- Bargaineering - http://www.bargaineering.com/articles -

Incorrect Direct Deposit Information on Tax Return

Amy asked a very good question in the comments of my stimulus package post:

Please post information on if you had direct deposit for your tax return but have since closed the account how do you go about removing that information and getting on the mailing list?

This is particularly important for folks waiting on the 2008 tax stimulus check [3] since they may have heard that you can get your stimulus check faster [4] if the IRS has your direct deposit information on file. But, what happens if your direct deposit information was input wrong, changed, or made no longer valid between the time you file and the time the IRS tries to make the deposit? The IRS will send you a check, according to Publication 17. [5]

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to change that information after you have filed.

While this may be disconcerting for some, even if such a form existed, it likely wouldn’t be processed in time to make a difference anyway. By the time they processed the form, the IRS would’ve tried direct depositing to the old account, failed, and mailed you a check anyway. Sadly, they don’t have a very fast response time on anything.