Taxes
comments

Incorrect Direct Deposit Information on Tax Return

Amy asked a very good question in the comments of my stimulus package post:

Please post information on if you had direct deposit for your tax return but have since closed the account how do you go about removing that information and getting on the mailing list?

This is particularly important for folks waiting on the 2008 tax stimulus check since they may have heard that you can get your stimulus check faster if the IRS has your direct deposit information on file. But, what happens if your direct deposit information was input wrong, changed, or made no longer valid between the time you file and the time the IRS tries to make the deposit? The IRS will send you a check, according to Publication 17.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to change that information after you have filed.

While this may be disconcerting for some, even if such a form existed, it likely wouldn’t be processed in time to make a difference anyway. By the time they processed the form, the IRS would’ve tried direct depositing to the old account, failed, and mailed you a check anyway. Sadly, they don’t have a very fast response time on anything.

71 Responses to “Incorrect Direct Deposit Information on Tax Return”

1. Pamela says:

My 2007 return also came via the Emerald Card from H and R Block. It would make the most sense that the Economic Stimulus be deposited there because it is a “debit card”, which means that it is connected to an actual bank account. I know that it is for a fact because I called them when I first got the card and they said that when I make withdrawals from the card at ATM’s that I should choose “checking”.

If you go to their website they give you a run down on when you will receive your money and how. Just type in Economic Stimulus in the search.

2. Shun says:

THIS IS FROM http://WWW.IRS.GOV; I ALSO HAD A REFUND VIA HR BLOCK EMERALD CARD AND WE’LL ALL BE GETTING A CHECK!!!!

Q. I chose direct deposit for my 2007 tax refund but also requested a Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL) from my preparer. How does that affect my stimulus payment?

A. Taxpayers who use RALs or enter into any other loan or financial agreement with their tax professional cannot receive their stimulus payments by Direct Deposit and instead will get a paper check.

Q. Can my stimulus payment be directly deposited onto a stored value card or debit card where a bank product such as a RAL/RAC is not involved?

A. No. [New 4/14/08]

3. Dana Craven says:

I received my rebate on an H&R Block emerald card, is that concidered direct deposit? Will mt rebate be put on the card, or will I receive a paper check?

4. Danny says:

If you call 1-866-353-1266 which is the number on the back of the Emerald Debit Card. Then listen to your balance then choose to speak to a Customer Service Rep. You will then hear a recording telling you that your Stimuli payment will be sent to you as a check if you had your 2007 tax return deposited onto your Emerald CARD. We must wait!!

5. Sarah says:

So what if we had part of our refund put on the Emrald card and the other part put into our checking and they have both information on file. Will it go into my checking since they are not putting it on the emerald card???

6. Sarah says:

but the checking deposit was for state???

7. cah says:

My husbandand I didn’t know that our money could be direct deposit. Is there a way to have it done so we don’t have to wait until July for the extra help?

8. Tonya says:

I called the IRS today and specifically asked about the tax rebate check and how it was gong to be dispersed, as I filed with H&R block and had our refund put on our emerald card, the gentleman told me that my rebate check WOULD be deposited into my emerald card by May 9th 2008. Hope this helps

9. Tammy W says:

AS of today 4/30/2008 when i called the IRS i was told that is all changed today that if you have an Emerald Card that the stimulas payment will go to that card as a direct deposit….. if you have lost your card then you need to close the card with H&R block an wait for a paper check…. those was running about 3 weeks late, cause the IRS has to wait for the money to come back from the closed account then re-issue payment…

10. jason says:

I had my tax return put on the Emerald card and i have my pay from my job direct deposited onto the card as well…does that make a difference or will my stimulus payment be sent by check also

11. Lisa says:

I received my 2007 refund on my Emerald Card RAL. Don’t be fooled. I called the IRS and the number on the back of my Emerald Card. I was told by the IRS that if you payed extra fees to get your refund by refund anticipation loan (RAL), you will be mailed a paper check. I just called them on April 29th. I called 2 weeks ago and was told differently. I raised heck with H&R Block. They said it wasn’t their fault it was HSBC Bank who has stopped our rebates from coming on our cards. If you got your refund on your Emerald Card and waited the 8 days, instead of the RAL, you will get your rebate on your Card. I am furious. So, this Bank and H & R Block made extra $ on me because I needed my tax refund fast, but they are refusing to put our rebates on our cards.

12. Melissa says:

I also got my refund put on an Emerald Card from H&R Block. What number did (Tammy & Jason) when you called the IRS and got your information saying it would be deposited to the card?

13. Paul says:

I called H&R Block today. They told me that if you did a Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL) and had the proceeds of the RAL direct deposited to the Emerald card, you get a check. However, if your direct deposit to the Emerald Card came directly from the IRS (no RAL) then the payment is direct deposited to the card. This intuitively makes sense because with the RAL, you are getting a loan from H&R Block, then H&R Block gets your refund so there would be no way for H&R Block to get all these payments, then figure out who they belong to and send the money to each card. With direct deposit from the IRS to the card, there’s no reason for them not to send it there again.

14. dawn says:

My husbands last 2 digits are 06 we had our refund direct deposited, but we still have not gotten our stimulus money. should I wait til friday and see. or should we have gotten it already? we are expecting 1800.

15. Gardner says:

My last 2 digits are 05, I filed two weeks before the end of January and used Direct Deposit, but have yet to receive my rebate. I will wait until tomorrow and then call the IRS. In fact, I filed online with the IRS online. This makes no sense!

16. dawn says:

i filed at the end of Jan too. used tax cut.

17. kellie says:

i just got off the phone with the irs and they stated that operators just got a memo yesterday that the rebate check should go onto the emerald card. u can go on the website there is now a where is my stimulus payment link that u can use. i hope this is helpful. she also said that u have to make sure ur emerald card is active

18. dawn says:

We used Tax cut to do our taxes and had our refund direct deposited, as of this morning we still had not gotten our rebate. I called The irs and there is an automated choice to check the status. we are getting a check. If we did direct depost why are we getting a check? Oh well at least I know its on the way, Im just really annoyed!

the number to check status is 866-234-2942 you will need the total amount of deductions and the first SS listed on the tax form. they will tell you how much and when.

19. dawn says:

on my last post I meant exemptions not deductions, sorry. it still early!

20. Kayla says:

Hi, If my account was closed out since efiling. Will i receive a check at the same time i would if it was deposited or wait till the end of july???

21. Vicki says:

Hi All,
    I have read all the posts, and was wondering, if anyone know’s of anyone who has received their rebate, that had direct deposit through the loan from the bank on the emerald card when they did their taxes? It would be nice if they mailed out checks first for the ones who had the direct deposit with the emerald card. Hopefully soon.

22. Hillary says:

I recieved my 2007 taxes on my emerald card in 1 day. Will I recieve a check or will it be on my card? I am confused, and I havent been able to speak to a live person at the irs.

23. Mo says:

I did my tax with H R Block and opted the refund anticipation loan (RAL) my refund was direct deposited into my checking. I later found out HR Block did not put my apt number on the tax form. I live in a 8 unit appts, I have gotten two different stories on the rebate check as far as how it will be dispersed. First, I read that IRS is going to send the paper check. Second, I called H R Block, I was told because I did direct deposit, I will be getting a direct deposit. I am confused. I never did receive any notice in the mail regarding the rebate checks, probably because they didn’t have my apt number. Does anyone know how the IRS is going to send the rebate check if you opted for RAL? Any comments would be appreciated.

24. dawn says:

for those wondering that do not want to call the 866 number go to http://www.irs.gov and there is a where’s my stimulus package option under stimulus questions.

25. danielle says:

If you done the one day or two day deposit on your emerald card you get a check I called and thats what they said