Free, Taxes
comments

IRS Free File Program Details

Basically, if your adjusted gross income is under $52,000, you are eligible to participate in the IRS’ Free File program:

The Free File program is a free federal tax preparation and electronic filing program for eligible taxpayers developed through a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Free File Alliance LLC, a group of private sector tax software companies. … Free File allows taxpayers with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $52,000 or less in 2006 to e-file their federal tax returns for free. That means 70 percent of all taxpayers – 95 million taxpayers – can take advantage of the Free File program.

So, if you’re eligible, don’t waste money buying tax preparation software or services because you’re eligible to get it for free, just keep an eye out for upselling tactics (where they try to get you to buy other services, that’s why they’re offering federal absolutely free). Check the Free File site after the 16th of January for further details!

10 Responses to “IRS Free File Program Details”

1. Miller says:

You know, I can’t comprehend why they charge people to efile anyway. Doesn’t it save them money since it’ll automatic??? Actually, if someone could explain this to me, I’d appreciate it, cus I think its complete a scam!

2. Ben says:

Miller: I think it’s a scam as well. That’s why I still print and mail all my forms every year. It’s cheaper for me to make them manually enter my info. There is no reason why anyone should have to pay to file their taxes.

3. jim says:

Ben – it’s not cheaper because you lose money on the postage and the printing. Plus if they manually enter it, it costs the taxpayer more money.

4. eROCK says:

Thanks, I think I might just make it under $52K :-)

5. Ben says:

Jim: All I’m saying is in the past I haven’t been able to find a free (or cheaper than 2 stamps) option to e-file. I’ll certainly take advantage of this Free File program, assuming my AGI is below the limit.

As far as costing the IRS more manual labor, I see absolutely no need to charge ANYONE for the e-filing service, when it’s already saving them money.

6. jim says:

You’ll find no argument from me about e-filing being free, I’m just saying that it sounded like you were filing on paper out of spite (more manual labor for them, ha ha ha).

I think e-filing should definitely be free, it’s like charging for direct deposit.

7. NCN says:

Jim, Thanks for this post. It was informative and easy to understand. Good job! NCN

8. Everyone is eligible to prepare their taxes and efile their returns with TaxAct software (http://www.taxact.com/). I use this for my federal return and then I use the WebFile program that the state of Kansas provides for my state return. All returns are done electronically and I usually get my return via direct deposit within 2 weeks of filing. I’ve used TaxAct for 3 years now and it does as good a job as the retail products from Intuit and H&R Block.

9. HC says:

I second Amber. TaxAct is great. Having a state with its own filing system is also great.

I’ll probably review the new version after I’ve spent some more time with it.

10. HC says:

Or Ashley, if I could read.