Personal Finance
comments

Most Valuable Regular U.S. Coin

Every time I get home, I pull out any change I have and throw it into a small container. As I was pulling out quarters to put in my car, I noticed a nickel that looked different from the one beside it. It was a 1941-P (it actually didn’t have a letter, which means it was minted in Philadelphia) and looked more gray than the 2001-P right next to it. Not being a numismatist, I searched online to see if there was anything special about it.

There wasn’t, it was just old and beat up. They wouldn’t be a little more special until mid-1942, until 1945) when “Wartime Nickels” were produced. Wartime nickels were made of 56% Copper, 35% Silver, and 9% Manganese rather than 75% Copper and 25% Nickel.

That led me to reading more about coins and learning about the most valuable regular U.S. coin. I wanted to find a coin you could conceivably have in your pocket or piggy bank and just not know. I wasn’t looking for the 1805 Silver Dollar, worth $10.1 million, or the 1933 Double Eagle, worth $8.5 million (more exceptionally valuable U.S. coins). If you have one of those, you know it.

No, I wanted a regular coin.

1969-S Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent
Do you know what the most valuable U.S. coin is? If you guessed it’s the one pictured above, the 1969-S Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent, then you’d be right. It’s a penny minted in 1969 at San Francisco where the obverse, the side with Lincoln’s face, was doubled up. The blurriness of the obverse isn’t because the picture is blurry, it’s because it’s been doubled stamped.

The coin is worth $86,250 according to this auction, which ended earlier this year.

Do you have one of these? :)

171 Responses to “Most Valuable Regular U.S. Coin”

1. Anonymous says:

have a 1969 s penny!! Please E mail me regaurding this.I need to know If this is the right one. visnu

• ramesh says:

dear sir

tommorow ill sen to you photo of this coin

From – Ramesh

• ramesh says:

Hellow sir

good after noon

Please sir send me your E-address becouse i have to send images/

Ramesh
      dbcindia13@gmail,com

2. Kellee Rodman says:

I just was wondering how do you get in on the auctions or even bid on auctions not that I have money but I would love to see how it is done.

3. rozer says:

i have 1969 doubled die lincoin one cent
    if you want to buy please let me know send me email at my email

or i have 60 pics one rupees silver coin or republic of india coin 2000 pics
    papper note 2700 pics quarter anna 1000 pics or much moor items i like to sell all those coins or papper notes i am looking good buyer

4. ramesh says:

i have world top coin Exceedingly goin
    if any body want to buy this coin please let me know by e-mail if you need picture please let me know this is worl rarest coin

This coin is Exceedingly Rare
    1969-s lincoln one cent with doubled die obverse coin

RAMESH
    E-dbcindia13@gmail.com

5. ramesh says:

i like to sell this coin– exceedingly rare this is american one cent mint marg sen Francisco

1969-s Linclon with double die obverse
    this world rarest coin

if any body want to buy please let me know

or i like to sell one rupees silver coins of britisn -india any body intersted please let me know also quarter anna 2000 pics

thankyou

George VI–1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947

Half rupee silver coin
    1/2 rupee—1/4 anna–1/12 anna—1 anna –2 anna

quaretr anna copper coin victoria-edward-georgev–or VI 1000 pics

and Republic of india coin or papper note also rarest 1000 pics

Also — Orginal DZI beads 3 eyes (ji mala) i like to sell

if any body want buy any items please let me know

Ramesh
    Contact me 91-9711796156

7. ramesh says:

thankyou replay me tommorow ill send to you pic of this coin

From:- Ramesh

8. shaylor lambert says:

Yes have one wanna auction off in bu condition 8177986195

9. ramesh says:

i have one 2 Euro coin and other side eagle mark, but somthing fuction in the coin like magnate
    please any body have knolage about this coin please let me know about this coin

10. Anonymous says:

please let me know about 2 euro coin beacouse i have that coin but somthing power in the coin like magnate power
    any body have idea of this coin????? what kind of metal in this coin? but this is not magnate

11. ramesh says:

yes i have 1969-s one cent good condation and i have 1982 same one cent / if any buyer want to buy thoese coin please contact me and i have lot of dime or other coin

thanks
    dbcindia13@gmail.com

12. sanath anura says:

I have 1969 s Lincoln one cent coin i want best price sell contact to me woodsa767@yahoo.com phone +94729005900

13. sanath anura says:

I have 1799 liberty silver bust dollar coin best coin i want sell this coin email woodsa767@yahoo.com phone +94729005900

14. sanath anura says:

I have 1910 Lincoln coin best face value i want sell this coin email-woodsa767@yahoo.com phone +94729005900

15. Anonymous says:

16. Marcella says:

I have a 1969s penny, I want to know how much its worth..

17. sophia says:

I hv a 1969 s penny unsure of wt 2 do… plz help

18. bryan says:

hello my name is bryan I’m from mexico tijuana to see this publication went to see my coins and found one from 1969 in my coins if anyone is interested this is my email bryan_rahudel@hotmail.com

19. caroline says:

I am Caroline,I live in Texas I was looking at my coins and a 1898 five cent and 1905 five cent coin ,is there anyone interested email law/order#fan.com

20. Diane says:

I have 21969 1cent coins how can you tell if any of them are double coated??

21. Diane says:

I’ve look at my peenies 1 has a D and the other has an s pretty hard to figure out if it’s double coated.

22. autumn says:

Yes i think I do one red and one not red how do i know for sure

23. steven says:

I believe I have 1969 S DD and a 1955 DD, I would like to sell them. Anyone interested?

24. Sebastian says:

I have it plz email me plz I beg of you ill srnd pics

25. abby gardner says: