Your Take
comments

Your Take: Was Lasik Surgery Worth It?

Today the Your Take is a bit of a selfish question about Lasik, something I’m starting to consider more seriously again. I first wrote about this a few years ago when I considered Lasik eye surgery but never pulled the trigger (I went as far as to schedule just one consultation but was a little turned off at the “used car salesman” sales tactics).

If you’ve had Lasik, I’m curious if you thought the laser surgery was “worth it?” Everything I’ve ever heard from people has been positive, outside of the relatively high costs, and I’m curious to hear from people on both sides. Are there folks who were unhappy? How much did it cost and where was it performed? Are there folks who can be more specific about what they like about their experience? I’ll probably consider it next year, especially since it seems the liquid travel restrictions on flights won’t be lifted anytime soon, and was trying to gather more information.

Thanks!

66 Responses to “Your Take: Was Lasik Surgery Worth It?”

1. billsnider says:

I guess one can conclude that the risks are worth it.

Bill Snider

2. Andy L says:

I just had Lasik Done 2 weeks ago, Costs 3,700 dollars. Best money spent.

What made it better was that I used my HSA money to pay for it, so I got it tax free!

It’s better to get it when your younger (mid-20′s) than when you’re older. When you get to around 40, your lens naturally stiffens up and you may need reading glasses (whether you actually do or not depends alot on your genes). If you wait and get lasik, you’ll miss out on more time in your life without having to wear glasses.

If you can get it now, get it now. It’s now entirely painless, and super fast. entire procedure for two eyes takes less than 10 min. All you have to do is try not to move your head or your eyes, but evne if you do, the actual laser machine can track your eyeballs and compensate so you don’t have to worry about messing it up.

Right after the procedure you can see instant results, and as your eyes heal, your vision just keeps improving.

IMO, most reputible places will include follow up visits in the quoted price, and you should have a follow up the day after, two weeks, 6 months and 1 year at least. the company I went with, Lasikplus, also offers lifetime touch-ups included in the price, if your vision fades, they will touch up your eyes to correct it. You can only do so many touch-ups though, and it depends on the thickness of your corneas.

3. Ariel says:

I had LASIK done in 1998 in Vancouver, Canada. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My eyes have not bothered me and the healing process was quick. My vision was so bad that the doctors informed me I may not experience the best results and they had to take numerous measurements to verify that I was indeed eligible. Being able to wake up in the middle of the night and see the clock was amazing…to name only one benefit. There are just too many to list. My life completely changed for the better after the surgery.
    I would do the surgery again without thinking twice.
    Good Luck!

4. Caitlin says:

My husband had it done a year ago, and thinks it was the best money he ever spent.

His hobbies tend to require face protection (paintball, fencing, scuba diving) and it’s always a choice between not wearing your glasses and not seeing properly, or wearing your glasses under the equipment and risk having it not sit properly.

He loves not needing glasses anymore. He’s a bit surgery-phobic, and he got through it just fine, and without pain (but there IS some definite discomfort – like when they are putting stinging drops into your eyes!) and he would recommend the process to anyone.

5. anita says:

same here I got it done this year in April I believe, I used my HRA or HSA to pay for it. It was the best 3 grand spent. I love how I can read road signs and things are crisp. I never thought I”d be able to get rid of my coke bottle glasses. I had it done near Columbia Mall Lasik plus only because 3 of my friends/coworkers had it done there. I rather do it at a reputable company than onet hat offers coupons.

6. anita says:

you can see clear the next day! painless. absolutely painless.
    they run tests on you to see if you’re a candidate , not everyone is. My mild astigmatism was gone after the surgery. if you have questions feel free to email me. My bf made the mistake of looking at the tv monitor he said he wanted to puke when he saw them poking my eye and slicing the top layer. you dont see much. it goes black for a few seconds then you’re good again

7. Carolyn H Cook says:

Well…my husband & I BOTH had LASIK at an “outlet”clinic in Eufaula,AL (later moved to Auburn,AL) and it was a total disaster. Neither of us can read without glasses. My eye got infected from a minute particle on the blade and I nearly lost all vision in it. After putting out lots of copay, medicine costs, travel time to a specialist in Montgomery, I was able to see in that eye. I then went to the “dr” and demanded a refund – which he promtply gave me. The cost for my surgery was $400.00. My husband had both eyes done and his was $800.00. Guess you get what you pay for, huh? ps: the surgeon who saved my eye begged me to report the dr to the state medical association, but in AL that bunch is useless. If anybody wants to know the name of a dr to never use, e-mail me. Carolyn Cook

8. Adriana says:

I had Lasik in 2005 and have not regretted it for one moment. I wake up seeing clearly, I can go swimming without worrying about my contacts, and I don’t have to worry about a tearing a contact, or an eye infection if I left my contacts in for too long. And the money saved from not having to fill prescriptions for contacts and glasses, not to mention all the cleaning supplies for contacts.
    My vision is still clear almost 6 years later.
    Best decision ever.

9. jsbrendog says:

i am quite skeptical. a friend had it done in college and the doctor messed up one eye so he had to weasr glasses with one placebo lens and one prescription one for a year before they could redo the surgery. not worth it to me. i dont mind my glasses…it’s already been 18 yrs, what’s a few more

10. Wil Possible says:

I suppose the lasik technology has improved so much now there may be less to worry about. I have seen lasik-horror stories on TV as well as first hand stories from friends. I had a friend who had lasik done and everything was smooth until she got pregnant and her body started to change. She soon lost her vision completely and to this day is blind.

I guess lasik is OK for adults who’s bodies are not going thru stages of growth. I am 36 and my eye sights are bad but I am still afraid to get my eyes done. I prefer contact lenses.

11. Anonymous says:

My LASIK lasted twelve years before it even had a slight change. It was totally worth it. I can’t believe anyone wouldn’t have it done. If my eyesight gets bad again I will have it done a second time.

12. Meleahschrepel says:

Best thing I ever did!

13. Rachel says:

I had LASIK surgery in 4/2008. Best money I EVER spent. It cost me a total of $3400 for both eyes. My eyes had rejected contacts – all kinds. Hard, soft, yearly, bi-weekly, daily, you name it.

I am very active and when I was in college I played pick-up soccer 4x a week, was a member of the run club, and I coached track. My glasses were ALWAYS getting in the way.

Just had my vision checked last week and I have 20/10 vision still. Like I said, best money ever spent.

The procedure was painless and quick.