyone else hates U-Haul too!)

I was to help my girlfriend and her roommate move out of their apartment in New Jersey starting at 10am on Saturday. The night before, her roommate called and confirmed (the guy said they had the truck on site and she could pick it up at 10ish the next day) that the truck they reserved was ready for us tomorrow. She calls the next day right before she is supposed to leave – truck isn’t there. Truck was never there. In the general area, there were no one-way trucks available for rental because it was the end of the month and they were all booked (reserved! ha!). We didn’t get a truck until 7pm, didn’t depart until 11pm, and worked all through the night until 6am unpacking.

One year ago, when my roommate and I moved out of our apartment (and into another), we too ran into the same situation. The U-Haul site had decided, even with our reservation, to rent our truck out to a walk-in customer because they didn’t know if we would show up. We didn’t get a truck that day until 2pm. This year, we opted to use a minivan from a reputable rental agency.

U-Haul is unreliable and dishonest. While they’ll gladly take your cancellation fee, they won’t give you any money if they screw you and rent out a truck you need. Most of the time we’re talking about end of the month moves where you need to follow a strict schedule in order to check out of the apartment, complete the final walk-through, and get on your way. If we didn’t move, we would have to continue paying a rent because of U-Haul’s unreliability. Don’t call it a reservation if you don’t reserve anything.

My fellow bloggers who read this, write a post about how U-Haul has screwed you and trackback to this one. Non-bloggers, send this to a friend and have them comment and/or pass it along. Spread the word, like a virus, that U-Haul is a business that should go down the tubes.

If you need to move, use these alternatives (I haven’t used them but U-Haul has screwed me two out of two times, so I’d use any of these before U-Haul ever again):

• Budget/Ryder – Ryder was acquired by Budget, so try Budget for your moving needs.
  • Penske – I see their trucks all the time and the drivers are always smiling, so they can’t be all that bad.
  • Hertz – Word on the street is that Hertz rents trucks as well.
  • Public Storage – Storage companies typically will let you use their truck if you rent from them and with the smallest storage closets running about $30 a month, this is a great deal for in-town moves.

From the comments, it also sounds like even if you get a truck (the “lucky” ones), they aren’t reliable (surprise!) and could die on you.

U-Haul CEO’s Cell Phone Number

Courtesy of the Consumerist:

The CEO of Uhaul gave out his cellphone number last night on an episode of Inside Edition, inviting consumers to call with complaints or questions. Joe Shoen explained saying, “People can’t get this organization to behave, I can.” That number is 602-390-6525.

Let him have it!

802 Responses to “I Hate U-Haul Truck Rental (And So Does Everyone Else)”

1. The Judge says:

U-Haul in urban/bigger city locations is why “man-with-a-van” exists… but that said, actually I had one GOOD experience with U-Haul in Jersey City Rt. 1&9 last summer on a week night while moving things in their regular truck because the big box ones were all booked. Only problem wasn’t the reservation (online, hassle-free) the staff (friendly enough) or the cost (fair, no hassles or over billing) but the location itself was atrocious… It’s hard to access via a car but i can’t imagine a regular person trying to arrive by bike or on on foot (no sidewalks within immediate area, very dangerous to navigate local roundabout mess of traffic if you’ve never been there before or aren’t street savvy). It’s not super far from JSQ Path station 7 blocks or so up off Newark Ave. but most people using U-Haul don’t walk anywhere and don’t have a clue what getting there requires, so renter beware. Make sure the office is open, reconfirm your booking before you start the trip, take cab fair to get you there the easy way.

For other using U-Haul in more rural or suburban areas if you must use them, heed the warnings of others in your area-what the specific dealerships are like. If terrible, just pay a trusted guy with a truck to help you!…

When first renting, take a few quicks pics of the exterior of the truck-esp capturing any nicks/bumps/dings/dents in daylight hours or under good lighting to prove the condition of the truck as you received it to avoid any damage claim against you. Make sure the cell phone/camera timestamp setting is on as proof of date & time.

Also, as with any rented vehicle, GAS IT UP a little! don’t leave it empty. This is akin to using the milk then putting it back with a useless 5 drops left or two sheets of toilet paper left on the roll and not replacing it. Those crap trucks are gas hogs too, it’s easy to fly through a tank-just watch the level or deal with the fine later.

Btw, if you hate gas guzzling trucks email or call U-Haul and tell them to get with the freaking times and modernize- Go Green. They can get big business discounts for upgrading their fleet (in part or entirely) with energy/gas saving trucks. UPS did it long ago & it saved the company MILLIONS while also cutting back on exhaust damage. A win win. Get with the times U-Haul!!

2. Rachel says:

I rented a 17 foot truck, I drove 20 miles. It ate up 1/2 a tank of gas costing me a mile/gallon.never rent from these guys their equipment is so old it will eat you out of house and home.

3. Suzette says:

Uhual does not prorate your money back if you did not use their facility storage unit the entire month. I only used their storage for a week because my house wasn’t done in time to move in & usual won’t give me the rest of the $150.00 I paid for the storage facility in Jacksonville, NC, 425 S Marine Blvd.

• Keep on Truck'in says:

So what your saying is, that you beleive its the responsibilty of a storage facility to prorate aka refund part of the contracted month to month “Rental fee’s” Because someone entirely unconnected to the storage facility couldn’t get your house finished on time…………….its seems your beef, more fairly/reasonably be with the person responsible for the delays at home.

Try using your analogy with your landlord when your ready to pack up and leave his property before the end of a month rental period.

• Old School says:

It’s a month to month rental????

Cant Understand Normal Thinking?

4. Alex says:

Just had one of the worst experiences with U-Haul. They marked down on the contact miles that were not reflective of what was on the truck.

I drove a truck 50 miles and they charged me a $30 fee for not putting the gas I used back in the truck + the cost of gas.

Customer service is the worst and escalating things to managers gets you nowhere. They would rather get into an argument than try to resolve an issue. I actually had a manager hang up on me.

TRULY INCOMEPETANT AND DISHONEST…READ THE FINE PRINT FOR WAYS THEY CAN SCREW YOU

5. Missy says:

I see many U-haul staff complaining on here about their jobs and how they are forced to “lie” and treat customers – why don’t you do something about it and vote for a union? It is surprising to know that being such a large company with thousands of employees is not already unionized. You’d get higher pay, can’t get canned so easily, and it will force the company to abide by union rules.
    Stop complaining and do something about it!

• hvn4bid says:

Missy; In theory you are correct.. However Uhaul is an at will employer, meaning they can get rid of you anytime with or w/o justifiable reason. You start something like a Union, you’ll be out b4 you start passing handouts. A lot of employees are there because its a job unless you want to make a career out of it. Not too many people make it.. Unless your lips are made to kiss some major ass!!

6. cruz says:

I hate U-Haul. I know of one franchise at Batavia Self-Storage in Kalispell, Montana. Their managers cook the books for U-Haul. The trucks and trailers are in deplorable shape. The accounting books are a mess, so that if U-Haul is audited by the IRS, they can claim that the storage managers messed up the accounting books, not them.

• Old School says:

I am a dealer and we have no control of the books, we go online U Haul gives us the price to charge, U Haul charges your card not the dealer, if you pay cash U Haul pulls the all them money out of special account. Then after the end of the month we get our comission direct deposit into that same account.

This dealer you are talking about must be renting equipment outside of the U Haul rental process. Be sure you are getting a U Haul Reciept not the Dealer reciept!!

7. Deb says:

I live in Buffalo NY Rented a truck to move my Daughter. We picked up the truck now a 17 foot because the 14 was unavailable. The employee never looked in the box of the truck. We drove to the first stop of the move. The truck box was covered with mud up the sides all over the floor. I immediately called U-haul and was told I could return the truck for a different one.We had a strict time frame to move so to return was not a option.We had large tarps to cover the floors to keep everything clean. My husband called three days in a row to speak to a manager. A complaint was entered with a call expected within 24 hours from U-haul. No return call from manager Do not rent from U-haul

8. Anonymous says:

im so sick of thinking of how this company is treating me i cant go on here any longer. i say let’s get em on a class action lawsuit. they are so horrible i knew it wasn’t just me so i simply googled “uhaul bad company” and found many complaint pages and utter discuss for uhaul. im reporting them to the better business bureau—please you all do the same!

• Old School says:

so you found a few thousand complaints? out of the millions of U Haul rentals this is less than 1%

• Cathie says:

You are really obnoxious. At this point, U-Haul should be upgrading their customer service in a major way.

9. shineyourlovelight says:

10. julie says:

I had exactly the same experience as a bunch of you on this forum had: made my rez like a good girl, it said “24 hour rental,” but when I picked up the truck (after a 45 minute wait in line) was told it had to be back in 4 hours because of another reservation. Okay, if they knew about the other reservation, why didn’t they tell me that when I made my reservation? If this other reservation was made after mine, why didn’t they call me an ask how long I needed the truck for before double-booking? They are scamming the customer. I believe the DA calls it bait-and-switch. In fact, I’m going to give my local new station and DA’s office a call this week and have them check into this.

11. Henry says:

My friend i bought a business in LA we had to rent a truck from Uhaul so that we could move the stuff from one shop to another.. We went and got the truck we load all of our stuff in the truck we were on the freeway and the front right wheel just flow off the truck going 55MPH we crashed onto the divider thankfully we ended up with just minor scratches.. we were both transferred to the hospital and where treated for our injuries and now we hired a attorney to sue uhaul for damages. So if anyone else has a story with uhaul please share it with me

• Old School says:

First off you were not moving personal household items. You were moving a business, this is a commercial move. Were you complying to the letter of the law?

• Mike says:

What difference does it make? The wheel flew off the truck! Someone didn’t check the lug nuts during maintenance and put a customer’s life in jeopardy.

12. Brian says:

Yeah, Uhaul sucks. Yes, other companies rent out trucks for moving… but if you have a wife, 4 kids, dog, cat with a little more stuff to move, like I did, I opted to rent a cargo covered trailer (U-Haul monopolizes the market there for one way) and got halfway back to the house before the brakes on the trailer locked up. Instead of getting a different trailer, I had to wait on them to tell me they would not be able to fix it, and eventually got a different trailer… 4 hours later. Then we realized that the cargo door was broken and would only lift half-way. I had to take it back, in which they had no more “one-way” trailers on the lot. They did have an in town that is the same size… but god forbid should it leave the town. Can they not change their stock if needed? Last I checked, a truck is a truck, and a trailer is a friggin’ trailer.. but apparently the only difference is that all the “In-Town’s” are the only ones that actually work. I had to upgrade size… and pay for it… 6 hours after I should have started packing. Needless to say that halfway down the road, the long electronic cable was severed for road wear. I was told by U-haul to get off the road until I can purchase a new cable at an automotive shop. They said this is common (which begs the question as to why they didn’t supply me with spares). At least they took the cable out of my bill… but not the zip ties I purchase to zip up the cable so that it doesn’t happen again. A monkey could run U-haul better than these tweenage small location owners. U-Haul, CHECK YOUR INVENTORY BEFORE THE CUSTOMER GETS THERE!

13. kyan says:

So true. I helped my boyfriend move and he rented a U Haul truck (in new jersey). Not only was the truck days late from when he had reserved it, while we were driving it the power steering was broken and lost all of its fluid. It was practically impossible to drive and turn (and we were driving around very curvy mountain landscape in north jersey when it happened). Of course they refused to give any money or discount back and said it was our fault and that we would be charged for the damages to the car. The worker said, oh well you drove it didn’t you. Yes we had, but we were already on the turnpike when it had broken… it was so hard to drive this car, god forbid a pregnant woman had to get it, cause i swear it would cause a miscarriage

• hvn4bid says:

I am so sorry this happened to you. Not getting any money knocked out of the rental due to a faulty equipment is so true.. Uhaul’s Philosophy is that if you completed your move, no matter what kind of truck related problem you had the work that you set out to do was done. So, they did what they promised to do, they rented you a truck to move your stuff. There are a few Gms out there that will work with you but most of them wont..

14. sans82guy says:

This is not a complaint but a possible way to mitigate the problem of Uhaul screwing you. I have moved around 17 times in the last 21 years (military) and have learned some things. Uhaul is still around because they are usually (not always shop around) the cheapest. That being said, have you noticed a common theme in most of these complaints? They made reservations over the phone. GO IN PERSON GO IN PERSON. I never never make reservation online or on the phone, these two methods invariably lead to problems (the way the company is run leads to these central control/tracking problems). I have rarely hit a snag when it is face to face, and I always ask for and receive extra days or a small discount on the spot.

• Old School says:

Too many people think they can just click around a few links and like rubbing an ern a U Haul will apear in front of them!!! You are so right.

U Haul rents millions of trucks and trailers every year, so what if there are a few thousand complaints, it is less than 1%.

15. Stephanie says:

This is a great article. I wanted to let you know that we used Penske when we moved and their service was fantastic. The truck was there when they said and we had no problems with the return. There was no pressure to upgrade or pay for additional insurance, although we did opt for the insurance and it was a perfect deal. We rented a 22′ truck and the insurance was $17!! Well worth the price and we, unfortunately, had to use it due to a tree branch that put a hole in the top. All we had to do was fill out the report and we weren’t charged anything for the accident. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

16. The Buzzard says:

I worked for UHaul for over two years, just left for a better opportunity. UHaul is neither a total saint of a company nor are they a horrible company. But there are a few things you should be aware of:
    -UHaul does do it’s utmost to keep their trucks in good shape WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE RESOURCES THEY ARE WILLING TO EXPEND. By this I mean that there is a program of inspections, and if safety related problems are found, equipment is downed and repaired. And in the last several months, a lot of managers, including state-level managers, have lost their jobs for not following this program called “Level 1 inspections”. There are level 2 and level 3 inspections, but they are conducted at mileage points, level 1′s are every time a truck comes in. Sounds great, what’s the problem? Well, every year, the salary budget gets cut, so UHauls today are expected literally to do more with less. Don’t believe me? If you are a UHaul GM, go to reports, look up the 7 year profit and loss report, and look at the trend line for personnel expense. Sales gain or sales loss, that number has gotten smaller each year. So you have managers working 75 hour weeks trying to avoid being fired for not being “on program”, while the hours available to schedule other help steadily decline.
    Secondly, on a busy weekend, especially at the end of the month, UHaul wants those trucks to go out several times, so if you need a truck for a long period of time, say more than 4-5 hours for a smaller truck or 8-10 for a large 24 or 26 foot truck, either make a midweek rental, rent Friday night for a Saturday morning return, or prepare for a battle of wills. On one hand, it makes sense. If you are packed up and ready to go, and have a couple of friends properly bribed with pizza, it does not take 24 hours to move. So determine what you need, see if your schedule is flexible, and then be prepared to stand your ground. Don’t call, they will tell you “the truck is not available for that time”, and attempt to put you into a slot. We were told to schedule a single truck several times for the weekend, then move down to schedule the second truck, and so on. UHaul calls that “scheduling horizontally, not vertically”, and we were coached in manager meeting how to do this. Also, if you get a call a day or two before your rental from the manager telling you he needs to reschedule your rental because you truck has been in an accident, THE MANAGER IS LYING. Again, we were told to get on the phone, tell this to customers so as to open up more of those short slots for additional rentals. I can’t fault UHaul for wanting to maximize the number of rentals, on busy weekends, we were turning away lots of customers, all of whom needed to move but just were not smart enough to reserve far enough in advance.
    But if you legitimately need the truck for a long time, stand your ground. Tell the manager you are aware that this a common ruse, that you have a confirmed reservation, and that if he won’t honor a confirmed reservation, you want your reservation guarantee and the cell phone of his “MCP”. Now the MCP is the SOB who told him to get on the phone and reschedule customers, but it’s not worth his time to fight with you, so you will get your truck. In most cases, the manager will back down before it gets to that point. My personal advice would be to make the reservation online, then place a followup call to the national 800 number to confirm that you can have the truck for that long, and do all this at least a week out. The call center person will make a note on your rez that you have to have the longer rental, and you might not even get that annoying “truck had a wreck call”.

• badkarma says:

Well said Mr. Buzzard… You really hit the nail on the head. I could not have explained this issue any better.. Leaving the company for better opportunity is about the best move you ever made..

17. S Lastname says:

I was going to use Uhaul for my upcoming move but have read so many bad comments that I am choosing Budget instead. When I make a reservation, I want the truck to be ready at that location, close to my house. The feedback I have seen says that this is never true. I will have people at my home, waiting for me with the truck. I don’t have time to make my friends and family wait while I drive around trying to find the truck. I also need peace of mind that this vehicle is not going to break down in the 110 degree weather. I need RELIABLE service and Uhaul doesn’t sound reliable. I read someone said the “U” stands for unreliable. I will choose a different company. Sorry Uhaul, you better clean up your act.

• Me says:

And when Budget calls you the day of your move and cancel’s your reservation call us. We will get you a truck !!!

• phil says:

…Or at least take a reservation with a cancelation fee that may or may not be filled with a truck that may or may not be road-worthy.

Seriously?? “Me”, have you been reading these posts???

“S”, I’m not hearing any negative follow-up, so I trust you had a better experience.

• Hvn4bid says:

This is what is wrong with this company.. A lot of employee with no knowlege of customer service. @ Me, you do not resolve anything by adding insult to injury. I shouldnt be saying this cuz i hate uhaul too. However, just for the sake of educating you, instead of having a chip your shoulder, you should try to win customers back by giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping that you make right next time and hopefully win back your lost customer.(customer service 101) U-haul maybe the best truck rental equipment in the nation but its employees like you that ruins it…

• Old School says:

U haul does millions of Rentals, Budget could not attempt such a feat!!!!

18. LML says:

I had one great experience with UHaul, so had no qualms going back for round two (the round from hell). I was unaware that UHaul would decide where you pick up your truck. The first place was a dedicated UHaul store, run by a local guy who WANTS to stay in business. He was wonderful (Steve Jenkins, Elsmere KY – great guy). The second place was a gas station/quasi-uhaul outlet/vendor of crack pipes and other assorted drug paraphanalia. George was WAAAAY too interested in how long my house would be unattended. Add to that the fact that it took him one hour to get me “into the computer” and I got to stare at his extensive display of crack pipes modeled after male genitalia (with my 14 year old in tow), he did not have the moving blankets I ordered. He finally scrounged up 9 dirty, wadded up blankets. Oh, joy! It was a very creepy experience and of course I sent my comments to UHaul and have yet to hear from them! Not holding my breath.

19. William Kohlerman says:

Yea, I justed rented a truck a car trailer from U-Haul. The 1st problem was if you try to rent a trailer you need to go on their website and input the information for the vehicle you plan to tow on the car trailer. Well I did that, and the site gave me a combination to use. So, I reserved it for a one-way trip come to find out that the location I was to pick the equipment up did not have what I reserved. I had to go to the Phoenix area to get one, but that was fine cause I was towing it to the Phoenix area anyway. We pick-up the truck and trailer in Glendale, I prepaid the order on the phone first of all, but when we got to the location they wanted me to pay again. I fought that one, and we were on our way, thinking OK we will be good to go, get the truck on the trailer and get it to a garage in Phoenix to be fixed. Well here starts the problem, we get up Holbrook, AZ to load the truck to find out that the truck is to long to fit on the trailer, even though the website gives us a combination that will work–TRY AGAIN!!!! We do get the truck back to Phoenix, I return the truck and trailer after hours, and 2-days later I get a charge for another $335 for mileage. I did understand the $.89/mile for the extra miles, IT was 221 extra miles, at $.89/mile that is $196.69. I’m confused! I call customer service and they cannot explain the over-charge. It would have been cheaper to call a car tranporter. I’ll never rent from them again! This is rediculious!!

• Old School says:

If you had put in the correct information about the vehicle you were towing you would not have had any problems. Another customer error!!!

20. Mike says:

Here is another story. Made a reservation for 12PM on a Saturday. I go to that location, walk-in at 12:20PM to be told that the truck didn’t show and that I should have been called. NOPE. Guy was helpful and calls around to find that my reservation had been transferred to a location right down the road. Not horrible, BUT then he tells me I can’t pick it up until 4PM. I tell him that I can’t wait and will have to find an alternative means (had to borrow some friends and their trucks) so the original location told the transferred location that it wouldn’t work and I would have to cancel. After moving, I check my email to find an email sent at 12:10PM that my reservation was changed and to call if it wouldn’t work. Since that is what the original location did for me, I thought I was all set. NOPE. 3 days later, a $50 charge shows up. The transferred location charges me a cancellation fee. All corporate will do is file a request for the location GM to call me back in 24-48 hours. I’m not happy so I called the location immediately after and was treated like a piece of shit because they had a truck for me and they didn’t care if 4PM was too late…. They ended up hanging up on me. This was the 4th or 5th time using uhaul without any previous issues. This was my LAST whether I get refunded or not. Discover has already started the dispute process.

• Keep on Truck'in says:

….and by your own admittance, you were 20 minutes late. Did you call and inform anyone at Uhaul?

Isn’t it fact that Uhaul only collects rental charges once a rental contract is signed/termed and agreed to by the consumer?

In jest you’d hadn’t guaranteed Uhaul a dimes worth of income, nor invested a dime. Try this at your favorite restuarant…..make a reservation, and be 20 minutes late….someone else will be enjoying a meal at the table. The Restuarant will profit…………..just as Uhaul will renting the truck to someone whos more timely and needing.

21. Jason says:

I like U-Haul, you must have been an ass or they didn’t care because your Asian. Get use to it. They are a franchise company that employ local people. If you are nice to them, they will take care of you. Always had A++ service at U-Haul.

• Hvn4bid says:

@Jason, I do not know what part of the world u came from, must be from nowhere land were education is not of utmost importance.. Customers do not have to be nice to you or U-haul thats why they are called customers.. It is your responsibility and your job (if you are a Uhaul employee) to make the customer happy.. 2 rules of customer service 1) is that customer is always right 2) if the customer is wrong, refer to rule1… This is how it is regardless if your white black asian or whatever color of skin u have.. Now, if you are a dealer and I know you are, You would not know anything about what customer service is because probably you’re just one of the help at your store who really do not want to do anythin about U-haul since you’re not reaping any of the benefits Uhaul give your boss.. your AFM should teach give u a lesson or 2 on this issue..better yet go to school and get proper education..and study about the constitution and bill of rights..

• Old School says:

Where in the constitution and bill of rights..

does it state you have the right to a U HAUL Truck?? lol

22. Cynthia says:

UHaul in Atlanta, GA has just screwed me royally. Let me give you a short version of my horrible experience. Reserved a truck to move during the middle of the week for the upcoming Saturday, reserved this truck on my credit card. Arrived for pickup at 7AM, No truck til 10AM, I have paid two movers with years of experience who are sitting waiting for me, I have no choice but to wait. Received the truck, NO APOLOGY, NO SORRY FOR THE DELAY, A RUDE BUNCH OF PEOPLE, CUSTOMER NO SERVICE at its best. Arrived within three hours to return the truck and rented a storage unit, low and behold the COMPUTER IS DOWN. THe General Manager proceeds to write everything by hand, verifies my phone numbers, email address, etc, will send the contract info via email. I placed this less than three week old purchase of sectional sofa (complete living room), dining room, and all my grad school paperwork in a 10by10 storage. I asked and confirmed the number of the unit and stored the info in my phone. I proceeded out to the truck and my movers began unloading & taking the items up to the third floor, I went up and inspected the unit first. For the remaining trips I stood at the back of the truck which was parked in the designated area for this purpose. I did go up three times to see how everything was fitting in the unit. At the end, I went down to the front counter and purchased the heavies grade of lock and rode the elevator back up to meet the two movers, double checked the lock and proceeded to drop my movers off. I stored everything before heading into the hospital for major surgery, I wasn’t concerned about my furniture with my visa info recorded I knew my payments would be deducted automoatically, afterall I had a contract on the truck, and I was dealing with the manager who assured me that she would send a confirmation via email on the rental contract. THAT NEVER HAPPENED- I came by this location upon release from the hospital, presented my Drivers License as is customary, and was given an access card to use the elevator by the desk clerk, who explained how to use the access card. The unit number I was originally given – MY KEY DOESN”T FIT – There were a couple of others also who didn’t get a printed contract on rental units, in otherwords this group of theieves have stolen belongings and didn’t even attempt to help. I spent four hours on a ladder veering over the tops of all the units on the Third Floor, and the manager who I originally dealt with, sat on her duff and simpy stated You only have a contract for a truck, and your keey doesnt fit. I tried my keys in every lock on the third floor and it fit in four units. But I was told those units belong to others and there is no such thing as a Master Key. After spending the day with them, the losses of 9500 dollars and countless personal papers, I WILL SEE THEM IN COURT> I have to witnesses, by the way the movers were two respected clergymen in this state. I’ll let you know what happens, someone is enjoying the fruits of my labor thanks to UHAUL.

23. Lakisha says:

Every company every is not liked by alot of people thats just life, that doesnt mean they are a bad company. Ive been using them for years and never once had a problem. One persons mistakes shouldn’t make it ok for you to bash the WHOLE company. Im sorry this issue happened to you but the are a great company and they make it easy for people who are on a budget to get a truck, all those other places are very costly and aren’t made to move house hold furniture but hey thats my opinion =)

• badkarma says:

You are right Lakisha!! However if you did not notice, why is it that there is a website for people who hate Uhaul and lots of people are blogging with their bad experiences. I dont think that this is just a coincidence!!Employees are the company…I was once an employee and I left because I did not agree on their their understanding of customer service.. Uhaul has a big chip on their shoulder due to the fact that they monopolize the market. Their favorit quote is “Well try to get a truck from the other guys and see if they get one.” Where do you think this employees hear it from?

• Old School says:

A thousand Complaints when millions were served!! Sounds like U Haul has a great record of customer service!!!

24. Terrible Customer Service System says:

I must say that Uhaul’s customer service system is one of the worst I have used. Every time I try to call my local Uhaul to confirm/change a reservation, I am put on hold for at least 15 minutes. I was on hold for one hour for the last call I made, and no one ever picked up so I hung up! These times for waiting are completely unacceptable! The only positive thing I can say is that when someone finally answers my call, he or she is usually helpful/friendly.

• Libby says:

I have just endured the worst move ever due to poor U-Haul service. First, I had a confirmed reservation at a pick-up location that was apparently a gas station with a U-Haul contract. When I went to pick up the truck I reserved I was told “The U-Haul guy wasn’t there because they didn’t have any reservations today.” I went back home, pulled up my confirmation and began the calls to U-Haul customer service, after sitting on hold, getting re-directed, disconnected and “accidentally hung up on” all morning. I got a person who said they spoke with the gas station and they have my reservation and I should go pick it up. I went back to the gas station and was told I had to talk to the U-Haul guy who was out mowing the lawn. I went over to him and he said I’d have to wait for him to finish, when I advised him I had waited enough as I had already been there once he said I was lying and he was there the whole time. He was an unprofessional looking and speaking person who began yelling at me and refused to stop mowing to rent me the truck, he said he must have been at the bank when I arrived earlier. I again, started with the attempts to contact U-Haul customer service, after holds, disconnect and re-direct I got a manager, Allison, who seemed very competent and kind. I was able to pick up a truck at another location and she even refunded me $50, under their guarantee policy. I picked up a truck at another location and had no trouble at all during the transaction. However, just when I thought all was well, I received a voice mail message from a representative in my drop-off location just an hour after I picked up the truck stating that I had failed to return the truck as agreed and that I needed to call them immediately. So, again I stated with the attempts, holding for 45 minutes, disconnects etc. (all the while thinking they had me down for a stolen truck) I asked for a manager and got Jodie, who told me it the new girl most likely misread the contract. When I told her it was a little much to take after already having experienced so much trouble she became rude and asked me what I expect “after all, I was already given $50 off.” I told her I expect an apology and assurance that I will have no further trouble, also that if I do have further issues I would like a direct phone number to contact someone as the routine of sitting on hold, getting disconnected etc. was only exacerbating my troubles. She told me that she thought I didn’t really want an apology that I just wanted to vent because I was having a tough time. She kept talking over me and telling me she didn’t like my tone, completely pushing the blame on me for having the nerve to be upset over the message, which was just a mistake after all. I didn’t think I was asking for much, but I guess this branch of U-Haul customer service couldn’t see where I was coming from and couldn’t see where this kind of message would be a problem to someone who had to wait on hold for one hour to clarify they were not stealing the truck. All of this caused me to have to call my wireless carrier to increase my rate plan due to using an excessive number of minutes, it cost me one night’s hotel stay due to the time delay, an extra day of missed work, and a whole lot of aggravation. Even though there are some good employees at U-Haul, I would not take a chance, pay the extra money and go with someone else, it’s a much safer bet.

• fallen angel says:

Libby, sorry you had to go thru all these just to rent a truck. Moving is bad enough and renting a truck from these guys just make it worse.. You unfortunately dealt with a uhaul dealer who does not give a rats ass about uhaul because he has his own business to run. Uhaul has an Area Field Manager who recruits dealers and they would sign any in business big or small in a heartbeat. Most of these AFMs just sign them up for the numbers so they can look good w/ the company, with disregard on who these people realy are. The same with the Uhaul corporate centers. People get hired just because they need warm bodies at the store. And most of the time they are left at the counter by themselves with an uncontrollable crowd with very little to no assistance at all. This is a common practice because the company gives the manager a skimpy budget to work with ergo, lots of bad judgement, errors and poor customer service. Im not defending them, I hate them. Just thought Id give you a little education on how Uhaul does business. Tho there are good managers out there that does a good job but for the most part, thats uhaul for yah!!

• Old School says:

That’s what happens when you walk into my store treating me like a servent demanding I kiss your back side!

25. rae says:

everyone on here obviously had a bad experience w. the company. but at the same time its REALLY obvious none of you kno how thr “truck sharing” business works. you tend to forget the millions of customers U-Haul as a whole services, and that you are SHARING trucks wit other customers. you might not like the fact you have to travel to get equipment but ask ANY OTHER do-it-yourself moving company if their trucks sit there on the lot 24/7 just waiting for YOUR reservation and only yours. i work at u-haul and i completely understand our reservation system and equipment availability. we have disclaimers, learn to read the small print

• Old School says:

I’m a Dealer and we rent millions of trucks and only get a few thousand complaints.

• Mike says:

Putting disclaimers in fine print to cover yourself doesn’t make for a good customer experience. If you take a reservation and get a CC to guarantee a charge $50 for no-shows, you should hold the truck for the customer. That is how your competition does it and that is what will do you in. You might survive, but you are opening the door for the competition to seriously attack your market share. Look at K-Mart, they got sloppy with service and they are almost non-existent now.