Personal Finance
comments

My Journey: Handwriting 100 Letters for McDonald’s Monopoly Pieces (Part 2)

Letters 3This series chronicles my journey to hand-write 100 letters to McDonald’s requesting Monopoly Game Pieces for their annual Monopoly Game sweepstakes. The game rules state that McDonald’s will mail back 2 game pieces if a participant sends a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) to McDonald’s. There is no mention of a limit on the number of requests a participant can send, so I’m sending in 100 letters to see if 1) I can make back the money I spent on stamps and envelopes (around $117), 2) to see if McDonald’s will live up to their claim and honor my 100 letters and 3) see if I win any cool stuff! For more details on how my journey began, read part 1.

In part 1 of My Journey, I figured out my supplies, made a few stops at the office supply store, and made sure I had the right McDonald’s address. Now it’s writin’ time.

Step 5: Let the writing begin!

Writing Letters

So now I have everything laid out and I’m ready to write, write, write (and write). I start with the request envelopes, so I’m writing the McDonald’s address in the center and my return address in the top left. As you can see, my handwriting is pretty much a modern form of hieroglyphics, so I have to make sure to be as legible as possible and not allow my legibility to taper off as I progress.

Step 6: Re-writing letters (Fail #2)

Fail 2

The downfall of speed-writing. I end up writing a few of the addresses upside down. This isn’t a huge deal, but like I said in part 1, I want to make this as dead-simple as possible for the poor sap who has to send all these back. So I’ll rewrite 10 or so envelopes.

Step 7: Stamping

Stamping Rd.1

I have 100 request letters written, and It’s time to start stamping these bad boys.

A few minutes and later and…

Stamps success 1

Success!

This was actually one of the easier steps thanks to the stamps coming in roll form. This would have been 10 times more arduous having to peel off from a sheet, I think.

Step 8: Writing the return SASE envelopes

Return writing

Writing the SASE envelopes is pretty easy, since I don’t have to write any other information besides my own address.

Written Returns

Whew. Got that knocked out fairly easy. Now it’s time to stamp these suckers.

Stamped envelopes done

Done. I’m getting close now :)

Step 9: Envelope stuffing

Stuffing

I can see the finish line ahead. This is one of the last steps and I’m burning through it quickly.

Done

Huzzah!

Letters

One last oogle at my conquest before the next step :P

Step 10: Mailing time!

Mailing 1

Time to chuck’em in the mail box.

Mailing 2

Good riddance! The annoying part is that I have no idea when to expect McDonald’s to send my return envelopes back with my pieces inside. Who knows how long it will take for them to send 100 return envelopes with 400 total Monopoly game stamps. I’m wondering if I’m going to get them back in bulk, or a few return envelopes every couple days. We’ll see. The contest is scheduled to run for a few more weeks, so look out for part 3 whenever I start getting envelopes back!

Here’s Part 3!

Additional Photography provided by Offain Gunasekara

20 Responses to “My Journey: Handwriting 100 Letters for McDonald’s Monopoly Pieces (Part 2)”

1. michael says:

Awesome. :-) How long did it take you?

• Brandon says:

I’d say I spent a good 2 afternoons writing everything. I’ll tally all my time up in the final piece :)

2. That looks like it was painful. Hopefully you get them back soon. When do the free food pieces expire?

3. ziglet19 says:

I’m a little lazy, I would have busted out some return address labels on the printer if I could, less writing!

• Brandon says:

From the rules:

“Requests that are sent in business reply envelopes that utilize address labels or stickers (for any address), that are photocopied, hand-stamped, computer-generated or otherwise mechanically or digitally produced or reproduced, that are not mailed in separate outer stamped mailing envelopes, or that otherwise fail to comply with these Official Rules will NOT be honored…”

They’re serious about this :)

4. Martha says:

Yep, I would have used up all those free address labels on them, but them maybe that wouldn’t count… Can you do a few to see which one(s) don’t get returned w/game pieces? A little experiment if you will? :)

5. Coryn says:

What did you write on the letter that you inserted into the envelopes (the request letter)? Thanks! And good luck!!

6. Yvonne says:

What day did you put them in the mail and what day did you get them back?

7. Mel says:

Hey Brandon
    Did you get the game pieces back yet? Have you won anything from the pieces or where they all the same pieces?

Mel

8. NatalieB says:

This is such work! I’m glad someone is doing it to see if all they claim is true. (i.e. 1-in-4 wins, and “purchase not neccessary to win”)
    Avidley checking back for updates!

9. Brandon says:

Hey guys,

I got 98 of the 100 letters back on Monday (10/15/2012). Still going through them all (392 pieces to peel!) but I’ll be making a Part 3 with all the deets soon enough! Thanks :)

10. Emily says:

Question: I’m so psyched about all 392 pieces for you to peel, but I’m wondering about entering them in the online game? At the limit of 10 a day you’ll never finish!
    Has anyone tried opening multiple online accounts? Is that illegal?
    I’m running out of time to get my pieces entered!

11. SwearJar says:

This is really really interesting to me for some odd reason. I’ll be looking for the update!

12. This is interesting because it is something that most wouldn’t even consider doing. Hope you like your McD’s and good luck!

13. Anonymous says:

Did you send the envelope with nothing but the return envelope in it? You don’t have to ask for the monopoly at all..? You just send te envolope?