NEWS
comments

New $100 Bill

New $100 FrontIf you’ve wondered why Benjamin Franklin’s expression on the $100 bill never changes, it’s because he’s been getting regular botox injections. He would love to show emotion, but unfortunately he can’t. This year, he’ll be getting a little more work done, his first since 1996.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing has created site with interactive tools that showcases the security features of the new $100 bill or you can check out their PDF explaining everything in great detail.

Here are some, but not all, of the cool new security features:

• 3-D Security Ribbon: You can’t miss it, it’s a blue ribbon that goes down the middle of the bill. When you tilt it, you will be able to see italics 100s written vertically. The ribbon is woven into the bill itself, it’s not on top of the paper.
  • Inkwell: There’s a new orange inkwell near Franklin’s left shoulder. When you tilt the bill, you will see the Liberty Bell in that inkwell.
  • Portrait Watermark: To the right of the Department of the Treasury Seal should be a portrait watermark, a feature that is in use on other redesigned bills.
  • Color shifting 100: Finally, the orange 100 in the lower right will change colors as you tilt it, a feature that was included in all recent bill redesigns.
  • Huge 100 on the Back: If you didn’t like the enormous 5 on the redesigned $5 bill, you might not like the gynormous gold 100 on the back of the new $100. Like on the $5, this was done to help those who are visually impaired.
  • Microprinting: “The United States of America” is printed in tiny letters on Franklin’s collar, “USA 100″ is around the blank space of the watermark, “One Hundred USA” along the golden quill, and finally 100s on the borders of the bill.

Here’s the back of the bill:
New $100 Back

What do you think? Like it? Hate it? Don’t care?

78 Responses to “New $100 Bill”

1. Jay Buerck says:

Looks like Vegas!

• Martha says:

It does! Makes me think that I’m not spending real money, maybe its to help the economy :)

• jsbrendog says:

we should eliminate bills and move to a chip based economy immediately.

• echidnina says:

Or we could go the sci-fi route and eliminate cash entirely – I bet that would stimulate the economy all right! A lot of people don’t think of debit/credit cards as “real money”.

• Glenn Lasher says:

The problem with that approach is that it will be very difficult to detect counterfeits. Chips themselves can only be manufactured in a few places, but once you have that, all it takes is a clever hacker to alter the contents of the chip. If you think that you can come up with an encryption scheme that will both work well and never be cracked, I would point you to the many, many times that the content industry has tried this. Do you know how easy it is to un-copy protect a DVD?

My wife also points out that crimes may become more violent because chips will be harder to find on a person than a wallet full of cash.

2. Kerry says:

I think it looks neat, but weird at the same time.

How much money does it to make one of these fancy notes now? (Across all the denominations)

3. Do you have any images without the “specimen” watermark? No particular reason why I’m asking …

On an unrelated note, I need to buy more green ink for my printer.

4. Craig/FFB says:

Hmm, I think I’ll need to see those in hand in order to make a judgment. Do you have any you can send my way? Haha.

Interesting how they change up the currency.

5. daenyll says:

I still feel that there needs to be some physical difference between bill denominations to help those with visual impairments better distinguish the currency, maybe with the 3d strip this will be a start to this kind of trend.

• Shirley says:

I agree because there are some low-sighted people in my family and I have seen first-hand the problems that paper money can cause.

There is a very small and inexpensive hand-held embosser that can be used to press the denomination in braille into the bills. It certainly has helped.

6. I’d actually like to see the people on money actually DOING something. Washington crossing the Delaware, Hamilton dueling with Burr, etc.

7. echidnina says:

Looks pretty ugly to me… Very busy.

8. Evan says:

I don’t get it? If they didn’t have a counterfiting problem before, why change it? However, if they did have a problem, that means the last one wasn’t that great (or did the criminals just get smarter)?

It just seems like the Mint changes money desig faster and faster now a days….maybe they are trying to justify some of their jobs

• Anthony says:

I was going to say the same thing. Also, if they are making these changes due to counterfeiting, I don’t know that a new bill will help.

Old $100 bills are still in circulation. If I were a criminal, I would still be counterfeiting the old ones!

• echidnina says:

Eventually the old bills will disappear. Paper money doesn’t have that long a lifespan. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see the old ‘small portrait’ bills hardly ever anymore.

• jsbrendog says:

they have to change with the times. as technology advances i can only imagine it becomes easier and easier to counterfeit these things. the mint is just trying to stay one step ahead i guess

• Shirley says:

There is definitely a big problem with counterfeiting and that IS the reason for the changes. Yes, the criminals (and available technology) are getting ‘smarter’ and/or the technology is becoming more widespread.

One thing for sure is that the changes in bills are keeping the bill-counting machine companies in business with the updates to the machines that toss out counterfeit bills while they are counting.

• Jerry Jones says:

They counterfeited money for a long time. I think they change the money so people can’t hoard cash. I know if you go to Europe and you have an old dolalr they squawk. So let’s say you have a couple million in old money and thye change the print. You would have to get that money into circulation. Because it has to be very difficult to counterfeit money now. With those pens they check.

9. CK says:

Looks good to me. Now back to killing the penny.

10. jsbrendog says:

looks kinda like play money…or at least much more similar to bills seen over seas, no?

• echidnina says:

It definitely does look more like other countries’ bills to me. Reminds me of UK money.

• Shirley says:

As a (former) bookkeeper we were notified of new bills coming out and the security measures contained in them.

When the first colored bill showed up, my immediate thought was that it looked like Monopoly money. It didn’t take more than a year before single-colored bills looked ‘old’. :-)

• jsbrendog says:

for some reason which I cannot put into words i love the purple $5 bill

i want them to update the $2 bill with the new flashiness

• Shirley says:

LOL! The new $2 bills have just started coming out. They are a ‘collectors series’ with each of the 50 states being represented.

11. zapeta says:

Interesting. Looks like monopoly money to me but it won’t stop me from accepting a $100 bill if someone want to donate one. :)

12. david f says:

uhhh… it’s the bureau of engraving and printing… not the mint.

the mint makes coins.

13. Chuck says:

I’ll never see one. The ATM gives out twenties, and anything more than that I use a credit card.

14. mm says:

A $500 bill is overdue.

15. Its a good new look and should make counterfeiting more difficult

16. javi says:

I like it. It’s more colorful and would use when they come out.

17. fairy dust says:

Don’t love it. Don’t hate it. Definitely want it. :)

18. billsnider says:

I was in Australia in 1995 and saw a very strange $100 bill. The USA issues the new bills about one year before they are introduced into this country. The reason is that the $100 is the most counterfieted money in the world. They have to keep these people off balance by doing this. The USA is not the biggest problem.

Bill Snider

19. Simple Llama says:

It’s about time the ol’ $100 bill gets an update. It was starting to look downright pedestrian next to the fancy multicolored fiver.

• echidnina says:

I wonder how many people actually take the time to counterfeit fives… I have always heard that the $20 is the most-spoofed bill, because it’s large enough to be worth the effort, but small enough not to arouse suspicion.

• Shirley says:

At the grocery store the faked single-colored $20 bill was definitely the most received. We even saw bills that were washed with new blue jeans or bleach to help cover up inconsistencies.

20. eric says:

It looks……..more colorful lol. I don’t have a strong opinion…heck, I didn’t even know we were getting a new design!

21. I really like it. It is much better than the new peach color Ten Dollar Bills. I like the green back.

22. Shirley says:

A fact about counterfeit bills that is not well known is that the receiver loses that money. If a business receives it and the bookkeeper later realizes that it is fake, the Police Dept must be called.

They take the bill as evidence with a statement from the person who accepted it.
    If it is accepted and deposited, the bank rejects it and the same thing happens. Either way the person or business who accepted the fake is out the money.

Thank goodness for the verification pens (although I’ve seen a few show a false positive) and bless the cashiers who use them!

23. I like the design of the new bill. The security features are pretty intense!

24. Brandon says:

I was going to say I hated it, but then I realized that I can’t remember the last time I had a $100 bill in my hand.

25. It looks really cool and as others have said, this bill is starting to look more like other countries bills.