Banking
comments

ING Direct Offers Remote Check Depositing

ING Direct CheckMate Remote DepositING Direct was once far ahead of the pack in terms of banking innovation, offering a high yield savings account and pretty much scaring people with how good their rates were. The online service was fantastic, since that’s all you had in terms of interface with the bank, and it was amazing how quickly you could do things. Perhaps they rested on their laurels, maybe they just wanted to be deliberate, but only now have they joined the ranks of banks that offer remote deposit. Remote deposit is when you can deposit a check without having to mail something in or go to a bank or automated teller machine.

The service is called CheckMate and there are two ways to deposit your check remotely. The first way is to download their ING Direct app, take a photo, and upload it. The second involves taking a picture of the check, logging into the website, and uploading it.

I used the ING Direct app and the process was painless. There is a limit of $3,000 maximum per check and after you take a photo of the front and back, you’re asked to enter the amount of the check (it won’t read it off the image, or they use it as verification). Then, you’re told the deposit will be available May 17th. Once ING receives the image, they email you. Once the deposit is confirmed, they email you again (and you can destroy the check).

Seems pretty pretty easy to me, hopefully the deposit goes through!

Update: Deposit was confirmed within a couple hours of submission.

9 Responses to “ING Direct Offers Remote Check Depositing”

1. Diane says:

I was excited to learn about this option, until I called ING & learned that your money is not available immediately, as it would be with a local bank. That 5-7 day delay put me off…

I won’t be using this on a regular basis until they offer the same service as my local bank, but it’s okay for money you don’t plan to use immediately.

They did mention that direct deposit paychecks will have immediate availability.

2. PK says:

Yep, I just used it for the first time yesterday. At first I thought that the images being captured with my smartphone were never going to work, but the ones they sent back in the confirmation were great.
    As for availability, mine is available after 2 business days to my Electric Orange checking. You must have been depositing to a savings?

3. Steveo says:

I deposited a refund check on April 26th into my savings account and received an email the same day that it was deposited and I could void the check.

4. Matt says:

Great, I was just wishing they had this last week when I had to take a check to Suntrust before transferring it to ING.

5. daenyll says:

they no longer support blackberry ap, thus limited to online method

6. govenar says:

I scanned a couple checks and uploaded them to their website. It didn’t accept them at first, saying it couldn’t read the checks. But then I took their advice and put a contrasting color background behind the check, and increased the DPI of the scanning (from 200 to 300 I think), and it worked.

7. Justin C says:

I just tried ING’s remote deposit and it SUCKS. It took several tries to get them to be able to “read” the check, even though I used a perfectly good image of it scanned at 300dpi with a very good scanner. Then, if you deposit it on a Friday night.. GOOD LUCK. ZERO funds are available til.. whenever.. Monday I guess.. if I use my credit union’s ATM, it scans the check, shows an image of the check on the receipt, and the deposit is 100% available immediately. Why the heck should I even use ING’s remote deposit??? Waiting 5 days for some gimmicky ‘do it now at home’ thing is retarded. Now, here it is late Friday night, and I have no access to this check I “deposited..” and also no way to cancel it, and deposit it in my credit union. Overall a crappy experience.

• Jillian B says:

Justin C I can not agree more! Everything you sad came right out of my head! I too got the go ahead to cancel my check pretty quickly but the funds won’t be available for 8 days? How exactly is that saving me time and money? I guess not having it available for me to spend is the money saving part. As for the time… Absolutely not. I will never NEVER use this rediculous thing again.

8. Jillian B says:

Justin C I can not agree more! Everything you said came right out of my head! I too got the go ahead to cancel my check pretty quickly but the funds won’t be available for 8 days? How exactly is that saving me time and money? I guess not having it available for me to spend is the money saving part. As for the time… Absolutely not. I will never NEVER use this rediculous thing again.