Taxes
comments

Incorrect Direct Deposit Information on Tax Return

Amy asked a very good question in the comments of my stimulus package post:

Please post information on if you had direct deposit for your tax return but have since closed the account how do you go about removing that information and getting on the mailing list?

This is particularly important for folks waiting on the 2008 tax stimulus check since they may have heard that you can get your stimulus check faster if the IRS has your direct deposit information on file. But, what happens if your direct deposit information was input wrong, changed, or made no longer valid between the time you file and the time the IRS tries to make the deposit? The IRS will send you a check, according to Publication 17.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to change that information after you have filed.

While this may be disconcerting for some, even if such a form existed, it likely wouldn’t be processed in time to make a difference anyway. By the time they processed the form, the IRS would’ve tried direct depositing to the old account, failed, and mailed you a check anyway. Sadly, they don’t have a very fast response time on anything.

71 Responses to “Incorrect Direct Deposit Information on Tax Return”

1. Minimum Wage says:

My stimulus check will be diverted (not my choice) to my student loan balance, so I won’t receive either a direct deposit or a check.

So does it matter at all what numbers I give them for direct deposit? I don’t like giving them my real account number if I’m not going to actually get anything deposited into my account, but I have to give them some direct deposit info to get the stimulus processed faster.

Considering the time value of money and the infinitesimal interest reduction in having the stimulus processed faster, I’d rathger owe a few pennies less than a few pennies more, but I think it’s stupid if I have to give them useless info.

2. Felicia Goldman says:

I did not do direct deposit this year but i have in the past and i still have the same account number. Will they still try to direct deposit it for me. Or do i have to call the irs and give them my account number for them to do direct deposit for me.

3. bernice m sherrod says:

my tax refund was deposited into my account it was a money transfer? will my rebate check be deposted as well

4. Tammy Reid says:

I have closed out my account sence my tax refund, will I receive a check in the mail or do I need to send the new information in on the new account.

5. Gail says:

I did not do direct deposit this year but I have in the past and I still have the same account number. Will they still try to direct deposit it for me? I did however had my state refund directly deposit. What will happen in my situation?

6. NICOLE says:

WHEN USING A COMMERCIAL TAX SERVICE AND HAVING TAX PREP FEES DEDUCTED FROM YOUR REFUND, THE INITIAL IRS REFUND IS DIRECT DEPOSITED INTO THAT PARTICULAR TAX SERVICE BANK ACCOUNT AND YOU ARE THEN ISSUED A CKECK FROM THAT OFFICE….HOW WOULD YOUR REBATE BE ISSUED IN THIS CASE?

7. Janet says:

Do I need to put a joint bank account number on a “married filing jointly” tax return for direct deposit? Or can I use any account in my name OR my spouses name?

8. sheila spradlin says:

I forgot to have my economic stimulus check to be deposited in to my bank account is it to late to change it to have it direct deposited/

9. Karen Stutes says:

My husbend and I have recently seperated and we had our taxes split between our accounts wich account will it be deposited into?

10. William Henry says:

I received my tax return via HR Block debit card this year. How will I receive my tax rebate?

11. NICHOLE says:

EVEN IF YOU HAVE YOUR 2007 REFUND ON A H&R BLOCK DEBIT CARD, YOU WILL STILL RECIEVE A PAPER CHECK..

12. Holly says:

I get my taxes done at H&R block and receive a debit card. Does that mean I have to wait an extra 2 months for my refund? How will I get my rebate and when my last 2 numbers are 85

13. TIFFANY says:

I HAVE RECIEVED MY TAXEX FOR THE YEAR, HOWEVER I NOW HAVE A GARNISMENT AGAINST MY WAGES FOR STUDENT LOANS. WILL I STILL RECIEVE A CHECK?

14. Ira says:

I did my taxes at H&R Block. I got a rapid refund in the form of a paper check but have not recieved a notice in the mail about my rebate check even though I qualified for the rebate. If the problem is with the post office how can I be sure I will ever get it.

15. Tonya says:

IF I’M NO LONGER LIVING AT THE ADDRESS THAT I’VE FILED MY 2007 TAXES, WILL I STILL RECEIVE MY STIMULUS CHECK AT MY NEW ADDRESS IF I HAVE A CHANGE OF ADDRESS IN ?

16. KIm Pettus says:

I received my taxes on a H&R Block master card. Will my rebate check be placed on that card or will I receive a paper ck? My last digits of my SSN# is 91. When are those cks mailed out?

17. nel says:

I got a rapid refund in the form of a paper check for my tax guy? But I normally do direct deposit how will I get my refund?

18. STephanie says:

I also got my taxes done at H&R Block and they put it on a debit card. DOes this mean that I have to have a check mailed out to me? Or do they put the money back on that debit card?

19. Jessica says:

I also got an h&r block emeraldcard for my ral when i did my takes. I called my local H&R Block to ask the same question about what will happen with my stimulus check and They informed me that it would be put on the card.

20. Johanna says:

I also had the H&R emerald card refund, I called H&R and they informed me they believe the rebates should go into our H&R emerald cards and be considered direct deposit. I hope they are correct:)

21. Adrian says:

So I recieved my 2007 tax return using direct deposit so will I also recieve the tax rebate the same way?

22. George says:

I had neither a tax liability nor a tax refund on my 2007 tax return computation.
    Can I still get the IRS to direct deposit my economy stimulus check?

Thanks.

23. melissa wynn says:

IF I EFILED AND DID DIRECT DEPOSIT WILL MY CHECK THEN BE DIRECT DEPOSITED

24. michelle davis says:

Is there any way I can give my direct deposit infomation to get my rebate earlier?

25. Anonymous says:

I was in the process of moving out of state so I had my income taxes deposited into my mother’s account…will it still go to my mother’s account?