Personal Finance
comments

I Will Teach You To Be Rich 6-Week Boot Camp

I Will Teach You To Be Rich 6 Week Boot CampWhen Ramit approached me about writing about his new I Will Teach You To Be Rich Boot Camp, I was a little hesitant. I was hesitant because I didn’t really know much about him, despite writing a few pages in his New York Times bestselling book I Will Teach You To Be Rich, and I didn’t know if it would really be worth it.

I think the way he structured it almost ensures it’ll work. So your typical classroom situation involves a teacher instructing a student. It’s a one to many relationship. The better classes incorporate a team aspect, where you and partners work on projects. You learn as much from others as you do yourself… which is crucial.

Sure, you get hands-on help from Ramit Sethi and some great guest speakers, but more importantly you are joined by people just like you. Some of them will have solved a problem you’re facing and I think that’s one of the understated things about the program.

Here’s the curriculum:

• Week 1 – Optimizing your credit cards 11/9-11/15
  • Week 2 – Beat the banks and negotiate bills 11/16 – 11/22
  • Week 3 – Open 401K and Roth IRA 11/23-11/29
  • Week 4 – Conscious Spending 11/30 – 12/6
  • Week 5 – Automation 12/7 – 12/13
  • Week 6 – Investing – setting up portfolio 12/14 – 12/20

If you are the king of optimizing credit cards, you might be giving more than you get that first week. However, if you are weak with automation, that’s when you’ll learn something. Not good with asset allocation or planning your retirement? Week 3 looks like a place where you’ll take more than you give.

Here’s a little taste of what Ramit’s video presentations are like (and maybe what the boot camp will be like):

In the end, there is a 30-day money back guarantee. If you make it two-thirds of the way through and find it’s not for you, he’ll refund all of your money. There’s no risk in giving it a shot if you think it’s right for you.

Special Offer: If you sign up to Ramit’s 6 Week Boot Camp program and are a registered user on Bargaineering.com, I’ll give you 150 Bargaineering Bucks if you forward me the email confirmation. You can usually convert those 150 BB into about ten ING Direct referrals (worth $100) at the Bargaineering store… thus cutting the price of the program in half.

11 Responses to “I Will Teach You To Be Rich 6-Week Boot Camp”

1. eric says:

I’ve met Ramit in person and he’s a cool guy. He can come off harsh in his writing but he has good intentions. I’m passing on the program but I don’t doubt it’s helpfulness for people who need it!

2. Bill says:

I stopped reading his blog, way to much attitude.

3. zapeta says:

I considered registering for the class, but with the exception of week 4 where he deals with conscious spending I have most of the other things in place. I think for someone just starting to pay attention to their finances this would be well worth the price.

4. Kevin says:

I’m with Bill. I can’t stand ramit’s blog. I’ll stick to the simple dollar and get rich slowly.

5. jsbrendog says:

what i Ddon’t get is the 200 dollar charge. What is there in this “bootcamp” that isn’t in his book/on his blog already? His book was the first finance book I bought and it was awesome, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like he i just rehashing all this stuff over and over again under the guise of you have to spend money to make money. Maybe I am wrong and if I were just coming into it now I would see it as a better opportunity….or maybe i am just missing something

as for his writing style I enjoy it but I can see how some people might not. I found the book funny and definitely geared more towards 20 somethings.

6. Daniel says:

I unfortunately have to agree with the comments regarding the blog. I read Ramit’s book and found it to be a great read and recommended it to friends and family. His blog seems to attempt every marking tactic possible and rehashing many of the same points from the book. It is beginning to read more and more like generic marketing copy. I am also glad I used a separate spam account for his book “extras”. I loved his book but am now very turned off by his website.

I don’t want to sound negative, but this boot-camp seems to have solidified this theory for me.

7. Wilma says:

Like a lot of others I’ve read countless books and magazine articles about what I need to be doing. I already live a very stripped down Scroogie way of life and scrutinize every purchase but I need to go the extra mile beyond my 401K and get more into a savings account or Roth IRA. Thank you to Bargaineering for the constant reminders to keep going in the right direction. Yes, we’re all listening. We just sorta drag our feet sometimes. =)

8. AmandaDRowe says:

I like Ramit’s ideas but think they come up at a steep price. More often than not, I get the same information from Suze on Oprah’s show for free (or numerous other places). I’m really looking for next steps once you have the basics down. Jim – you want to write a post about what to do after you’ve gotten through the baby steps?

9. saladdin says:

Sorry. The word Boot Camp brings back memories of yelling for getting out of step.

Way too much good free advice to pay that much.

saladdin

10. Chris says:

One would pay how much for that?
    Not I…