Banking
comments

ING Direct Debit Card 1% Cashback Promotion

ING Direct 1% Cashback PromotionING Direct is offering a 1% cashback promotion on their Electric Orange debit card for purchases under $50 from now until November 30th. This applies to the card even if you use it as a credit card (signature based purchase). It’s not often that a debit card offers 1% cashback.

If you already have the card, you don’t have to do anything because the promotion is activated automatically. You’ll get the cashback rebate posted on the 15th of the following month. The promotion ends on November 30th but hopefully they’ll extend it if there’s enough demand.

What isn’t eligible? Purchases over $50, any transaction where you request cash back or get a cash advance, anything related to gambling, unauthorized transactions, ATM withdrawals, wire transfers or money orders, and finance charges. Outside of those, you’ll get 1% cashback with no limit.

10 Responses to “ING Direct Debit Card 1% Cashback Promotion”

1. Joe says:

ING has a debit card now? I had a savings account with them years ago and shut it down because it was just too cumbersome for me to deal with. The debit card would be a great feature.

• echidnina says:

Yeah, it’s linked to their Electric Orange checking account. It’s a pretty decent account and I’ve been happy with it.

• Shirley says:

So then do these purchases also count for the required debit purchases per month for the Electric Orange checking aaccount?

• NateUVM says:

Shirley, I’ve had an Electric Orange account for over a year and have NEVER used the debit card ( I use a rewards credit card )… To my knowledge, there is no minimum required number of transactions required in order to avoid a fee or anything. To that end, I’ve never been charged a fee.

Am I missing some small print here…? Is there a bonus offer associated with the number of transactions that I am missing?

• Shirley says:

Aiee… my goof. After seeing your reply, I have now double-checked and find that there are no debit transactions required to avoid a fee. I’m sorry, Nate, I thought there were, and thank you for the reply.

2. zapeta says:

Not much of a deal if purchases over 50 are excluded. Still, you might get a few bucks back over the next few months and most debit cards give you nothing.

3. echidnina says:

I was really excited to hear about this; unfortunately it went into effect just after I moved overseas and their international transaction charge is higher than 1%, so no deal for me.

4. Ron says:

With the $50 limit, you are being encouraged to charge a lot of small purchases. Most of us are better off financially using cash for small purchases. I once saw a statistic from the credit card companies, toward merchants, touting how much extra consumers spend using plastic verses cash. Now, I can’t locate this statement anywhere.

Me, I use a PenFed CC, cash back of 5% for gas 2% for groceries and 1% everything else. I use it mostly for gas and recurring bills, (cable and cell bills).

5. jsbrendog says:

meh, still won’t convince me to use a debit card instead of my rewards credit card. plus i just can’t get past my skepticism regarding online banks’ checking accounts.

6. Sun says:

There’s a 2% cashback debit card posted on another personal finance site but required $5k minimum checking balance