Bank Deals
comments

KeyBank iPod Touch New Account Bank Deal

Key BankSometimes I wonder if KeyBank has some sort of deal with Apple because they love giving away iPod nanos and iPod touches as new account bonus promotions. This time, it’s an iPod touch for their Key Express Free Checking and Key Advantage Money Market Checking accounts. If you fancy a Key Privilege Checking or Key Privilege Select Checking account, you get both an iPod touch and a $25 iTunes gift card for your troubles.

It’s not clear what version of the iPod touch you’ll get but the 32GB 3rd Generation unit costs $260 on Amazon.com.

Key Express Free Checking, Advantage Money Market Checking

Open a Key Express Free Checking or an Advantage Money Market Checking by July 30, 2010, make one KeyBank Rewards debit card transaction, and either two direct deposits or automated payments each of $100 or more by October 1, 2010 to get a free iPod Touch. Qualified direct deposits are limited to payroll, Social Security, pension, and government benefits. Automated payments exclude Key Bill Pay, debit card automated payments, PayPal® transactions, and account-to-account balance transfers. You will receive the iPod touch within 90 days of meeting the requirements.

Key Privilege Checking, Key Privilege Select Checking

The requirements for the iPod touch and the $25 iTunes gift card mirror that of the iPod touch alone except the eligible accounts are the Key Privilege Checking and the Key Privilege Select Checking accounts. The difference is that Key Privilege Checking has a $25,000 minimum combined balance across all KeyBank accounts and Key Privilege Select Checking has a $100,000 minimum combined balance.

This deal is available in Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.

Here is the bank promotion page.

The KeyBank Rewards Program has a $20 annual fee that is waived for the first year. As expected, the value of the iPod touch and the $25 iTunes® card will be reported on a Form 1099-INT.

12 Responses to “KeyBank iPod Touch New Account Bank Deal”

1. Steven says:

Where is this promotion available?

The offer is not available in all areas. Individuals and businesses will only be eligible in the following districts: Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.

Darn…

2. eric says:

There needs to be a KeyBank in my area… :)

3. Cybershaman says:

I satisfied all of the requirements to receive my iPod but when I called to confirm this they said that we didn’t get a “Marketing Number” when we opened our account and therefore were not eligible. I rechecked the rules at https://www.key.com/gen/html/mkt-q210-touch-faq.html and saw no mention of this requirement. The branch manager I spoke to is looking into this and I am awaiting a call back. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that this hidden detail will disqualify us. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, did it get resolved? This sounds to me like an unfair business practice. If having a Marketing Number is a requirement then it should be clearly stated on the rules page. Since it is not, I believe we are owed one iPod Touch… :)

• Stephanie says:

They are jerking us off as well:/ we are calling the local news station tomorrow to report:)!!!

4. Kirby says:

Do not sign up with Key Bank for any offers. Their customer service is awful and they do not keep their promises. We never received our IPOD touch even though we were told repeatedly that we were qualified and would receive it (months ago). Now they finally said we wouldn’t get it even though I have gone in their over and over to inquire about it. I will update if anything changes, but watch out.

• Don M says:

Their customer service has been horrendous to me as well. I was told I was eligible but never received the i Pod touch. When I called I was told “we have 90 days to fulfill the offer so don’t bother us.” After the 90 days I was told “I have great news. You will receive. your i Pod within 45 days.” No paperwork or official verification was sent. When I asked at the local branch they took a day to call me back and said “Great news, your i Pod will arrive within 45 days.” There seems to be no end to their unwillingness to solve the problem. If I follow their time lines, It will be near 8 months waiting for the i Pod. Meanwhile the models have changed as well as the specifications. They seem to think I am totally unreasonable and should just shut up and wait! After all it WILL BE HERE WITHIN 45 DAYS JUST LIKE THEY PROMISED IN 90 DAYS. RIGHT?

• Jesse says:

My mother had the same experience. She was told that she was eligible and qualified to receive the i-pod touch. She called the local branch many times after waiting for 90 days. My mother was told repeatedly that she would receive it weeks ago. She got nothing. The branch manager kept saying that she was looking into it. Now, it has been 110+ days, she has no news, nothing. They seem to think that my mother is old and should just shut up and go away!

5. Paula says:

I got sucked in by the promo, opened my account online and started transacting. I called them 4 times to make sure I was doing everything right and every single time, I was given different instructions on how the automatic payments had to be done. In all cases I was told I was doing everything I needed to. On the last day I called again and was told that yes, I had fulfilled everything and would get my touch. Two weeks ago I called on the status and told I had not qualified because I didn’t have a rewards card. Well, who sent me the card? And how about all those folks who looked at my account and told me I qualified? A supervisor looked at my account, said she could see I made several calls, and if I was told I qualified, Key would stand by that. She assured me she’d call me “Monday”. Nothing. I left two messages and started posting complaints on their site. They followed up with “she’ll call you today”. Twice, then finally she called, said it was in management’s hands, she understood, but son of a gun – somehow the recording of my call where they said I qualified cannot be retrieved. Hmmmm! She assured me she would call me on Monday, and now it’s late Wednesday night. I have worked in banks on debit cards for 13+ years and I have NEVER encountered such horrible customer service, or a rip off like this.

6. Leanne Haken says:

Paula, I had an eerily similar situation earlier this year when trying to claim my free Garmin GPS I was promised.

To anyone here who is fighting to get what is owed to them, keep fighting! It took me almost a year from the time I opened my account until the day I received my GPS. I eventually started hounding the branch manager at one of the local banks and she managed to get it taken care of. I think it just takes being persistent and they’ll eventually realize it’s easier to just send out the product to get you to go away! lol

Oh, and Paula, they claimed I wasn’t signed up for the Rewards program as well, until I faxed them a copy of my card that clearly said ‘reward’ on it!

7. ron says:

kI too have been cheated out of a Ipod from Key Bank. Apparently another rule is that your account must be opened when the send the Ipod.(nowhere is this written in the promotion, only that it must be opened till 10/1 and closing the bank account within 180 days will incur a 25 charge) Apparently, while the bank account does not require a minimum balance, it will still close if there is about a month period of inactivity (as I was informed by the banker). THerefore eventhough I met all the “requirements” on the promotion page, I am still not eligible for an Ipod because my bank closed due to inactivity before they had sent the Ipod. Again, nowhere is this written, but somehow we are supposed to know. This is clearly a deceptive practice, and given more voices perhaps something could be done.