Everyone talks about protecting all of your important financial documents but what if you aren’t entirely sure what’s important and what’s junk? Do you need to stick your credit card statements into a safe deposit box? Below I’ll try to list all of the important financial documents so that you can either 1) stick them in a safe place or 2) can replacement them if you’ve recently suffered a catastrophe that has destroyed them.
- Birth certificates
- Social Security cards
- Driver’s licenses
- DD214 – Military discharge papers
- Marriage/divorce papers
- Living will, copy of unsigned will
- List of bank accounts with bank contact information
- List of credit card numbers with bank contact information
- Title to your car(s), insurance documents, registration
- Deed to your house, mortgage & insurance documents
- Tax returns, W2s (Thanks AJ)
If I’ve missed anything, please do let me know!