Every year, Warren Buffett auctions off lunch at Smith & Wollensky steakhouse in midtown Manhattan. The winner gets to bring seven of his closest friends for some steaks and salads with the Oracle.
Last year, the winner decided to remain anonymous after forking over $2.63 million for lunch with Buffett. Despite the recession, which reduced the take in 2009 to a “mere” $1.68 million, down from $2.11 million, 2010’s haul reversed the downward trend.
Here are past winners:
- 2003 – $250,100 – David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital hedge fund,
- 2004 – $202,100 – Jason Choo of Singapore (later increased his donation to an even $250k)
- 2005 – $351,100 – Opted to remain anonymous
- 2006 – $620,100 – Yongping Duan, a famous Chinese business figure who founded Subor Electronics Industry Corporation and BKK Electronics Group.
- 2007 – $650,100 – Two investors, Mohnish Pabrai, of Pabrai Investment Funds, and Guy Spier of Aquamarine Capital Management LLC. Pabrai will pay 2/3s, Spier the other third.
- 2008 – $2.11 million – Zhao Danyang, who runs the Pureheart China Growth Investment Fund in Hong Kong.
- 2009 – $1.68 million – Courtenay Wolfe, president and chief executive of Canadian hedge fund Salida Capital.
- 2010 – $2.63 million – Opted to remain anonymous
As always, you need to pre-qualify at www.LunchWithWarrenBuffett.com (auction starts on eBay on June 5th, so you have some time) and proceeds go to San Francisco charity GLIDE.