Personal Finance
comments

Most Valuable Regular U.S. Coin

Every time I get home, I pull out any change I have and throw it into a small container. As I was pulling out quarters to put in my car, I noticed a nickel that looked different from the one beside it. It was a 1941-P (it actually didn’t have a letter, which means it was minted in Philadelphia) and looked more gray than the 2001-P right next to it. Not being a numismatist, I searched online to see if there was anything special about it.

There wasn’t, it was just old and beat up. They wouldn’t be a little more special until mid-1942, until 1945) when “Wartime Nickels” were produced. Wartime nickels were made of 56% Copper, 35% Silver, and 9% Manganese rather than 75% Copper and 25% Nickel.

That led me to reading more about coins and learning about the most valuable regular U.S. coin. I wanted to find a coin you could conceivably have in your pocket or piggy bank and just not know. I wasn’t looking for the 1805 Silver Dollar, worth $10.1 million, or the 1933 Double Eagle, worth $8.5 million (more exceptionally valuable U.S. coins). If you have one of those, you know it.

No, I wanted a regular coin.

1969-S Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent
Do you know what the most valuable U.S. coin is? If you guessed it’s the one pictured above, the 1969-S Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent, then you’d be right. It’s a penny minted in 1969 at San Francisco where the obverse, the side with Lincoln’s face, was doubled up. The blurriness of the obverse isn’t because the picture is blurry, it’s because it’s been doubled stamped.

The coin is worth $86,250 according to this auction, which ended earlier this year.

Do you have one of these? :)

171 Responses to “Most Valuable Regular U.S. Coin”

1. jkid says:

i have like 50 of those

2. TRISTAN says:

i have a 1969 s but i am not sure how to know if it is real please tell me

3. Serena says:

I have like 2 of these 1969-S pennies. Do you want?

4. Serena says:

I have like 2 of these 1969-S pennies. Do you want?

5. Rob says:

These pennies are worthless, I have thousands of them. The one pictured above is not a double died coin. it’s worth 1 penny.

6. Anonymous says:

i have one too thats real

because the magnet didnt stick

7. Booker T says:

The important thing to note is the coin being referenced is a mint error. The coin without the error is pretty worthless. The shape of the coin also plays a major factor. That is a major contributing factor to coin value. The coin in the picture does not have a double die obverse

8. debbie says:

i found a 1969-s penny but is not double die, does that mean its worthless?
    please contact asap

9. sean says:

I found 1969 s and not sure how to confirm the doubling. I have a 1969 d and placed them side by side and there are some small differences to the naked eye. Also did the magnet test and it didn’t stick what else can I do???? Will post pics, as soon as I figure out how ….. LOL

10. Brian says:

Just found one today at the restaraunt I work at. I check the tip tray each time and find nice stuff, got a wartime nickel and a silver half dollar. The penny shocked me though still trying to figure out if its real.

11. JJ says:

Hallo, I have a 1969 s one cent. Lincoln. And a 1943 also. Can you please be so kind as to let me know what they are worth. Condition good.

JJ

12. celenne says:

i have to 1969s penneys and i wondered if they were the real pennesy that i here mentioned alot? please let me know? i have other coins also?

13. Anonymous says:

i have a penny with a small o on it and a 1937 wheat back

• LUV2JOURNEY says:

What year is the penny? Where is this O located on the coin? Unless that 1937 is uncirculated and bright red it’s worth 1.5 cents or keep it, put it in a better coin folder or album.

LUV2JOURNEY

14. harris says:

i have coins from 1937 to 1979 i need help to find what i got

• LUV2JOURNEY says:

Harris,
      What do you need help with? What kind of coins? My guess is they are circulated. If anyone on here wants a good book for all US coin mintages and the top errors you need to buy a Redbook, that’s what they are called, they have a Red cover and a new one comes out every year. I can give you info on where to get one if you want, just try contacting me on here first, if you can’t we will go to Plan B.
      LUV2JOURNEY

15. Anonymous says:

i have 4 silver pennies any good????

• Draven says:

Silver pennys are always good, check year and mint on google, you may find some good info to run with

• allison says:

well,first you need to find out if it’s real silver-because it might be steel.either way,your in luck.steel penies are usaly reffered to as “war pennies.” because they were made of steel so durring world war 2,they could save more copper.they stated that they saved over 200,000,00 lb’s of copper. pretty intresting huh??!! -well,good luck!! :)

• LUV2JOURNEY says:

Anonymous,
      They are not Silver, they are Steel and they must be bright since you thought they were Silver, most are rusty looking because Steel rusts. Do any of these have Mint Marks on the obverse? You would be looking for a ‘D’ or ‘S’, most modern coins that were minted in Philadelphia do not have a mint mark. The D stands for the Denver Mint and the S stands for the San Francisco Mint. Put a magnet on them and let me know what happens?

16. JUN says:

i have an 1969s penny and i was woundering if its real please help

• LUV2JOURNEY says:

They are all real but you are trying to find a characteristic on a 1969-S Lincoln that can only be found on the 1943-P, D or S Lincoln cent. This was the only coin and date ever minted on steel, it was a one year type of coin. If you try a magnet on the 1943 you will see that the magnet works. If for some reason the 1943 P, D or S minted cents did not stick to the magnet, then you need to find a local reputable Coin Dealer who is an authorized dealer for NGC or PCGS (meaning they can submit coins to either grading service. PCGS & NGC are the two top coin grading services in the US. One last very important thing about handling ANY coin, do not put your fingers all over ANY coin, pick them up by the edge or rim, if you pick it up on the inside fields the oil from your fingers will get on there and you may not see it right away but over time your print will surface and ruin that or any coin for life and depreciates the coins value.

17. Loser says:

Yall Aree some weirdos

• Draven says:

You know, this may be weird to you, but I found a 1789 coin at an auction, paid 435.00 for it and turned a profit of 75000 dollars. so weird or not to you, this is a hobby if you dont like it then stop coming to the blog.

• allison says:

yeah,draven’s right! we find making money,from money if fun.and if you don’t like it,why the hell are you on this site!!?? and it’s also the excitenment of knowing you can transform the ragedy old penny you found on the floor,into thousands of $$’s

18. Aaron Russell says:

i have one of these coins and i would like to have it authenticated to be sold. Where do i go from here?

19. Amy says:

I have a 1969d coins is it worth any thing I also have a1988 an a 1995?

20. Mariyon Collins says:

i have one of these pennies.how can i sell it?

21. Anonymous says:

i have a 2 ..S pennies 1 is 1968 and 1 is 1969 ..and in the 1968 .. Lincoln his head is bigger than the rest of coins we have

22. mikey says:

i have a 1968 and a 1969 Lincoln pennies but on the 1968 the Lincoln his head is bigger than the rest of pennies we have

23. Charles says:

I got this coin!

24. Kip says:

Im tryin to figure out the value of a penny I have it’s a 1969 d penny with Lincoln. In the front but smooth in the back absolutely no words or pictures
    Tried finding some info but failed. So please help.

• allison says:

take it to a coin colecter.but DON’T make the mistake of giving in to the first person who wants it.go to a couple different ones,so you can find the highsest value.because some people want it more than others,and will pay,double,even tripple wat it’s worth. <(not it's original value,but higher.)i did exactaly that,and ended up gettin 374$ for a 1957 dime!!

• LUV2JOURNEY says:

Kip,
      Where did you look and couldn’t find info? The 1969-D is worth a penny unless it’s uncirculated and a very high grade red cent.

25. Anonymous says: