Did you know that you don’t need to be a citizen of the United States to serve in the Army? From dhs.org :
161 U.S. Soldiers Naturalized in Baghdad
July 4, 2007 (Baghdad, Iraq) – During an Independence Day ceremony at Camp Victory, 161 soldiers became naturalized U.S. citizens.
Army Gen. David Petraeus said the troops being naturalized as U.S. citizens were most deserving: “When you enlisted into the Armed Forces you swore to support and defend a Constitution that did not yet fully apply to you. You chose to endure the same sacrifices as your fellow comrades in arms to preserve the freedom of a land that was not yet fully yours. You accepted that you might have to pay the ultimate price on behalf of a nation to which you did not fully belong. Now, you will officially become citizens of the United States, a country to which each of you has already borne true faith and allegiance in your hearts and your deeds.”
Absolutely incredible, I love America. Happy Independence Week everyone and have a great weekend.
Now onto our regularly scheduled programming…
- Nickel shares an insidious new practice of some online retailers where they offer a Bill Me Later  option that basically opens a line of credit, which is bad for the consumer. Very bad.
- FMF recommends buying prescription drugs in bulk  and cutting pills in pieces to get your proper dosage. While he does warn about how this isn’t possible with all pills, I think it’s a little dangerous to be messing around like that… then again I’m not regularly spending big dollars on drugs.
- MBH discusses how you can’t borrow your way to prosperity .
- If you live near Flexo (NYC/NJ area), here are some great frugal ideas for the summer .
- JLP tackles the difficult question of when to start taking social security payments .
- When I first heard about the guy who renovated his house to look like something from Star Trek, I laughed because part of me thought it was really cool. Then I heard he was going bankrupt, which is terrible, but then SVB shares with us that he sold the house for five times  the going rate in his neighborhood. The article goes on to talk about home renovations so it’s not all Star Trek nerdness, so give it a look.
- Sun makes the case for putting alternative investments in your portfolio .
- Lazy Man has had alternative income streams on his mind and takes a crack at analyzing some opportunities  he’s seen.
- Ben recently saw a Kiplinger’s Personal Finance article about undiscovered stocks and wondered when do they become discovered ?
- Jeremy puts out part 4 of his mid-year checkup .
- Don’t think you make enough to save for retirement? 
- Kudos to Tricia for getting their credit card balances under $20,000 !